What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 11:51 I think that this book should be taken as screen shots of her life and her perspective of how things have changed for her. She wrote both sides one as a patient with her own experiences and from the side of the practitioner.
Well, the experience to her must have been like looking through a mirror. But her main purpose in writing this book was not to empathize the reader towards her but to make him knowledgeable. Do all these personal details play a significant role in that?
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:32 At first, I thought that the first chapters you talked about weren't related, but after reading the entire volume, I found out that it was very helpful for me to relate to her as a common person who also needs health insurance plans because it's very common to read books that the author distances herself or himself from events, but the author here talked about her story too, making it easier to understand her motivations and to relate to the book too.
I see your point. Actually the author has really recognized the importance of good healthcare practice as well as having a good life insurance after being at the receiving end of all these after becoming a cancer patient. So it might have been easier for her to articulate the facts for her book and it is even easy for the reader to relate this book to their own selves.
Sushan Ekanayake

Buk Nerd wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:39 I don't see them as scattered pieces of information. I believe that by talking about her cancer and her background, the author is seeking to be as relatable as possible before sharing her knowledge about the business aspect of the healthcare system.
I too think that mentioning her own professional background is important for a this sort of book because it adds a validity to its content. A non-medical person too can write this sort of a book after extensive research. But there is a high chance for such a person to miss certain crucial stuff since he/she is not inside the business. But here this author is doing this revelation while being in the system, which gives it an extra validity.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I liked the content regarding her life, it all helped to display her life as a real person and not just a doctor who knows a lot about the healthcare system. I think all this information combined was very useful to highlight many issues for the reader to think about.
Elendu Clement
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement.html
Latest Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Post by Elendu Clement »

I think she is not trying to bore her readers off by discussing only a disease the fact that she added stories from her personal life made the story more interesting.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I felt like she kept the book more conversational, making it an easier read. It did feel disjointed at times, but connected at other times. Ultimately, I think she did the best she could with the information that she was trying to convey.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I think the author included snippets of her life to prevent the book from being overly technical. They may or may not be connected to some readers but I’m not American and I found reading about their health care system to be a little overwhelming. Reading about the author's life was a wonderful way to balance things out for me and I enjoyed the way the author handled it.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

They seem like pieces of a puzzle. They were completing each other and, at the end, there were no questions unanswered.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel that every chapter was interconnected and they all followed each other but they also could be read in any order while still making sense. I was able to follow the chronological progression of her life and it was very effective.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I find that many other books dealing with medical issues, whether about self-advocacy or symptoms analyses, can be quite dry. The author makes her points succinctly and by placing them within the context of her own experiences, adds a personal touch that makes the information more easily understood and acceptable. Personally, the structure was perfect for a little book like this and I plan to recommend it to a lot of people, particularly younger men and women so as to get a leg up on their medical issues before the legs start to weaken!
Sushan Ekanayake

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 23:16 “Knowledge is power”. This proves to be true by reading the journey of a woman with a plethora of knowledge in the business of healthcare. Soon becoming a patient herself, the author made the story about her experience in the incredible difference of now being a person on the other side.This is a fantastic self-help book that was written with self love and much care and kindness. The content is Logical as I do not feel there is any evidence of scattered pieces of information at all.
It is a good collection of information, and as you clearly said both the service providers as well as the consumers in this healthcare business can relate this book to themselves as this author has been in both sides. Yes, the background information has done its job by developing the character of this author in front of our eyes and conveying her experience in the field. So the information becomes more valid.
Sushan Ekanayake

REIGNING20 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:19 I was most intrigued about the topic on creating living wills because people rarely think about whom they want to leave their inheritance to. Moreover, I believe the concerns raised by the author are relevant in contemporary times as they are not merely scattered ideas.
I too think that all the pieces of the book are of importance whether they are logically connected or not. And, yes, she has taken into light several important areas which most of us do not even think about, but are of real importance.
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

The author shares perspective from all angles- medical practitioner, a patient advocate, a medical business owner, and cancer survivor/patient. It encourages us to be our own strongest advocate in health care knowledge and decisions as a patient or as a caregiver. One must be informed, ask questions, ask questions again, and buck the system as needed. The author also shares with us many of her own experiences, That does inspire reader to take care of their own health. This book is an easy, delightful read, full of love and knowledge.
Anelka ky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anelka-ky.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Anelka ky »

I wouldn't call it scattered information. I think the author intentionally gives snippets of different encounters with the healthcare system. This makes the content of the book more relatable before delving into the business aspect of her content.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

I really appreciate the author for creating such a relatable content.
Talking about practitioners, her life and then her illness she shows different stages in her life. She covered a very important topic of making a will which was much needed.
The book is of great help.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”