Review by Suzer6440 xyz -- Pearl River Mansion

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review by Suzer6440 xyz -- Pearl River Mansion

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pearl River Mansion" by Richard Schwartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story of Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz is an immersive read with compelling scenes and memorable characters. The book blends family drama, crime and suspense to keep the reader enthralled. Imagine going fishing on a normal day only to discover a gruesome surprise as you reel in your pole? This scenario sets the theme and tones of the story as the author immediately draws the reader into the narrative.

The story begins with Tyler and Sarah Chandler, a married couple with a twin boy and girl to whom Tyler did not treat the same. Sarah and Tyler’s families were very different. Sarah always described herself as feeling as “poor white trash.” Tyler had always wanted boys in the family and showed no love for Rachel. A short time goes by, and Sarah has a tragic accident and dies.

Joan (Tyler’s mother) steps in and wants to take over and adopt Rachel. At first, this seems marvelous, as the idea of an unloved child being removed from a troubled situation by his loving grandmother seems logical. However, Joan's knavish tricks become increasingly frustrating as her controlling and domineering fashion becomes apparent to everyone. For example, when referring to her grandchildren, she would constantly use derogatory terms under the belief that her son could not give the children a good life.

With an unexpected turn of events, Rachel is reported missing. This information leaves investigators baffled, only to leave them to wonder what is going on and who is behind the madness. Can someone in the Chandler possibly be involved?

Although this book is crawling with dishonesty and dark secrets, it managed to surpass my expectations. The characters were well-developed and intriguing which made the 500+ page book suspenseful and enthralling until the end. The emotionalism of the story was brilliant as the reader is ardently invested with the characters.

This is the first book I have read of this author, but to my surprise, I did learn that this is book two in a series. With that being said, the plot is so exciting and addicting that it can be a stand-alone book.

There is no evidence of grammatical errors, and it is professionally edited. I did not notice any profanity or erotic scenes, There was not a single thing I disliked in this book. The story is flawless and quite impressive. Schwartz leverages his storytelling skills and creative narratives to his advantage. This book would appeal to lovers of mystery and crime. The detective theme has an infectious feel to it, for many to sample a taste of greatness. For these reasons, I proudly give a rating of four out of four stars.

Pearl River Mansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the way the author managed to put all his thoughts on paper. It's as if the atmosphere can be felt from the pages of the book.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

This book sounds amazing, thanks for recommending it, and for your wonderful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love stories with good characters along with suspense, and this seems like one that I would enjoy. Thank you for an excellent review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I like that this book can be read as a stand-alone. This seems to be a good read. Thank you for the great review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Thanks for revealing that this book has a "clean" story: no profanity or erotic parts.
I will give this book a try.
Joan reminds me of every grandma who thinks she's better at raising kids than everyone.
Great review, by the way.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Sounds like a bone chilling thriller. Thanks for a nice review.
havasq78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by havasq78 »

If there was ever a sentence to describe a thriller and make me want to purchase it is " this book is crawling with dishonesty and dark secrets". That is a good, well written review!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Rachel is reported missing? This information provides an excellent twist to the story. Can someone in the Chandler possibly be involved? I can't wait to find out. Thanks for the review.
Sahebe Alam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sahebe Alam »

If there was ever a sentence to describe a thriller and make me want to purchase it is " this book is crawling with dishonesty and dark secrets". That is a good, well written review!
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

It sounds like a tragic and emotional story, also wrapped with a mystery later. I wonder what was happening in the previous book and the next occurrence in this book.
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope
Suzer6440 xyz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks everyone who took the time to read my review. This was one of my very favorite books…
Suzer6440 xyz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks everyone who took the time to read my review. This was one of my very favorite books…

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”