Review by Suzer6440 xyz -- How My Brain Works

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review by Suzer6440 xyz -- How My Brain Works

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How My Brain Works" by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you ever wonder how complex and mesmerizing the brain is? Throughout this informational read, I discovered how influential our brain power is to our overall health. How My Brain Works by Dr. Koltuska-Haskin, begins with the motto, “As long as you are breathing, there is more right with you than wrong with you.” by Jon Kobat-Zinn, which sets the tone to the book. Consequently, that tone manifests in the reader as the moment we realize how easy it is to obsess about the negative aspects of situations. Why not award every small accomplishment?
When that awareness is realized, once we grasp that there is more right with us than wrong, it will blossom into gratefulness and thus the meaning of the quote falls into place.

Although a quick read, the author manages to split the information into two sections. The first part discusses neuropsychology, which is the study of the connection between behavior and brain-function. It offers information on the purpose of an evaluation and how this can determine the pattern of brain activity and a compilation of treatment options if needed. Also included within this section are short examples of real people and their own experience, that although cover a wide range of personalities, they all have one thing in common, overall awareness of mental and physical health.

The second part incorporates brain health and positive advice to enhance cognitive function. This book gives us the knowledge for daily cerebral function and memory improvement. Our subconscious creates connections and associations, This is a process that occurs constantly in our minds.

There are so many things I liked and appreciated in this book. Firstly, there is a plethora of accounts offering benefits of testing and the steps some people follow to maintain optimal health. Secondly, I respect the meaningful quotes that the author shared throughout. They seemed to fit perfectly with the substance of the book. One example of this includes the quote by Helen Keller, “Keep your face to the sunshine and you can see the shadows, it’s what the sunflowers do.” This basically means that practicing optimism is a key ingredient in everyday life and if we follow this advice we will rarely see negative things that come our way. Lastly, there is an extensive range of handy information offered to find distinct ways to bring inspiration and positivity to our minds.

Healthcare workers, teachers and parents would admire the subject matter of this book. Young adults who are inquisitive about how our brain works may also find this helpful.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and did not find anything I disliked about it. In addition to this, it is professionally edited and did not provide any evidence of grammatical errors. I am elated to award this book a perfect rating of four out of four stars.

How My Brain Works
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Wow this book is deep. I like it. Your review makes me feel like I've read the book. Thank you for the review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

There are so many things I liked and appreciated in this book. Firstly, there is a plethora of accounts offering benefits of testing and the steps some people follow to maintain optimal health. Secondly, I respect the meaningful quotes that the author shared throughout. They seemed to fit perfectly with the substance of the book. One example of this includes the quote by Helen Keller, “Keep your face to the sunshine and you can see the shadows, it’s what the sunflowers do.” This basically means that practicing optimism is a key ingredient in everyday life and if we follow this advice we will rarely see negative things that come our way. Lastly, there is an extensive range of handy information offered to find distinct ways to bring inspiration and positivity to our minds.
That is, indeed, a lovely quote, and bringing real-life examples into the book makes it much more relatable. I remember reading the sample when this book was Book of the Day, but I have the impression that the author categorizes anything that doesn't fall into a certain box of "normalcy" as a disease to treat. I'm all for improving our mental health, but I think it's important to remember and respect that what's normal to someone is not so for another person.
The critic, of course, is not for you. Your review is concise and enjoyable. It's just something that bothers me about modern mental sciences.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

This is a very thorough review. I like how the book focuses on the health aspects and is easy to understand. Good review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your recommendation! I love educational book, and this one approaches a very interesting topic. Young minds should find a lot of answers in it. Great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like that not only does the book tell you about the brain works it also tells you how to keep it working at its peak. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is a very insightful review for a very relevant and educative book. Thanks for the recommendation.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

“As long as you are breathing, there is more right with you than wrong with you.” That's definitely a good way to start a book. I also appreciate that the author is well-versed in the subject of the book. Thank you for the informative review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

The title caught my attention but your review raises my curiosity of reading this book. Wonderful review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Prisallen wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 09:50 I like that not only does the book tell you about the brain works it also tells you how to keep it working at its peak. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Wow! This would be a wonderful book to read then.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

63tty wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 14:29 Wow this book is deep. I like it. Your review makes me feel like I've read the book. Thank you for the review.
I also concur.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I would love to know how my brain works and this book seems like a good start. The cover page too is too inviting. Thank you for an amazing review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I don't think my brain can wrap around this one (sorry for the pun). Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I want to think that those who are interested in bettering their mental health will enjoy it too, based on your review. I do hope that this book will help its readers appreciate their brains more and take better care of them. Thanks for the review! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
havasq78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by havasq78 »

I find your review compelling and makes me want to read this book. As a man of science, I have always been fascinated by how little we know about the human brain from a medical and physciological perspective. Books on the topic and good reviews like yours advance the subject and promote science reading to the masses!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”