Official Review: Searching For My Faith by Frederick Munch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Searching For My Faith by Frederick Munch

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Searching For My Faith" by Frederick Munch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Searching for My Faith is a memoir by Frederick Munch. In the book, Munch narrates about his life from childhood through to his old age. The book opens up with a look back in time when the author was still young. He reminisces about his childhood and the memories created and shared with his parents. The author further shares the challenges he faced after graduating from high school, the highs and lows of starting a family and pursuing a career.

Munch had aspirations of being a police officer and worked diligently towards achieving that dream. However, it did not materialize until a couple of years later. Navigating life as a young man who was chasing his dreams while having to provide for his family took its toll on him. His faith was challenged and tested on several occasions throughout his life. In his line of work, he witnessed injustices that made him question and doubt God’s existence.

The chapter titled The Academy will mesmerize readers who are currently in law enforcement and those who wish to pursue a career in the field. In this chapter, the author details the daily routines and rigorous training they undertook as trainees. He shares lessons, coping mechanisms, and survival skills.

I like the author’s transparency throughout the book. He shares his strengths, weaknesses, successes, and failures. His positive outlook on life made reading the book slightly more enjoyable. I also like that he also shares how he overcomes doubt and continues to strengthen his faith.

The structure and layout of the book are aesthetically pleasing. The chronological arrangement of events is reader-friendly and makes it easy to follow the storyline.

One negative aspect of this book is the many grammatical errors in it. I recommend another round of professional editing to allow the book to get a glowing review. The book contains minor profanities, but overall, the language used is clean and easy to comprehend.

The author was transparent, authentic, and relatable. For these reasons, I am awarding the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The copious amount of errors warrant the deduction of one star.

This book is suitable for readers who have encountered various challenges in life and wondered about the existence and presence of God. Readers who have either worked or desire to work in law enforcement will gain valuable insight. Christian readers will relate better with the biblical teachings that shaped the author.

Searching For My Faith
View: on Bookshelves
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Inspiring story. I admire the strength of the author. Being able to provide for his family while chasing his dreams at the same time is no mean feat. Great review.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I usually stay clear of novels containing some religious element, so this might not be the book for me. Thanks for the insightful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a well-detailed review and recommendations. Life is never a bed of roses. Everyone has dreams and aspirations but, there are always hurdles to cross to get through.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review, Nqobile. You never disappoint.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I love reading memoirs, especially ones traced from childhood.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

It's wonderful that Munch was able to keep up a good attitude through it all. We were never promised ease, so it's important to have gratitude, peace, and other things to get you through the hard times. Thanks for your review!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Growing up in a predominantly Christian environment, it is easy to become immersed in biblical teachings as a child. But as we get older and we start to see true horrors in the world, many start to question their faith. Despite the errors, it sounds like this book provides great encouragement during these moments.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:D
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Authentic and transparent is a feature of good books. I hope the editing gets done. Thanks for a clear review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Overall, it sounds like this is a heartfelt and inspiring memoir. But, I do hope the grammatical errors are taken into consideration for a better read. Thank you for such a good review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The author's profession made him doubt God's existence; but, I wonder what made him change his mind. Did it have to do with his profession? Interesting. Great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The author's story is encouraging and inspirational. Hopefully he fixes the editing mistakes. Great review!
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Once or twice in my life I have also questioned if God knew I was his creation. I like the author's message. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
nihal_24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nihal_24 »

The author munch shares a struggled childhood times and which encouraged among us . This story is real time base that how he suffered in his bad times and which might one of us and take place in the same way. Thanks for the recommendations.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like the book is well written and can offer some inspiration and faith. However, it is not really my type. Great job, though!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”