Official Review: Providence by Jeffry L. Parker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Providence by Jeffry L. Parker

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Providence" by Jeffry L. Parker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Providence, Jeffry L. Parker recounts his journey through the difficulties of life and God’s providence through it all. Jeffry grew up knowing about God. He didn’t really trust God with his life, though. God, however, has a way of getting our attention. Jeffry accidentally tries to take a gun on an airplane. The fallout shows Jeffry that God is in control. That knowledge is tested through multiple health issues that the author shares with us. Will Jeffry walk through life’s problems with his faith intact?

Providence is a non-fiction book of about 170 pages. The book is organized well and easy to read with the author proceeding through his journey chronologically. The chapters are short, which breaks the story up into easy-to-read, bite-sized pieces. The author does not shy away from any details in his book. Therefore, there is some content that would be better for mature audiences. Mainly, this consists of details of medical treatments and the consequences thereof that aren’t pleasant to read about.

What I liked most about the book was the author’s candid nature. He made it clear that he was not perfect. He, like most of the rest of us, had difficulty trusting God through his struggles. Still, he is clear that God took care of him throughout it all. For me, it helps to know that others have the same difficulties during trials that I do.

I also appreciated that the author didn’t take for granted that the reader knew all the terms that he used. For both religious terms and medical terms, he took his time to explain what he meant. In some instances, he even cited websites where he found his information. This, also, could help the readers that want to dive even deeper into these topics, perhaps those that are facing the same issues the author did. After each chapter, the author provides questions for reflection as well as a Bible verse or two. This helps to apply the chapter to your own life, to deepen your faith.

There are a lot of great points that the author makes. These nuggets of wisdom came often from what Mr. Parker learns throughout his life. For example, he says that we can’t go through life depending on our circumstances to be happy. We must be content with our lot in life; through contentment, we will find joy.

There was nothing to dislike. It’s professionally edited; I found only three errors during the course of the book. Therefore, I give Providence 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone going through a difficult time. Also, anyone looking to deepen their faith and find joy no matter the circumstances will appreciate this book. If consistent quoting of Bible verses would be tiresome to you, I suggest avoiding this read. I, for one, believe that my life is better off after having read about the author’s struggles and faith.

Providence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Steve_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Steve_ »

I love it when a treatise like this includes citations and Bible verses to further the discussion. Thank you for your review.
Sarah001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah001.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sarah001 »

I wonder if the application of Bible quotations would sit well with me. I'm curious about the author's struggles though. Thanks for a well-written review.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

I can already feel positive energy. The book will help to restore people's faith and their attachments to God.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I love that the author used his personal story to speak to the reader on the walk of faith. From your review, I could relate to his spiritual struggles and I'm sure reading the work itself will be of immense help in my journey to become a better Christian.

Great review
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Steve_ wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 00:52 I love it when a treatise like this includes citations and Bible verses to further the discussion. Thank you for your review.
Absolutely. It's quite inspiring. The author's been through so much. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sarah001 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 03:37 I wonder if the application of Bible quotations would sit well with me. I'm curious about the author's struggles though. Thanks for a well-written review.
It's not for everyone. I understand. He does so well with all that he's given, though. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MarveeAman wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 04:36 I can already feel positive energy. The book will help to restore people's faith and their attachments to God.
Yes, it's helpful for anyone going through a tough time thinking their alone. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

GoodLuck ES wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 06:28 I love that the author used his personal story to speak to the reader on the walk of faith. From your review, I could relate to his spiritual struggles and I'm sure reading the work itself will be of immense help in my journey to become a better Christian.

Great review
I think all of us can relate to his struggles in one way or another. We all need encouragement. Hope this helps. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I find it really interesting that there is an explanation of the terms used. It's always tiring when an author takes it for granted that the reader is an omniscient human. Great review, thanks for the insight!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It doesn't seem like my kind of book, but I appreciate the author's effort to present all the explanations and sources of information. Thank you for this great review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like a helpful and inspirational read. Thank you for the thorough and well-written review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This sounds like a book I would like to read. I always enjoy memoirs or books that tell stories of real people. I highly appreciate people who are honest when telling their stories. We all struggle, and telling about our struggles might encourage someone.

Thanks for a beautifully written review, I enjoyed reading it.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dimi1 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 11:12 I find it really interesting that there is an explanation of the terms used. It's always tiring when an author takes it for granted that the reader is an omniscient human. Great review, thanks for the insight!
Yes. I thought the explanation of terms was quite helpful. Overall, it's very well done. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 15:09 This sounds like a helpful and inspirational read. Thank you for the thorough and well-written review!
It was very inspirational. It's nice to see that not everyone thinks they're perfect. Knowing others struggle and seeing how they got through is quite helpful. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”