Official Review: The Life of Henry James by James H Bragg

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Life of Henry James by James H Bragg

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life of Henry James" by James H Bragg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every man desires to be happy and prosperous. Henry James is an ardent believer in human happiness and success. Despite being born into an aristocratic home, Henry does not fold his hands to watch fortunes unravel. He works his way into success. That does not take away the point that Henry lacks nothing. Of course, he attended the best school and has a bourgeois family. But he still understands the difference between inherited wealth and acquired wealth.

On the other hand, there is a time to be a boy and a time to be a man. But this is not as many will think. Although Henry has everything a woman will require in a man, he still finds it gruesome to find a matching woman. Of course, Rachelle does not flow well in this, and it pains him. Having visited the four walls of the earth during his business trips, Henry encounters a beautiful Swedish lady, Annika. Does Annika have what it takes to become Henry's dream woman?

It is interesting to note that The Life of Henry James is the first book of a trilogy by James H. Bragg. This is a very captivating book of fantasy. Indeed, James Bragg is critical in weaving the life story of the protagonist, Henry, with every creative ecstasy.

This book is an aesthetic work of art, as it can ignite critical thoughts in the mind of the reader or an audience. From the plot's scope, one is tempted to presume that Henry will end bankrupt or not fulfill his target due to the way he spends his money. But the outcome is a big shocker. I will advise intending readers to go with the flow and not try to make predictions, as the story will likely shatter them in more ways than one.

Despite the romantic and exciting nature of the storyline, the dialogues are not adequately arranged in some places. It is pretty overwhelming how the conversations between the characters are interwoven with the narrations. It is challenging to differentiate when one character speaks and when another does. Such instances are seen on pages 23, 26, and 237.

Similar to that is the representation of Henry as a flawless character. Such is odd in the plot of any great literature. This makes the text far removed from reality. Such literary works, Plato suggests, should be avoided. The overall success and acceptance of Henry wherever he goes are awkward — scenes only existent in the world of idealism. Thus, making the story a tad unrealistic.

However, the awesomeness of The Life of Henry James can not be overemphasized. The ability to keep the reader in perpetual suspense of what will become of Henry in his business and love life catches my fancy. Hence, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. This is consequent to some technical incoherencies in The Life of Henry James. The editing was good; there are only a handful of errors. This book is a difficult one to recommend, as it is both suspenseful and a tad unrealistic. Readers who can deal with a mix of these elements in a book should pick it up.

The Life of Henry James
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

This series sounds like many readers could relate to it with their real life. Thanks for the amazing review.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I would never have pictured this book as fantasy. I am not a fantasy reader, but it does sound different. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s strange to make a main character completely flawless. As you say, it’s not very believable and I don’t think that would resonate with me. But the rest of the plot certainly sounds interesting. Thanks for the honest review
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

The fact that the book is thought provoking is amazing. I still agree with you that making a character absolutely flawless is extreme. Great review!
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

This sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

From your review, I guess this will be a book where one can learn the virtue of hardwork and stability. Nice review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Theexceptional
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theexceptional.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Theexceptional »

Happiness should be sought after irrespective of your circumstances. I think this is a book one could learn that from. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
The fabulous
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-fabulous.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by The fabulous »

No matter the riches, one still had to work harder. Thanks for the review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Books that spark up curiosity in the mind are a great read. I love your honesty in the review. Great job

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”