Official Review: Starmap by Edward A. Ridgill, M.D.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: Kodiak Krazy by Pamela Joye Miller

Official Review: Starmap by Edward A. Ridgill, M.D.

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Starmap" by Edward A. Ridgill, M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Starmap: An Introductory Pictorial Tour of the Universe by Edward A. Ridgill, M.D. takes us through the Universe beyond Earth that we know. Have you ever wondered what lies out there? In this book, we explore the different galaxies, from the Milky Way, Andromeda, and Tadpole galaxies to the Cartwheel galaxy, while looking into the planets in the Milky Way galaxy, their features and compositions, and their stars. Then, we also learn about the origin of the Universe, the possibility of life outside Earth, and different means and instruments employed in conducting studies on the Universe. Join Edward A. Ridgill, M.D. on the journey to exploring the Universe as you pick up this book.

I found this book very informative, as I learned a lot of new things. I have always been fascinated by what the rest of the Universe is like. A few books and movies include some information concerning this, but here, the author does a thorough job. One of my favorite aspects of the book is how organized and accessible the information is. The author also employs a lot of images that have been taken by scientists to give readers a view of the positions of satellites and planets relative to Earth.

From the formation of stars and the Chelyabinsk Meteor that is the largest object to fall in Earth's atmosphere to the extinction of dinosaurs over 66 million years ago and the event horizon in a black hole, the book did not lack in intriguing information, and Edward A. Ridgill, M.D. does very well to include citations to verify his lessons and for more information at every point of the book. I would have appreciated a more in-depth look into the "Big Bang Theory" and the forms of evidence for it, however.

Also, Starmap: An Introductory Pictorial Tour of the Universe is not a professionally edited book. I found too many errors while reading, especially revolving around not capitalizing planet names and run-on sentences. These errors were quite distracting and greatly affected the flow of my reading. This was what I disliked the most about the book.

At just 131 pages in length of the book, the book may not have detailed information at times, but it is an easy read. The well-researched and educative nature of the book and the author's inclusion of relevant images mean that I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The errors I found convinced me against giving the book the maximum rating. Readers who enjoy astronomy and astrophysics will enjoy reading Starmap: An Introductory Pictorial Tour of the Universe.

Starmap
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Lessons from the Great Recession 2008….Mistrust, Dishonesty & Justice Dismissed by Frank McBrearity

Post by Nqobile771 »

At some point in life I was fascinated by astronomy and was privileged enough to see the surface of the moon through one of the largest telescopes in the southern hemisphere, S.A.LT. and I must say that it was a beautiful sight to see. I think this book will take me back and I might also learn of the latest developments in astronomy. Thanks for a detailed review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Pallavi Lakra
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

It is every Cosmo lovers concepts in one book. Would definitely read this. And hopefully the book will go through an edit to correct the errors.
Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”