Official Review: The Despicable Missionary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The Despicable Missionary

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Despicable Missionary" by Annie Bradley with Julie Dass.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Talib Syed converted from a Muslim to a Christian, his parents disowned him. He left home with his wife and children to start a new life. His decision ultimately affected his descendants.

Based on a true story, The Despicable Missionary follows Talib’s granddaughter, Victoria, as she grows up in Pakistan. Ridiculed and bullied because of her religion, young Victoria struggles to make peace with the Muslim children around her. She continuously gets into fights with them, both in her village and at the school she attends. Victoria is anything but submissive, and her outbursts threaten her father’s position in the government as a peacekeeper. He sends her away to a boarding school that accepts both Muslim and Christian students. Victoria finds solace there, but her life is still full of ups and downs due to the society she lives in. Betrothed as a child to a Christian boy ten years her senior, her upcoming marriage hangs in the balance. When Pakistan’s government was later overturned by a coup in 1977, this caused unrest in the country, and religious persecution continued. Victoria was even forced to obey Pakistan’s rules when it came to wearing traditional clothes. Through all of life’s challenges, Victoria remained deeply rooted in her Christian faith.

This book was based on a true story. Annie Bradley and Julie Dass trace Victoria’s life from childhood to adulthood. What choices did Victoria make in every stage of her life? What hardships did she endure? What lessons did she learn? I strongly recommend this book to readers who want an insight into Pakistani culture and society from a young woman’s point of view. Pakistani immigrants will be able to relate to Victoria’s story the most. Religious tension between Muslims and Christians is a controversial topic, so readers should be forewarned that some of the scenarios in this book can cause emotional distress.

The most fascinating things about this book were the descriptions of Pakistani culture. The author vividly describes different aspects of life there during that era. I was surprised to learn that families in Pakistan normally dined while sitting on the floor. Some of the things they ate included chapatti cooked on a tava and biryani, a type of rice dish. Words from other languages were incorporated into the characters’ conversations. The word ‘paleed’ means ‘despicable, impure, and unclean’, and this was the word that Victoria was most often referred to by her Muslim peers.

The author shocked me by describing Pakistan’s rape culture. It was very disheartening to find out that female victims were ostracized. They were shunned by their families, friends, and religious organizations; even churches in Pakistan did not accept victims of rape. Strange yet astounding traditions to read about included the betrothal of children and arranged marriages. I liked that the author included these things because they lent credibility to the true nature of Pakistan’s society at that time.

Seeing the world through Victoria’s eyes was intriguing. I liked her spunky personality as a child. At times, I also pitied her. Victoria could not understand why people hated her because she was a Christian. Other children refused to befriend her. In one instance, she was reprimanded for drinking water that was reserved for Muslim students. Everyone around her kept telling her to forgive her bullies, but this was easier said than done. Finding no solutions to her problems led her to harm others. She went through a very dark period, and I found it hard to like her when she became a bully herself. However, it was interesting to see how Victoria developed as she transitioned into adulthood. Her faith consoled and empowered her.

I enjoyed reading The Despicable Missionary. It shines a light on Pakistan’s culture and explores religious tension between Muslims and Christians, discrimination, and forgiveness. Through Victoria’s life story, the book gives a voice to marginalized young women like her. Therefore, it deserves 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing that I disliked about the book. The language used was very easy to follow, and the book seemed professionally edited because there were only a few minor errors.

The Despicable Missionary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like an incredible story and certainly interesting since it’s based in the reality of Pakistani culture. Thanks for the great review!
Maithreyee Shankar
Currently Reading: Stop Doubting Yourself!
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maithreyee-shankar.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Maithreyee Shankar »

This is such an amazing book, and based on a true story got me interested. Thank you so much for the review
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This being a true story makes me want to read it more. The culture of Pakistan is a plus too. Thanks for your review.
Akinlolureads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Akinlolureads »

Pakistan culture made this book a great read according to the analysis... I love this reality... Great review
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspirational non-fiction true story that traces the life of Victoria from birth to a young adult, as she leans to defend her faith, and love Muslims. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a carefully worded OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Victoria's struggles are heart-wrenching. But it's important to hear such stories and know what's happening in the world because of religious extremism.
Thanks for this informative review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. It looks like through Victoria's life, the clash of faiths between Muslims and Christians has been described quite welll.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I love Biryani! Even though that's not the topic of the story, it is nice to learn about different elements of Pakistani culture - even if the paragraph about the rape culture is shocking.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

The clash of faiths between Muslims and Christian faith has been described quite well in this book. And the fact that it is based on a true story makes it even more compelling. Thanks for the detailed review!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

It makes me more thankful for my life when I read about other cultures. It is shocking how a rape victim is treated. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book is based on a true story. It follows Victoria, a girl who accepted Christianity in a muslim country. She was forced to leave, and this book tells her story.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I'm intrigued that even Christians had arranged marriages during that time. I am eager to read Victoria's story. I hope Pakistan is now more accepting of other faiths. I know a Pakistani priest and he belongs to a clan of devout Catholics.
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

This story line sounds like a true story. Given the fact that it's very interesting and explains how a little girl in a Muslim community was forced to be a Christian. A very good boom for reading.
Congratulations on the book of the day
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

Victoria must have been a brave young lady! Despite being bullied and threatened by muslim "friends", I'm surprised that she did not give up. I really likes her character. Thanks for providing this review. Through it, I have been able to know what the book is all about. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”