Review by raluca_mihaila -- Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review by raluca_mihaila -- Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“A stone has fallen in a pool, and those ripples are spreading ever outwards, and no one knows where they’ll break.
On unknown shores, I guess.”

No matter how hard you try, the past has a way of influencing your life. But it is up to you to break the circle! The author tells the story of four childhood friends: Phil, Wayne, Steve, and Tina. With an abusive brother and an absent mother, Wayne is an outcast in school and society. He has a rare talent: he gets everyone in trouble, even if he doesn’t mean it. The author takes the reader back and forth, alternating between the past and the present, where the protagonists are young adults. An unknown burglar savagely beats Tina’s father, and a secret file is missing from the house. Wayne is the usual suspect, but Phil and Tina believe in his innocence. Phil, being a journalist, starts an investigation that leads him to a major cover-up. Our protagonists’ lives are in danger, and memories from the past come back to haunt them.

The writer skillfully intertwined the alternating stories told from Phil’s point of view. Knowing what happened in the past was the key to understanding the current events. The plot was very engaging and full of twists that were difficult to predict. The writing style was uncomplicated and expressive, so it was hard to put the book down.

The novel was entertaining, and I loved the author’s sense of humor. He used colorful and original metaphors, sarcasm, and many funny retorts. For instance, Steve is “so laid back he’s nearly horizontal.” Even in the middle of a serious and tense situation, Barry Litherland found a way to sneak in a funny remark that made me laugh. However, that didn’t cheapen the scene. I felt a combination of excitement and amusement, which was delightful.

I also appreciated the authentic and well-developed characters. Wayne could be a case study from a psychological perspective because of his behavior. Besides his friends, nobody knew how to act around him; people felt sorry for him and hated him at the same time. Tina was another interesting character, brave and full of compassion, always ready to protect any vulnerable person.

I recommend the book to readers that enjoy mystery thrillers. People that prefer themes that involve friendship and relationships will not be disappointed. A delicate audience should be aware that the novel includes many profanities and explicit violence against people and animals.

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland deserves four out of four stars because of all the reasons mentioned earlier. There was nothing I disliked about the book, and I only discovered some minor errors. It is a touching and engaging story that will make you laugh and cry.

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This is a very interesting concept and the quote you used exemplifies the idea beautifully! I enjoyed reading your thoughtful and well-written review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I love stories with surprises and plot twists. In general, this sounds like a great book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 15:00 This is a very interesting concept and the quote you used exemplifies the idea beautifully! I enjoyed reading your thoughtful and well-written review.
Thank you for your comment and feedback!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 16:05 I love stories with surprises and plot twists. In general, this sounds like a great book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
It certainly is! Thank you so much for stopping by!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's always difficult to keep an equilibrium between the past and the present and be consistent with what's being written. If this is combined with good doses of humour then I think we have a great effort. Thanks for a great review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Dimi1 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 06:07 It's always difficult to keep an equilibrium between the past and the present and be consistent with what's being written. If this is combined with good doses of humour then I think we have a great effort. Thanks for a great review!
You are very right! :) Thank you for reading and commenting!
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This sounds like a great book with lots of twists. Love your review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 13:09 This sounds like a great book with lots of twists. Love your review!
It certainly is! Thank you for stopping by!
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I always anticipate reading your reviews. They are engaging, entertaining and insightful. Keep it up
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This seems like an intriguing mystery about how the past comes back when you least expect it. The humor stirs the emotions and draws the reader to the characters. Thanks so much for including the opening quotation. I enjoyed your fascinating review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Chizioboli wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 18:09 I always anticipate reading your reviews. They are engaging, entertaining and insightful. Keep it up
You are so kind! Thank you so much for your comment, and I hope I won't disappoint you in the future!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 21:08 This seems like an intriguing mystery about how the past comes back when you least expect it. The humor stirs the emotions and draws the reader to the characters. Thanks so much for including the opening quotation. I enjoyed your fascinating review!
You have caught the essence of the book! Thank you for stopping by!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I hope Phil is able to find the perpetrator so that Wayne innocence will be proven. The storyline seems so intriguing. Thanks for a detailed review.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 03:01 I hope Phil is able to find the perpetrator so that Wayne innocence will be proven. The storyline seems so intriguing. Thanks for a detailed review.
Thank you for your visit, I appreciate it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”