Review by WADonnelly -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by WADonnelly -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by WADonnelly »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. This fantasy universe is born of magic, mystery, adventure, and something perhaps more sinister. The author puts an original spin on many common fantasy elements which are intriguing and exciting to read.

Galen Bray, who comes from the Lands of the Princes, travels to the country Voulhire to take over his great-uncle’s forge. He finds himself settling into life in a small town named Magnum Caelum. Here, Galen meets Rowan, the executor of the great-uncle's will, and the two quickly become friends as Rowan passes along his knowledge of this mysterious new land. The reader is able to experience this new world through the first-person perspective of Galen and follow his journey through Voulhire. Alongside Galen's story, we discover that the country is fighting potential political unrest and rumours of a powerful and terrible mage. Unable to trust even his closest advisers and friends, King Wilhelm tries to implement his aspirations alone.

There was so much I liked about this book. The universe that the author creates is incredibly immersive and completely captures the imagination. The clever and well-placed humour throughout the book was particularly refreshing as so many books miss the mark in this regard. The novel is also full of interesting descriptions and exciting events that keep the plot moving, and the reader engaged. I could not put this book down.

There was barely anything to dislike about this book. However, I hope we will encounter more female characters who play integral roles in the plot as I felt that this book was lacking them. Additionally, the book is quite short, which was marginally frustrating as I completed it almost too quickly. Despite this, the length of the first book is not necessarily a negative when one considers how We are Voulhire is a nine-part series.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as it is an exceptional read and evidently professionally edited and formatted. I was only able to find one error in the entire book, but it was minor. I would recommend this book to all those interested in fantasy or medieval period novels. There is some profane and sexual language used so I would not recommend this book to younger readers. I am excited to read the rest of the series, and I encourage others to lose themselves in the world that Matthew Tysz has built.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I have had the opportunity to read this book and I enjoyed it. I'm glad you liked it! Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for your review! So glad you enjoyed this book as well. It truly is interesting. Personally, I think the books just get better. The pace is great as well.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
CozyBookCorner
Currently Reading: Seven Fallen Feathers
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozybookcorner.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CozyBookCorner »

Thank you for the great review. I also loved the world-building in this book. I hadn't even thought about how there weren't really any strong female characters yet, but your absolutely right. I hope that is something that changes in the later series installations.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It seems that the immersive fantasy setting is this book's best aspect. I applaud the author for such detailed preparation. Thanks for your wonderful review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

RayRuff wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 03:14 Thank you for your review! So glad you enjoyed this book as well. It truly is interesting. Personally, I think the books just get better. The pace is great as well.
In that case I look forward to reading the next books! Thanks for the comments.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

Nqobile771 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 01:27 I have had the opportunity to read this book and I enjoyed it. I'm glad you liked it! Great review.
Thanks for stopping by!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

CozyBookCorner wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 10:39 Thank you for the great review. I also loved the world-building in this book. I hadn't even thought about how there weren't really any strong female characters yet, but your absolutely right. I hope that is something that changes in the later series installations.
Yes, hopefully we will see some more female characters as we read further into the series. It only makes me more motivated to read on.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 02 May 2021, 12:40 It seems that the immersive fantasy setting is this book's best aspect. I applaud the author for such detailed preparation. Thanks for your wonderful review!
It is definitely one of my favourite things about the author's work! Thanks for the comments.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html

Post by Kavita Shah »

It is a new world. I have finished reading this one. I did notice that some parts had Harry Potter and the philosopher stone movie feel to it. And yes, It does lacks female characters. Thank you for an informative review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

Kavita Shah wrote: 02 May 2021, 14:50 It is a new world. I have finished reading this one. I did notice that some parts had Harry Potter and the philosopher stone movie feel to it. And yes, It does lacks female characters. Thank you for an informative review!
That's an interesting comparison to Harry Potter, I hadn't considered that but I can see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time to comment. 😊
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html

Post by Kavita Shah »

WADonnelly wrote: 02 May 2021, 15:06
Kavita Shah wrote: 02 May 2021, 14:50 It is a new world. I have finished reading this one. I did notice that some parts had Harry Potter and the philosopher stone movie feel to it. And yes, It does lacks female characters. Thank you for an informative review!
That's an interesting comparison to Harry Potter, I hadn't considered that but I can see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time to comment. 😊
You're welcome.😃
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The author’s creativity is amazing. I’m glad you liked this first book in the series, and I really enjoyed your review. I’ll have to keep an eye out for your take on The Fires of Virko!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I have read this book a while ago and I was totally blown away by the authors imagination and creativity. I would have to agree with you that it felt almost too short, but luckily there’s many more parts to this series.

Thanks for a nice review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

MsH2k wrote: 02 May 2021, 23:48 The author’s creativity is amazing. I’m glad you liked this first book in the series, and I really enjoyed your review. I’ll have to keep an eye out for your take on The Fires of Virko!
Thank you for your kind comment. I'll be sure to get the next review out soon!
Last edited by WADonnelly on 03 May 2021, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”