Official Review: Inhale, Exhale, Repeat by Mesha Rookard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Inhale, Exhale, Repeat by Mesha Rookard

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inhale, Exhale, Repeat" by Mesha Rookard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inhale, Exhale, Repeat by Mesha Rookard is an eye-opening, self-help book that seeks to help readers understand that they have the power to rise from any traumatic childhood experience or emotional injury that has squashed their self-esteem.

Mesha Rookard recounts her traumatic experiences while growing up. Her mother was an alcoholic, and her father had left them to marry and start a new family with another woman. Mesha assumed the role of looking out for her mother when it was supposed to be the other way round. She would find her mother's vodka bottles and try diluting them with water. Mesha shares an incident where her mother, having taken her to a friend's house, became too drunk to realize that she was embarrassing herself. As a result, Mesha put a plastic bag over her head and threatened to kill herself if her mother didn't take her home. In another incident, she witnessed her mother having a heart attack. Though her mother survived that heart attack, Mesha became more vulnerable than ever, and the trauma from that experience almost ruined her life. From being a troubled kid in school to alcoholism and incarceration, Mesha shares how she was able to find healing and intends to help other people through her experience and story.

Firstly, I must commend this author for being open and courageous to share her story. This book will help readers who have experienced the same circumstances to understand that they are not alone. Those undergoing such issues will draw inspiration from her success story and realize that they can overcome any ugly situation. The book also shows us how substance abuse affects our loved ones and can leave them miserable. What I like most about this book is the author's openness. She tells her story without trying to get you to like or dislike her. The author coaches the reader without trying to hide her flaws, and I like how it makes the book relatable and authentic. The author's writing style is also praiseworthy. I didn't get confused at any point due to her use of simple language. She even defined and explained some words that readers might not be familiar with in the glossary.

Furthermore, I appreciate the author's message of hope and eye-opening insights into how one can overcome low self-esteem. I enjoyed her lesson on the need for fathers to be emotionally available for their daughters. I also appreciate her eye-opening discussions on the impacts of racial discrimination. Dear readers, mental issues arising from trauma are real, and they are not something that one should try to bury. I join the author to say that seeking professional help is necessary!

In conclusion, this book is insightful, detailed, and easy to understand. I believe this book would help readers reach a stage where past emotional injuries no longer rule their decisions, opportunities, and relationships. The inspiring quotes in the book are a testament to the fact that others have overcome such situations, so there is hope. This book covers a lot of topics about how you can be in control of your destiny. I am glad to report that I didn't dislike anything about the book. I found only an error throughout the book, so its editing is commendable. In conclusion, I am awarding Inhale, Exhale, Repeat a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. And I highly recommend it to readers whose lives have been affected by the addiction of their loved ones, especially those who, as a result, now battle low self-esteem, toxic relationships, and fear of rejection. Nevertheless, I must inform readers of the many curse words in the book. So you should consider skipping this one if you are bothered by such.

Inhale, Exhale, Repeat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I must commend you for such a wonderful review. I was very emotional and I haven’t even read the book. This is a really good job-well-done. Thank you for giving us a good insight of the book. Thumbs up.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book sounds really helpful, and I like the advice to fathers. If a person can help themselves to overcome childhood trauma, it's a wonderful feat. Great review!
Fanelesibonge Z
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fanelesibonge Z »

What a great and wonderful review I've ever came across.There is no vulgar language nor errors.Its 10 out of 10
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

After reading the review, I now grasp the significance of the cover as I can see the author looking at her younger self. Despite the hardships, I'm glad that she made something of herself.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Yes, people who have been traumatized need to get professional help as it will help them. I liked the concept and the story is truly sad and real-like. Thank you for a grear review!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This sounds like a difficult, yet necessary, book. I also commend the author for sharing her story, and I hope this book inspires others to do the same. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Cherry Saraogi
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherry-saraogi.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Cherry Saraogi »

That's a great review, looking forward to read this one soon.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like the author was very courageous to expose herself and write about such personal happenings. That may help many other people overcome their traumas. Great review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

The author is very brave sharing her story. There’s so many others out there who have suffered while growing up, they need to hear that they can make it too! I could not agree more with the author: fathers need to be emotionally available to their daughters. I am glad the author wanted to point this out!

Thank you for an insightful review, I enjoyed reading it!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
karineyn
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading: Without Stopping
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karineyn.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by karineyn »

Even though I don’t share a similar experience with the author, the book seems to address many challenging aspects of familial relationships and how one perceives oneself. The review touches on key points so it gives an insightful introduction to the readers. I especially like the comment about the author’s transparency. Thank you for the review!
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

your review is so thoughtful, I am glad to stop by. The book also seems to be worth reading!!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Gideon Odhiambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gideon Odhiambo »

I have read your review and I appreciate it, thumbs up. It gives us hope of life despite the challenges. Thank you for the wonderful work.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I join you in commending the author for being so transparent. Her courage in sharing her story will certainly help others. Thank you for your thoughtful review! :gift::balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The best books are those written based on the author's own experience. The difference is exactly felt. Thanks for the reading recommendation.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”