Official Review: Onward to Kolmothra Volume One

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Official Review: Onward to Kolmothra Volume One

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Onward to Kolmothra Volume One" by Brian Warf.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book is the first installment of the Onward to Kolmothra series, an exciting fantasy saga. The action happens on the planet Illusar, populated with humans and other creatures like goblins or ogres. Kolmothra is an evil place that reminds people of the War of the Dragons when soldiers barely won the fight against Dracolloran, a dark wizard.

Weddel Anagod is a young royal guardsman from Arbenlo and has a secret mission entrusted by his king. A merchant saw dragons in the Kolmothran Desert, and Weddel must discover if they are real. The truth is even darker, and the lad runs back home to announce his dire news. But first, he must survive. We also meet Bellhom Lanstrom, a retired captain from Renwar; he is concerned about his family and rides to the Northern Territories. His path intersects with three teenagers that try to rob him. Thridor, Oreau, and Calapria are some impertinent gypsies that left their colony looking for an adventure. Everybody is on a different journey for various reasons. However, they must all join forces for a greater purpose—saving humanity.

The reader will fully immerse in this fantastic new universe. Brian Warf offered much information regarding history, religion, and customs. I was amazed to find out about the Goblin Wars or the War of the Dragons. Furthermore, the vivid descriptions are impressive. I will recognize a goblin immediately if I ever run into one. I would hate to meet a Tree-Dweller, though. The tanlagors are giant birds used for transportation, and I would love to try one when I cannot ride my bicycle.

The writer did an excellent job in building the characters. Weddel is a very courageous young man, and Oreau can exasperate everyone, including his best friends. Bellhom was my favorite character because of his deep sense of honor; he was also a great mentor, and his experience did not make him arrogant.

On the negative side, the large amount of information presented in the book might discourage some readers. It took me a little time to adjust and get acquainted. However, it was not a complicated book, and the details were essential for creating the setting. A map would have been convenient, and I hope Brian Warf can add one to the following books. Nevertheless, they were minor dislikes that did not spoil the excellent reading experience.

Onward to Kolmothra Volume One: Before the Maelstrom Comes by Brian Warf is a masterpiece that deserves a full rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Tolkien’s fans will enjoy the novel and will discover a similar writing style. People that love to read fantasy tales that involve knights, wizards, or dragons will be delighted. However, a delicate audience should be aware of the graphic violence and the scenes that show human sacrifice.

Onward to Kolmothra Volume One
View: on Bookshelves
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

You perfectly transmit your enthusiam in your review! Sounds like a great fantasy read. I might have a go at it myself, mainly because I would like to be able to recognize a goblin if I encounter one myself, too. :-)
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 03 May 2021, 03:47 You perfectly transmit your enthusiam in your review! Sounds like a great fantasy read. I might have a go at it myself, mainly because I would like to be able to recognize a goblin if I encounter one myself, too. :-)
Thank you so much for your lovely comment! You never know when you need this information! :)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a must-read for readers who love a great world-building, and the other elements seem excellent as well. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

NetMassimo wrote: 03 May 2021, 04:49 This seems like a must-read for readers who love a great world-building, and the other elements seem excellent as well. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your terrific review!
I am sure you will enjoy it! Thank you for your comment!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Sounds like the author is descriptive in writing, allowing the reader to follow the story with ease. Interesting book. Top of the shelf review, congrats Raluca!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This seems like a book that I'd very much enjoy and I'll have to give it a look. Great review, a pleasure to read too! Well done.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Nqobile771 wrote: 03 May 2021, 05:39 Sounds like the author is descriptive in writing, allowing the reader to follow the story with ease. Interesting book. Top of the shelf review, congrats Raluca!
Thank you very much for your feedback!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

WADonnelly wrote: 03 May 2021, 05:52 This seems like a book that I'd very much enjoy and I'll have to give it a look. Great review, a pleasure to read too! Well done.
It's one of the best books I have read in the last months. I appreciate your feedback very much, thank you!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Wow! This certainly sounds like a wonderful start to a thrilling series with an imaginative world and well-developed characters. I think I would like the book, although I prefer my novels to be standalone. Great review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Prisallen wrote: 03 May 2021, 07:51 Wow! This certainly sounds like a wonderful start to a thrilling series with an imaginative world and well-developed characters. I think I would like the book, although I prefer my novels to be standalone. Great review!
I know what you mean, as I am very anxious to read the next installment. However, it is worth it! Thank you so much for your comment!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your amazing descriptions of the unique characters make this sound like an interesting series. The author introduced a realistic setting of plantet Illusar by including all the information about history, religion, and customs. Great review and fantastic enthusiasm for this saga!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

kdstrack wrote: 03 May 2021, 10:00 Your amazing descriptions of the unique characters make this sound like an interesting series. The author introduced a realistic setting of plantet Illusar by including all the information about history, religion, and customs. Great review and fantastic enthusiasm for this saga!
Thank you very much, I really loved it! I appreciate your visit and comment!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Goblins, ogres, knights, wizards, gypsies, and dragons?! What a fantastical fantasy saga this book must have introduced. Thank you for providing such a thorough and entertaining review! 🐲
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 03 May 2021, 11:28 Goblins, ogres, knights, wizards, gypsies, and dragons?! What a fantastical fantasy saga this book must have introduced. Thank you for providing such a thorough and entertaining review! 🐲
Fantastical, indeed! Thank you for stopping by!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”