Official Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bird Ride" by Wade W. Bergner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a little boy named Wade receives a surprise visit from a backyard bird, he is taken on an unforgettable flight through the skies above his town. He must first undergo a size adjustment, so as his stature shrinks, he becomes miniaturized enough to fit on the shoulders of the aforementioned bird. The two seem to share a telepathic connection of calm understanding, and Wade’s fear of potentially falling quickly subsides. As he begins to absorb and interpret things from an aerial perspective, he uses his newfound “bird’s-eye view” to make some enlightened observations about different people and their displayed levels of happiness. Children and elementary schools seem to radiate rainbow-colored auras, while the adults, factories, and office buildings seem grimly dim in comparison.

He has always treasured a keepsake rock from his father, a rock that reminds him to carry daily GRATITUDE. Once he pairs that special stone with a feathered memento from his new avian friend, he experiences a moment of clarity that bestows upon him a special knowledge worth sharing. He remains driven by dreams of world travel, but his truest purpose in life becomes clear. The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner is a children’s book about a soaring quest of spiritual enlightenment. Deep breathing, mindfulness, unconditional love, and conscious awareness all come into play as the story unfolds.

The story is 21 pages long and includes 9 full-page, colored illustrations. The text is sufficiently complemented by the accompanying depictions, and since I read and reviewed a hardcover copy of this book, I can also say that the cover art and illustrations by Galia Labowitz are visually captivating in print form. I only encountered a handful of grammatical and typographical errors while reading, and since they did not affect my overall enjoyment of the book, there was nothing I notably disliked about the story.

I really enjoyed seeing a surprise section of Discussion Questions at the end, and they presented some very thought-provoking queries. As a former psychiatrist, I can say that emotional development in children is a critically important aspect of strong mental health. By prompting kids to self-reflect, adults often become privy to certain mindsets and thought patterns that they were previously unaware of. Asking kids what makes them sad will potentially reveal further topics worth exploring. There is also a final section that includes A Note to Parents and Teachers. It touches on the deleterious effects of fear, failure, and fierce competition among peers.

I think this book would be most appropriate for children between the ages of five and eight, especially those who have caretakers or parents with transcendentalist tendencies. Having an adult reader present would really help younger readers solidify some of the deeper meanings of the material. This title does have a lesson of self-actualization at its core. The main character’s nickname is “Kid Rock,” and I do believe that young minds would be able to appreciate the fanciful mysticism of such a high-flying tale! It reminded me of the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids movie franchise that I loved so much as a child.

I can gladly award The Bird Ride a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The plot is straightforward, the text is engaging, and the ending provides an adequate conclusion. It is the first book in Bergner’s Emotional Agility Matters series, and I feel that it possesses the potential to uplift spirits and open minds. It instills a sense of purposeful awareness, while also promoting the benefits of a positive attitude and strong self-worth.

The Bird Ride
View: on Bookshelves
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It is very peculiar to have a children's book whose main message is spiritual enlightenment. I see this more as an "adult task", but I guess it could be worth a try also for children, even if I think it is quite complicated. Nice review!
AvidBibliophile

Sakura5 wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:23 It is very peculiar to have a children's book whose main message is spiritual enlightenment. I see this more as an "adult task", but I guess it could be worth a try also for children, even if I think it is quite complicated. Nice review!
It was a unique and open-minded story for sure. Although fanciful and magical in some respects, it still succeeded in expressing a message of non-judgmental love for all. I’d be interested to see what other readers think of the story as a whole! I greatly appreciate your kind feedback. 🦜
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

The book sounds delightful! How fun to fly on the shoulders of a bird friend and view the surroundings in a whole different way. I too believe the story would benefit the child best through the voice of a parent or caregiver as any concerns could be addressed or questionable issues answered. An excellent review by the way!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 17 May 2021, 15:12 The book sounds delightful! How fun to fly on the shoulders of a bird friend and view the surroundings in a whole different way. I too believe the story would benefit the child best through the voice of a parent or caregiver as any concerns could be addressed or questionable issues answered. An excellent review by the way!
Having an older reading buddy present might really help this one hit the intended mark, but any child could enjoy the feathers and illustrations and smiling faces and rainbows! Some dreams and stories of make-believe can give young minds the encouragement and freedom to make their own interpretations about the world around them, so I think this author and story succeeded in doing just that. Thank you for your supportive comment! 🐤
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a great adventure Wade goes on! He sounds like he’s made some profound discoveries within such a short book. Thanks for the wonderful review
AvidBibliophile

Booklover Becca wrote: 17 May 2021, 16:44 What a great adventure Wade goes on! He sounds like he’s made some profound discoveries within such a short book. Thanks for the wonderful review
Oh for sure! Profound moments of clarity often find us when we least expect it, and Wade’s bluebird guide certainly gave him a glimpse of what’s most important in life. Kids and pets can remind us that true happiness is still attainable, if we just take the time to look for it. Thank you for coming by! 🌈
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I find it interesting that a children's book would cover spiritual topics usually reserved for teenagers and adults. But it seems to work with this story. I love birds and cute illustrations, so maybe I will have a look at this.

Thank you for another excellent review and for sharing your expertise with us.
:tiphat: 🐤
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
AvidBibliophile

Josephe-Anne wrote: 17 May 2021, 22:28 I find it interesting that a children's book would cover spiritual topics usually reserved for teenagers and adults. But it seems to work with this story. I love birds and cute illustrations, so maybe I will have a look at this.

Thank you for another excellent review and for sharing your expertise with us.
:tiphat: 🐤
Thank you so much for your kind words of feedback! This one definitely succeeded at sharing a universal message in a way that even young minds would be able to grasp. And who wouldn’t want to take to the skies on the wings of a wise and feathered pilot?! 🕊
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that important life lessons were given to the children in a beautiful and appropriate form. Thanks for the good review.
AvidBibliophile

markodim721 wrote: 18 May 2021, 16:16 I like that important life lessons were given to the children in a beautiful and appropriate form. Thanks for the good review.
You make an excellent point! Children benefit the most from life lessons that are presented in appealing and memorable ways. This book did just that. Thank you for the positive comment!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Lovely to read that the book has a deeper purpose other than enjoyment. Encouraging young ones to self-reflect allows them to find better ways to meet their emotional needs, I think. Thank you for a thorough review!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I like that this book has got a few pointers for parents and teachers as well. I think its magical aspect makes it even more interesting to kids. Way to learn and enjoy at the same time! Thank you for such a great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
AvidBibliophile

Mwatu wrote: 22 May 2021, 01:51 Lovely to read that the book has a deeper purpose other than enjoyment. Encouraging young ones to self-reflect allows them to find better ways to meet their emotional needs, I think. Thank you for a thorough review!
Emotional needs take center stage in this one! Readers will be flying high with self-reflective encouragement. Thank you for the kind words of support!
AvidBibliophile

C Janet wrote: 22 May 2021, 07:11 I like that this book has got a few pointers for parents and teachers as well. I think its magical aspect makes it even more interesting to kids. Way to learn and enjoy at the same time! Thank you for such a great review!
I agree with you there. I think any kid would love the thought of shrinking in size to fly through the skies! Enjoyable learning is the very best kind. 🌟

Return to “Children's Books”