Official Review: The Treasure of Conquistador Haven

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: The Treasure of Conquistador Haven

Post by Mariana Figueira »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Treasure of Conquistador Haven" by Bruce Miles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

News reporter Derek Caine receives the assignment to follow a history professor and a group of students across the Ouachita National Forest in an expedition with multiple objectives, as each of the members of the team is from a different department: Dahlia is the photographer, Katie is the botanist, Matt is an orienteering student, Tripp is a drone operator, and three football players are helping them carry all of their equipment. It is just a road trip with some investigation so, what could go wrong?

At the same time, a man has just inherited an ancient map leading to a treasure buried in the forest, youngsters are growing marijuana illegally in the middle of the woods, and other dangers are lurking behind every tree. It appears like the park might not be big enough for all of them...

I enjoyed reading The Treasure of Conquistador Haven. The storyline seemed simple in the early stages, but it tangled soon enough as more characters and their motivations came into play. I appreciate author Bruce A. Miles's style because it was descriptive enough to make you feel part of the scene but not overwhelmingly so. I equally admire the author's ability to maintain the suspense throughout the entire book, which was my favorite part about it.

The characters were engaging and very life-like, especially the college students and their professor, Dr. Krazensky; other characters, like Derek Caine and Carlos (one of the treasure hunters), were both skilled and flawed, and the combination was captivating.

Regrettably, the editing wasn't at its best, as I encountered more than ten errors; most of them were lack of commas that made sentences challenging to understand. On top of that, many other phrases were very awkward and hard to comprehend despite not having an actual grammar error.

Furthermore, there were some scenes that I didn't like. One is when the athletes are sexists, making an inappropriate comment about the women in the team. And the other one is when the adolescents that are growing weed refer to someone as a "Mexican illegal alien." My issue with these occurrences is that they are not only offensive but also unnecessary, and my least favorite parts of the novel.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. Because of the aspects mentioned above, I grant this three out of four stars; since it includes well-built characters, a reasonably developed plot, and a lovely writing style, I think it deserves more than two stars. This novel contains violence and non-borderline profane language, so I would recommend it to adults or teenagers who are fond of adventure and mystery stories.

The Treasure of Conquistador Haven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Treasure hunting is always a very engaging thing to read about :) Although, I'm sorry that some scenes were offensive. Thank you for a wonderful review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to find out more about the dangers lurking behind the trees. I hope the characters make it back safe. Great review.
Mariana Figueira

Ellylion wrote: 21 May 2021, 05:37 Treasure hunting is always a very engaging thing to read about :) Although, I'm sorry that some scenes were offensive. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Thanks for stopping by!
El_limitless wrote: 21 May 2021, 07:09 I'd love to find out more about the dangers lurking behind the trees. I hope the characters make it back safe. Great review.
You'll have to read the novel to find out! Thank you for stoping by
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

A treasure hunting book seems interesting. Great review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

It would be good to read about a bunch of young people with different objectives as they embark on a trek through a forest. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Mariana Figueira

Gemjay wrote: 21 May 2021, 15:09 A treasure hunting book seems interesting. Great review!
Thanks!
Slater678 wrote: 21 May 2021, 19:53 It would be good to read about a bunch of young people with different objectives as they embark on a trek through a forest. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Thank you so much for stopping by :tiphat:
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The summary had me feeling that a lot got packed into this book and by the end, I do agree. Glad to read that the plot and characters are well-developed. It is unfortunate about the offensive parts and the errors. Those seem to have brought to full circle the 'a lot' I felt is packed in the book. Hopefully, those get fixed as the book sounds enjoyable in general. Thank you for an honest review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The summary had me feeling that a lot got packed into this book and by the end, my feeling was confirmed. Glad to read that the plot and characters are well-developed. The offensive parts and the errors are unfortunate. Those seem to have brought to full circle the 'a lot' I felt is packed in the book. Hopefully, those get fixed as the book sounds enjoyable in general. Thank you for an honest review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I like books that don't overdo descriptions. It would also be interesting to read about a treasure hunt. Thank you for the descriptive review! :)
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Mariana Figueira

Mwatu wrote: 22 May 2021, 01:03 The summary had me feeling that a lot got packed into this book and by the end, I do agree. Glad to read that the plot and characters are well-developed. It is unfortunate about the offensive parts and the errors. Those seem to have brought to full circle the 'a lot' I felt is packed in the book. Hopefully, those get fixed as the book sounds enjoyable in general. Thank you for an honest review!
Thank you so much for stopping by!
smolbird wrote: 22 May 2021, 07:25 I like books that don't overdo descriptions. It would also be interesting to read about a treasure hunt. Thank you for the descriptive review! :)
Thank you so much!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Oh! Mystery and adventure! This book sounds like a great modern treasure hunter story with a twist! I'm glad to hear that the characters were realistic and well developed. Hopefully, the errors will be fixed.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:techie-reference: 😄
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book seems to be an interesting one with twists. Thanks for an insightful review and recommendations.
Mariana Figueira

Josephe-Anne wrote: 22 May 2021, 15:37 Oh! Mystery and adventure! This book sounds like a great modern treasure hunter story with a twist! I'm glad to hear that the characters were realistic and well developed. Hopefully, the errors will be fixed.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:techie-reference: 😄
Thank you so much!
Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 22 May 2021, 17:54 This book seems to be an interesting one with twists. Thanks for an insightful review and recommendations.
Thank you for stopping by and reading my review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

This is a great review, so insightful and honest. Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”