Official Review: Not a Statistic by Emma R. Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Official Review: Not a Statistic by Emma R. Wilson

Post by Goodness C N »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not a Statistic" by Emma R. Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not a Statistic is a memoir of exactly 86 pages written by Emma R. Wilson. Its contents are divided into 17 chapters. Furthermore, the author strategically takes us through the journey of her life. She started this by exploring her family background, career, and personal life. Among other narratives, she went further to disclose the negatives of the deep-seated racism ravaging the United States of America and how this affected her as a black woman.

As with many other things, a detailed reader will always look out for the writing style of the author as it relates to the use of tenses and level of comprehensibility. Hence, I must commend the author for an exceptionally written book. It is also important to state that the author did not portray verbosity like a lot of writers in a bid to sound sophisticated. Furthermore, even though this novel was relatively short, the writer still explored a myriad of crucial thoughts. Accordingly, these attributes made reading Not a Statistic fascinating. In addition to this, I love how the writer disclosed the difficulties she was faced with and how she overcame them regardless of all odds.

Something that not only got me thinking but upset was why the author did not discourage early marriage, particularly as it relates to the girl child. I hold this belief because Emma Wilson's mother got married as barely a teenager, and at that tender age, she started producing babies. I am of the opinion that if a controversial topic like systemic racism was analyzed, then the inherent consequences of childhood marriage should not be sidelined. Sincerely, I literally screamed when I read about the age at which Emma's mother got married. And while I looked forward to where she would at least discourage that, I never got any. To say the least, this was greatly disappointing.

During the process of reading Not a Statistic: Emma Wilson's Story of Determination Through Tragedy, I did not come across any grammatical error. Therefore, I can state that this book was professionally edited. On the other hand, in view of what I disliked about this novel, I have no choice but to rate it three out of four stars.

Overall, readers who love memoirs, inspirational novels, and topics on racism will find this a worthwhile read. And as such, I recommend Not a Statistic: Emma Wilson's Story of Determination Through Tragedy to them.

Not a Statistic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I have never really been a great fan of memoirs. Great review though.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I love that amidst the author's story, she touched on a really sensitive topic, racism and stressed how it had affected her as a person. I'm definitely checking this out. Great review.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

I agree with your disliking of the certain issue of marrying very young. Thanks for the review!
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Nice review. I really do not enjoy memoirs so much but your review was really interesting. Thank you
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I see your point on wanting the author to state that early marriage should be avoided, but maybe she didn't do that because she didn't want it to look like she was criticizing her mom? It is one of those sticky topics where you do not want to offend anyone, but it's also something that is a personal choice. Thank you for an interesting review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the author was able to discuss her life and the challenges she faced clearly. I agree with you though on the denouncement of marriage at such an early age. Thanks for the great review
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html

Post by Blessing E »

The deep seated racism in this country is alarming. Good review you have
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html

Post by Blessing E »

I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published. This definitely explored controversial topics
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I do not really enjoy memoirs, but all the same your review is great.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

Your review is exceptionally written and I enjoyed it. I am of the opinion that every book needs a review. Great job!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”