Official Review: Under the Willows by Pamela McCord

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Under the Willows by Pamela McCord

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Under the Willows" by Pamela McCord.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Still reeling over the death of her beloved husband, Kelly and her eight-year-old son move to a new town after learning that her husband had inherited a victorian-style home right before he passed away. Despite the gnawing grief of being a young widow and a newly single mother, Kelly is eager to make Marysville feel like home for her and her son TJ.

As they begin settling in, TJ insists that he's been hearing weeping coming from the Alexa device in his bedroom. At first, Kelly thinks he must be imagining it, but when a terrified TJ calls out for her one night, there is no mistaking the crying and distress coming from the device. It's the voice of a little girl begging for help.

Everyone in the small town has seen the photo of the missing five-year-old, Marilee Harmon. Kelly doesn't recognize the girl, but the name immediately resonates with her and fills her with a sense of dread. She could have sworn the voice emanating from the Alexa device cried out Marilee's name. What was the voice trying to tell Kelly, and how is it connected to the missing girl?

Under the Willows by Pamela McCord is a spine-chilling thriller that had me constantly looking over my shoulder and being thankful for never purchasing one of those trendy devices. The book is told from the first-person perspective. It follows Kelly Harris as she is haunted by the ghost of a child and finds herself entangled in the search for a missing girl.

First, I want to applaud the author for expertly crafting one of the creepiest books that I have read in quite some time. I don't scare easily, but knowing that devices can pick up on other frequencies, such as baby monitors, gave me the feeling like this could actually happen. That in itself had me shivering in fear. Beyond that, the gusts of cold air that signaled the presence of a ghost followed by the forceful slamming of doors had me sleeping with the lights on for a few nights—I wish I was joking.

Another thing that I enjoyed about the book was the sparks flying between Kelly and Detective Rob. I like how the author flirted with the possibility of romance materializing between the two without taking away from the story's central conflict. Kelly was still grieving the loss of her husband, and Rob was respectful of that. Still, between the stolen looks and the growing attraction, it was hard to ignore the tension between them.

There was nothing to dislike about the book. The editing was exceptionally top-notch, and I didn't find a single error which was very impressive. The book flowed effortlessly from the very first page, and before I knew it, I was reading the thrilling conclusion. It was an engrossing story that pulled me in and didn't let go, and I loved every minute of it! With that being said, I have chosen to give the book a rating of four out of four stars. It had all the necessary ingredients to cook up an addictive page-turner—a serving of terror, followed by a mixture of heart-pumping action, and topped off with a sprinkle of romance to make it even more enticing.

I would recommend the book to readers who like scary stories with a supernatural twist. Also, those who love a small-town mystery will enjoy putting the clues together. I would not recommend the book to readers who don't enjoy being scared; this has many shiver-inducing scenes.

Under the Willows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I want to read this book. It's a horror book which sounds spooky, I've not read one since long. Thanks for a Great Review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I shy away from thrillers but your review makes me interested. I chuckled at you having to sleep with the lights on. Thank you for this review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Kavita Shah wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 01:35 I want to read this book. It's a horror book which sounds spooky, I've not read one since long. Thanks for a Great Review!
Thanks so much for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Mwatu wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 03:18 I shy away from thrillers but your review makes me interested. I chuckled at you having to sleep with the lights on. Thank you for this review!
Thanks for reading and commenting :)
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I think this is the first I’ve heard of an Alexa device being used in a haunting. I’m so eager to read it. Thanks for your great review!
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

Booklover Becca wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:40 I think this is the first I’ve heard of an Alexa device being used in a haunting. I’m so eager to read it. Thanks for your great review!
Agreed, I was intrigued when I read this too. Very few horror stories I've read contain modern technologies such as Alexa. Great review!
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I love Victorian-style houses, and somehow they are always part of a thriller or ghost story setting. :shock:
This book sounds like one I'd read in the dead of the night. Thanks for the review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I love getting scared by a good book, and this one sounds like it'll do the job! Thank you for your great review! I'm adding it to my want-to-read shelf.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Who is marilee? This is a spooky read and it looks fantastic!! Thanks for this awesome review -its going on my bookshelf for future reading.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

The story seems intriguing, I'll add it to my bookshelf. A very well written review. Thank you for your hard work.
kipkirui phalec
Favorite Author: Nancy Blodgett Klein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 216319

Post by kipkirui phalec »

Good review,will really read it
Stephanie Elizabeth

Booklover Becca wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:40 I think this is the first I’ve heard of an Alexa device being used in a haunting. I’m so eager to read it. Thanks for your great review!
It was the first time I'd heard of it as well! Thanks for your comment :)
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

Thank you for the well-written warning. I will not read this book. After reading the first part of your review, I was ready to put this novel on my shelf, but then you got to the "spine-chilling thriller" part, and I quickly realized that I'd read a cozy mystery instead.
I'll be watching for more of your reviews, Stephanie Elizabeth.
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the way the author has connected the past, in the form of a Victorian house, with advanced technology.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”