Official Review: Amnesia by Melissa Saulnier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: Until I Met Jake by Kimberly J Coleman

Official Review: Amnesia by Melissa Saulnier

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Amnesia" by Melissa Saulnier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Special Agent Lexi Hunter is working on a time-sensitive case in Portland. Suddenly, her boss, Brandon, summons her to tell her that she’ll be moving to work with Supervisory Special Agent Thomas Crown’s team at Behavioral Analysis Unit, L.A. office. David Gabriel Lyons, a government assassin, works for NOVA, Inc., and they have a history together back at Quantico. Unknown to Lexi, NOVA, Inc. is responsible for her transfer from Portland, because they need David to keep a close eye on her. He bugs her apartment. Unexpectedly, Lexi falls in love with Lyons.

Lexi’s best friend, Josephine Barton, was abducted over ten years ago. Josephine’s abductor and cult leader of The Fellowship is now preying on Lexi. David must go against his organization to protect her. Is he willing to risk?

Amnesia by Melissa Saulnier is jaw-dropping! Devouring this book felt like watching an episode of The Blacklist series; full of action and suspense. The author had a way of pulling me close to the characters and the tale. Her writing technique, the stylistic devices, and the choice of words were just on another level! That was what I appreciated most about this work. The vivid descriptions were something I enjoyed in this thriller. Instances of Lexi’s pretty green eyes and David’s blue eyes had me creating images of their physical looks in my mind. I enjoyed the author’s satire on some characters’ shortcomings and personalities.

We’re introduced to the cynical David Gabriel Lyons, who gave me butterflies right from the word go. He’s introduced as "a ghost the government used to raid terrorist cells and drug lords." I mean, who wouldn’t fear him? There’s Lexi, a mysterious character. I tried relating to her from the beginning, but she’s full of mystery, and her next actions are unprecedented. Still, she evoked deep emotions in me.

I encountered several acronyms whose meanings were not included. Moreover, I found repeated sentences that I found unnecessary. Those were the only things I dislike about this publication. I only detected a few grammatical errors; therefore, I can affirm the book is professionally edited.

The courage of David, an assassin and spy, falling in love with the emotionally sensitive Lexi was troubling; I kept worrying for the latter’s life. Even so, the world-building was masterfully done, and the surprises from the characters had me staying on my toes on every page. Consequently, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading action-packed installments.

Amnesia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Amy Luman »

I love the show, “Criminal Minds”. The BAU where Lexi was transferred made me think of that. This book sounds really interesting, especially David.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I think I've already fallen in love with the characters. Right from the description and the story line I'm already hooked.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Elysium Fire
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Central Swirlio by Quiche de Flurry

Post by NetMassimo »

You had me at The Blacklist... :D seriously, this novel seems so well-constructed under all points of view, too bad no ebook format seems available for sale. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ousebian Nicholas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ousebian-nicholas.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ousebian Nicholas »

I love blacklist series too. The action scenes the suspense stirs up the thrill in a story. How did Lexi and David's relationship develop to become? Did the cult get hold of Lexi? I would like to find the answers. I like your descriptive and insightful review.
Tarie07
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by Tarie07 »

Investigative novels are my favorite and this one seems like it wouldn't disappoint. I would love to check it out. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”