October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 13:32 I just finished Rat-Catcher. I liked it, but wish there was more. Though I guess that's the point of a short story - there could always be more.

The love that Rand/Tybalt had for his sisters was sweet, the relationship he had with the theater humans was also sweet, and I found his relationship with his dad interesting. Though I did find the ending of his father and Tybalt's take over the kingdom to be a bit abrupt.

I kind of wish there was more about the fire that occurred - why it happened? How long did it last? How did Tybalt go from London to San Francisco in the original series? Maybe the answer to that last question will be in the next short story.

I'll definitely read the next one, Forbid the Sea to see, but it looks likes the site recommends to read it after book five, so maybe I'll wait to do that.
Well said and I agree. I didn't like the father and the way he treated his other sons (he killed one and the other left) and abused Tybalt.

The ending was a bit abrupt. Maybe the next story will answer your questions. I will also read it after book five.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 13:36
hsimone wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 13:32 I just finished Rat-Catcher. I liked it, but wish there was more. Though I guess that's the point of a short story - there could always be more.

The love that Rand/Tybalt had for his sisters was sweet, the relationship he had with the theater humans was also sweet, and I found his relationship with his dad interesting. Though I did find the ending of his father and Tybalt's take over the kingdom to be a bit abrupt.

I kind of wish there was more about the fire that occurred - why it happened? How long did it last? How did Tybalt go from London to San Francisco in the original series? Maybe the answer to that last question will be in the next short story.

I'll definitely read the next one, Forbid the Sea to see, but it looks likes the site recommends to read it after book five, so maybe I'll wait to do that.
Well said and I agree. I didn't like the father and the way he treated his other sons (he killed one and the other left) and abused Tybalt.

The ending was a bit abrupt. Maybe the next story will answer your questions. I will also read it after book five.
Thank you. :)

The father was horrible! He killed Lenet, too, right? Such a terrible person.

Yeah, abrupt and left us hanging. Glad to hear you’ll read the next one too after book five. Curious to see what other information we’ll learn.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I haven't read the short story yet, but I plan to.

Also, because my slump is just that bad right now, I'm going to get a jump on One Salt Sea. Maybe (I repeat, maybe) you won't be waiting months for me to finish it that way. :lol:

I promise not to post anything until you both have started it. :no-spoil:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:22 I haven't read the short story yet, but I plan to.

Also, because my slump is just that bad right now, I'm going to get a jump on One Salt Sea. Maybe (I repeat, maybe) you won't be waiting months for me to finish it that way. :lol:

No worries. I will wait for @hsimone to finish the previous book before starting it. Meanwhile, go ahead. You can post with spoilers alert. :)

I am sorry about your slump. I hope it will pass soon.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 23:37
Gravy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:22 I haven't read the short story yet, but I plan to.

No worries. I will wait for @hsimone to finish the previous book before starting it. Meanwhile, go ahead. You can post with spoilers alert. :)

Is One Salt Sea the fifth one in the series? When my power went out and I couldn't use my phone, I actually started the fourth one on my kindle and I loved the beginning of it!

I'm was in the midst of another book so it's taking me time to finish the one we're reading, gali, but I'm back at it and about 100 pages from being done :D It's sooo good! Once I finish, I'll let you know and maybe I'll move onto to finishing Late Eclipses, so I can join in on this discussion as soon as I can. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:19

Is One Salt Sea the fifth one in the series? When my power went out and I couldn't use my phone, I actually started the fourth one on my kindle and I loved the beginning of it!

I'm was in the midst of another book so it's taking me time to finish the one we're reading, gali, but I'm back at it and about 100 pages from being done :D It's sooo good! Once I finish, I'll let you know and maybe I'll move onto to finishing Late Eclipses, so I can join in on this discussion as soon as I can. :)
Yes, it is the fifth one, and no rush. I am in the midst of another book as well. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:33
hsimone wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:19

Yes, it is the fifth one, and no rush. I am in the midst of another book as well. :)
Sounds good! :tiphat:
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Oh no.

I read Rat-Catcher.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 01 May 2021, 20:34 Oh no.

I read Rat-Catcher.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah, it's pretty sad short story. Poor Tybalt. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next short story about him.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

So, I finished Late Eclipses and really enjoyed it! I'm not a big fan of when the author emphasizes on the clothing that Toby's wearing, and I wasn't a huge fan of the back-and-forth that Toby seems to be doing between the Shadowed Hills and the Tea Gardens. With that being said, I absolutely loved how the story played out and so glad that Oleander is finally gone! Can't believe that Toby's mom actually hid the side of Toby that made her a pureblood. So crazy!

Tybalt is still my ultimate favorite! (Though I do love May and Danny, too!) There's just something about him that I can't help but love. Gosh, I hope him and Toby end up together even though now Connor isn't married to crazy Rayseline. She is so messed up. I'm curious to see if she meets up with Simon and what kind of trouble they'll cause...poor Sylvester and Luna...

Overall, I'm still a big fan of the series and can't wait to continue!

@gali, did you want to continue this series or hop back to Seraphina?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 29 May 2021, 18:50 So, I finished Late Eclipses and really enjoyed it! I'm not a big fan of when the author emphasizes on the clothing that Toby's wearing, and I wasn't a huge fan of the back-and-forth that Toby seems to be doing between the Shadowed Hills and the Tea Gardens. With that being said, I absolutely loved how the story played out and so glad that Oleander is finally gone! Can't believe that Toby's mom actually hid the side of Toby that made her a pureblood. So crazy!

Tybalt is still my ultimate favorite! (Though I do love May and Danny, too!) There's just something about him that I can't help but love. Gosh, I hope him and Toby end up together even though now Connor isn't married to crazy Rayseline. She is so messed up. I'm curious to see if she meets up with Simon and what kind of trouble they'll cause...poor Sylvester and Luna...

Overall, I'm still a big fan of the series and can't wait to continue!

@gali, did you want to continue this series or hop back to Seraphina?
Either one is fine with me. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Sounds good! Let’s start with One Salt Sea first then, if you don’t mind? I’m in the mood for a bit more of Toby’s world. Then, we can jump back to Seraphina’s world. :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 30 May 2021, 20:54 Sounds good! Let’s start with One Salt Sea first then, if you don’t mind? I’m in the mood for a bit more of Toby’s world. Then, we can jump back to Seraphina’s world. :)
Fine with me. I will start it tonight. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

Book # 5: One Salt Sea

@Gravy, where are you in the book?
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

@Gravy, @hsimone, where are you in the book?

I am about to start chapter five. Toby is still with Connor!! How can she prefer him over Tybalt??
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”