Official Review: Self-Worth by LC Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: Self-Worth by LC Lee

Post by SamaylaM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Self-Worth" by LC Lee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental disorder wherein the diagnosed people are both confused and aggravated by the mechanisms of their brain. They could be extremely alert when engrossed and challenged in a particular task. But, they could also be unable to begin and maintain tasks that are tedious to them. Many health reports state that ADHD usually develops in children, and boys are more likely to face it than girls. In the following book, we get to witness sixty years of the author’s life influenced by ADHD. Stemming from that, we also see the deterioration of his self-worth and his efforts to defeat the negativity.

Self-Worth by LC Lee is a touching and brave autobiography of the author, which narrates his fight against ADHD throughout his life. The symptoms of ADHD, major defiance and impulsivity, came early in his childhood. As he grew, he went through several jobs such as roofing, tiling, automobile fixing, tool designing, aerospace engineering, and so on. He even enlisted in the military to tame himself. But, he had to face an unsuccessful marriage and lose two residences. He finally shifted his focus to literary writing after his retirement as an Aerospace engineer.

There were lots of things in this book that I liked. It is not always easy to speak openly about one’s failures and illness. The author’s story reveals the grave impulses and absence of self-awareness that the psychiatric society has disregarded. So, his courageousness and authenticity in expressing those were a praiseworthy element. An important part of this book showed how several of the author’s misfortunes could have been avoided if proper parental direction and medication was given. The story-telling in this book was also crafted nicely. Every story told by the author brought out different emotions for me. Mostly, I liked reading about his one true love, Kathleen. She made multiple adjustments to make a home with him throughout the ups and downs of their relationship.

However, I was a bit disappointed with the end of this book. It felt abrupt, and the conclusion seemed rushed. With the content of the whole book, I expected a lot more from the final part. I also found errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Therefore, I believe another round of editing would do this book good.

Hence, I would rate Self-Worth by LC Lee with 3 out of 4 stars. I had to deduct one star due to the aforementioned issues. As this book contains profanities and violence, it would not be a suitable read for younger audiences. Apart from that, readers wanting to learn more about ADHD can give this book a read. I would recommend it to adult readers and readers with ADHD relatives so that they can learn and spread proper awareness.

Self-Worth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author brings awareness to ADHD by sharing his personal story, which will help parents and caregivers better understand the condition.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Wonderful support for many people who are facing challenges in this context. I would love to read it.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I know several kids diagnosed with ADHD, and therefore, I find this book truly interesting. Finding out how the world looks like through someone’s eyes with ADHD might help to understand the world of these children. And also, the challenges they will face when growing up. I do hope they take your advice and correct the mistakes!

Thanks for this insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

ADHD is a burning topic, and how great that the author shared his personal struggles with readers! I would check it out despite the mentioned above flaws. Thank you so much for this great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The stats on children being diagnosed with ADHD are alarming. I'm glad that others who are battling this illness will learn a thing or two and find comfort knowing they are not alone. Thanks for the review Samayla!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Thank you for the warning on profanities and violence.
I will read this book for the sake of people I know who have ADHD.
May it help us understand more about the condition as well as the people who have it.
Thanks for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Fahri Amzyah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fahri Amzyah »

Wonderful support for many people who are facing challenges in this context. I would love to read it.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Fireside119 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 15:37 I like that the author brings awareness to ADHD by sharing his personal story, which will help parents and caregivers better understand the condition.
Yes, hopefully, it does.
Thank you for sharing the thought! :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 05:16 Wonderful support for many people who are facing challenges in this context. I would love to read it.
Thank you for stopping! :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 13:15 I know several kids diagnosed with ADHD, and therefore, I find this book truly interesting. Finding out how the world looks like through someone’s eyes with ADHD might help to understand the world of these children. And also, the challenges they will face when growing up. I do hope they take your advice and correct the mistakes!

Thanks for this insightful review!
It's wonderful to hear that this book might just aid your real-life interactions with children with ADHD that you know.
Thanks so very much for sharing and I hope you give it a read!
:tiphat:
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Ellylion wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 07:47 ADHD is a burning topic, and how great that the author shared his personal struggles with readers! I would check it out despite the mentioned above flaws. Thank you so much for this great review!
I hope you'd enjoy reading it!
Thank you for commenting! :D
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:41 The stats on children being diagnosed with ADHD are alarming. I'm glad that others who are battling this illness will learn a thing or two and find comfort knowing they are not alone. Thanks for the review Samayla!
I agree with your sentiment!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read!
:tiphat:
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 05:50 Thank you for the warning on profanities and violence.
I will read this book for the sake of people I know who have ADHD.
May it help us understand more about the condition as well as the people who have it.
Thanks for the review.
So good to know about it!
Thanks a lot for your positive feedback! :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Fahri Amzyah wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 13:10 Wonderful support for many people who are facing challenges in this context. I would love to read it.
Thank you for the comment! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”