Review by GoodLuck ES -- Always Before Me by John Servant

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Review by GoodLuck ES -- Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Always Before Me" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Always Before Me: (A Story of Mercy and Salvation) is a Christian fiction written by John Servant. The story centred on faith, hope, sin, and absolution. It also touched on the theme of betrayal. The book told the story of catholic priests who had dreams they set out to achieve. However, they found themselves stuck in negative situations they never envisaged.

The dreams of Father Anthony were hindered by an accusation of sexual abuse. The accusation confined him to the role of prison chaplain against his wish to work as a teacher.

Father Paul's aspiration of spreading the gospel was hampered by the oath of the priesthood to which he was sworn. He lost the good faith of the cops because of his firm resolve to uphold the tenets of his calling. He refused to disclose the content of a confession that would have aided criminal investigation and prosecution. Thereafter he encountered many troubles.

What troubles did he encounter? How did these men react to the ugly turn of events they had no control over? Find out by reading this interesting story.

The book has a lot of positive aspects. Firstly, the writer's style is brilliant. I loved that the story started in a very simple manner. In the beginning, the reader could not immediately decipher where the story was headed. This attribute sustained the interest of the reader till he began to grasp the direction of the story. The progression of the story was even more interesting. Events in the story were connected well. The book took the reader on a totally enjoyable journey. The writer also shared a lot of information on the ideal attitude to adopt when faced with life's many daunting challenges.

I also loved that the author shared information on the criminal justice system of the state in which the story was set. The book contains a lot of data on criminal investigation and the great role forensics play.

I loved that the book contained Christian teachings backed up by the scriptures. The author referred to Bible verses to establish the truth spoken by the characters.

The book had one negative aspect. I did not like that some sentences in the book were unnecessarily long. This affected the comprehension of some parts of the story.

The book was professionally edited. I found few punctuation errors in the book. However, they were not enough to discredit the professionalism of the editor. Consequently, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give the book a lower rating because the errors did not remove from my overall pleasure while reading the book.

The book is inclined to the Christian religion. It made a lot of reference to concepts known to Christianity alone. Concepts such as: Confession, absolution, blessed sacrament, rosary, scapular, chaplet of divine mercy. Readers with other religious backgrounds may find it difficult to comprehend these concepts.

I strongly recommend the book to Christian readers, especially Catholics, and to non-christian readers interested in understanding the workings of the Christian religion. Lovers of crime fiction will also enjoy some parts of this book.

Always Before Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

A religious crime fiction story sounds interesting. This is not the type of book that I would usually read but your review has me interested.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:29 A religious crime fiction story sounds interesting. This is not the type of book that I would usually read but your review has me interested.
I agree! I don't think I have encountered such before.
Sarah001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah001.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sarah001 »

Interesting summary. It seems that the theme would not interest me though. Thanks for a concise review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy a good Christian fiction. This one sounds like it's relevant to one's life. It's not always easy to live and navigate in this world. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a great story. I find it interesting that there seems to be a gradual engagement of the reader. Great insight, great review!
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Interesting Christian fiction, seems like a good read. I love your review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Wow!! This is veey pathetic. Someone like me will spill the confession so, I will be vindicated. I hope he finds justice at the end. Thanks for a detailed review.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Christians would really enjoy this book. It promotes faith in God despite the circumstances. Thanks for insightful review.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I am always enraged by false accusations and it is sad the Father's dreams were cut short because of one. Great review.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like an interesting story and combination of ideas. Thank you for the well-written review!
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I like the sound of the book. Nicely reviewed especially the summary part. Thank you for your hard work.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel's crime fiction element seems interesting, but I'm afraid the religious part is too heavy for my taste. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Faith, hope, and absolution as told through Catholic priests? Now that would certainly make for a compelling crime story of sins requiring forgiveness! Thank you for your lovely review.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's an intriguing storyline, but I might not enjoy it. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”