Official Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins

Post by cd20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Now Unto Him" by Melissa Huggins.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Has God ever bestowed upon you a gift that you were afraid to use? That is exactly what happened to Melissa Huggins and her story is the catalyst to her debut book, Now Unto Him. Melissa lives in Delaware and has three children. She serves as a prayer intercessor and in the women’s ministry at her church.

Melissa starts off each chapter with a Bible verse, a short anecdote, followed by a prayer that goes along with the topic of the chapter. There are twenty-seven chapters or topics, ranging from God’s plan for you, trusting God, the burdens of this world, coronavirus, and so much more.

Now Unto Him is an easy read. The book maintains a steady flow and you know what to expect from chapter to chapter. Melissa writes as if she is speaking directly to you, so there is no misinterpretation of what she is saying. Melissa speaks of her struggles with sin, the gift that God had provided her, and running from what He was telling her to do. She recounts many personal stories to aid the reader to understand where she is coming from.

I enjoyed reading the Bible verses at the beginning of each chapter. I found some of Melissa’s personal stories to be interesting and could relate to some of her struggles. She did a great job of lining up scripture verses with the topics she was discussing, as well as making the prayers relatable to the topic.

I really struggled to read Now Unto Him. Usually, I devour books like this one. Regrettably, I found it hard to connect to and had to force myself to complete it. I have read many books similar in nature, but I found this one to be less engaging. While the personal stories added the personal touch required, I felt they were overly focused on the sins and spilling all, then on the confession and forgiveness. I also felt they needed to be deeper. To be clear, I did not have a problem with the actual prayers. There were several things the author described that I could not wrap my head around and did not necessarily agree with. There were quite a few typos that started distracting me from the writing.

This is a clean read, with no profanity or sensual scenes. I rate it two out of four stars. I did not award it four stars because of the editing errors and would recommend another round of edits. I did not give it one star because other people will enjoy this book.

I feel that while this book has no offensive content in it, it is solely formulated for those who are into religion rather than those who are agnostic. Therefore, I would recommend this book to those who are religious and want to read more on prayer.

Now Unto Him
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I've always been afraid to use the gift that was bestowed on me. I have something to learn from this book.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 15 May 2021, 01:10 A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Thank you! The message is good, I just struggled to connect with it. Hope you enjoy it :D
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Piece Nkem wrote: 15 May 2021, 03:49 I've always been afraid to use the gift that was bestowed on me. I have something to learn from this book.
Yes, we should NEVER let fear stop us from using our gifts. I know that is easier to say than to implement, but we are hurting ourselves by not using those gifts. I think of the 'use it or lose it' mentality. We were blessed with the gifts to use them. Thanks for stopping by :)
Qer
Currently Reading: Immigrant Hustle
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by Qer »

I agree with the reviewer that Christians would really enjoy reading this book. It seems to be centered around acknowledging one's weakness as a child of God while exalting Him Who's all powerful and able to help in every situation. Great read.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The author has written a good book for the Christian readers. But it is not for me as I would not enjoy it.
Thank you for another great review!
Mukaila S
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mukaila S »

This book is a very wide and full of wisdom to the sense that I can re read it, the author has written a well compostable book for Christianity use and other religions to learn more about life and words of God.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

This seems like a great book to help one utilise his gifts. Great review.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Qer wrote: 15 May 2021, 08:22 I agree with the reviewer that Christians would really enjoy reading this book. It seems to be centered around acknowledging one's weakness as a child of God while exalting Him Who's all powerful and able to help in every situation. Great read.
Yes, the book is very much geared towards Christians. The author is pretty candid in her sins, and her prayers are lovely. Thanks for stopping by!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:37 The author has written a good book for the Christian readers. But it is not for me as I would not enjoy it.
Well, I am a Christian and I did not feel that this book was for me either. I gave it two stars here because it is better than one star, but I had a difficult time connecting with the book. Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Mukaila S wrote: 15 May 2021, 12:25 This book is a very wide and full of wisdom to the sense that I can re read it, the author has written a well compostable book for Christianity use and other religions to learn more about life and words of God.
Yes, this book would be good for some to reread, especially those who want to pray someone else's prayers. It is a good jumping-off point for those who do not know what to pray, but hopefully, they would make the prayers their own. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kennedy NC wrote: 15 May 2021, 14:50 This seems like a great book to help one utilise his gifts. Great review.
Thank you. This was an interesting account of how Melissa was afraid to use her gifts but finally learned to embrace them. It also had a lot to do with confessing and repenting of sins. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

cd20 wrote: 15 May 2021, 19:54
Kavita Shah wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:37 The author has written a good book for the Christian readers. But it is not for me as I would not enjoy it.
Well, I am a Christian and I did not feel that this book was for me either. I gave it two stars here because it is better than one star, but I had a difficult time connecting with the book. Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts.
I did not mean that.
Let me rephrase it -
The Author has written a good book for some Christan readers.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 16 May 2021, 00:23
cd20 wrote: 15 May 2021, 19:54
I did not mean that.
Let me rephrase it -
The Author has written a good book for some Christan readers.
I would totally agree with that. I think a lot of people will find valuable information and even life-changing information from this book. Thanks again for sharing your opinions.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”