Official Review: I Loved Her Enough by Diane Lane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: I Loved Her Enough by Diane Lane

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Loved Her Enough" by Diane Lane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Loved Her Enough: Chance, Tragedy, Love, and Fresh Air by Diane Lane is the story of Eilleen Jandreau, a five-year-old child living in severe poverty in New York City during the Great Depression. It's a love story that will make you laugh one moment and cry the next as you follow this little girl's journey.

Eilleen Jandreau and her sisters, Jene, and Marie, lived in New York City with their Grandmother Anna, who worried something would happen to her while the girls were still too young to care for themselves. By chance, an opportunity came for Eilleen to take part in a two-week vacation program. The Fresh Air Fund sent needy children to spend two weeks with a host family, allowing them to see life outside of the city; Grandmother Anna agreed. Because of a series of mishaps (or were they?) at the train station, Eilleen was soon on her way to the adventure of a lifetime, spending two weeks with Sarah and Bayard Wharton. The Whartons fell in love with little Eilleen and showered her with gifts and attention. They got permission for her to stay for the summer. When they took Eilleen home, Sarah and Bayard were devastated. How would she ever be able to live in such severe poverty again? How would Sarah and Bayard cope without Eilleen? Three hearts have broken—will they ever mend?

Diane Lane wrote a poignant story based on the childhood of her best friend's mother. Lane's writing was exquisite. As she takes the reader into the home of Grandmother Anna, Eileen, Jene, and Marie, the reader discovers the tragic circumstances in which they lived. The contrast between Eilleen's living arrangements at home in New York and the life she found herself in with the Whartons during the summer emanates off the pages. Bayard Wharton had shown no interest in having children, so his feelings blindsided him when Eileen came off the train and ran straight into his arms.

What I liked most about this book were Lane's descriptions of Eileen's adventures. The story evoked memories of my childhood. As Lane describes Eilleen's first time seeing a field of cows, watching the ocean waves, eating in a restaurant, and her first carousel ride, the reader can feel the excitement of a five-year-old girl as she experiences a carefree life for the first time. I could feel Eileen's emotions as her life went from one extreme to the next.

There isn't anything I disliked about this book. It is exceptionally edited with no errors. Diane Lane executed the story beautifully. The book gives a vivid picture of life during the Great Depression. It takes natural talent to immerse a reader into a book to the extent they feel they are there with the characters. I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars for the reasons listed above and more.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about the Great Depression and those who love a touching story filled with emotion. There are very few profane words and no sexual content, so this book is suitable for young and old alike.

I Loved Her Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Beautiful review of what sounds like an emotionally-filled book. I love when a story can evoke such strong emotions.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Booklover Becca wrote: 01 May 2021, 14:04 Beautiful review of what sounds like an emotionally-filled book. I love when a story can evoke such strong emotions.
Thank you! There is a rollercoaster of emotions in the book! It is a good read. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like a captivating book that I should have a look at. Thank you for a great review. A pleasure to read.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Strong story and great review. Thank you very much for the reading recommendation.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

WADonnelly wrote: 02 May 2021, 13:39 This sounds like a captivating book that I should have a look at. Thank you for a great review. A pleasure to read.
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

markodim721 wrote: 03 May 2021, 09:29 Strong story and great review. Thank you very much for the reading recommendation.
Thank you, and thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”