Review by MarveeAman -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by MarveeAman -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by MarveeAman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of an epic fantasy novel. It promises a story of the multiverse. Through this book, the author will take you on the journey of the fictional land of Voulhire. The story revolves around the vast majority of characters; Galen Bray and Lord Eldus are the most prominent characters of the novel.

Galen Bray, a young refugee from the Land of the Princes, embarks on his journey of adventures to the flourishing Kingdom of Voulhire in order to succeed after his great uncle's forge. When he arrives at Magnum Caelum in Voulhire he meets his uncle's executor Rowan who helps him in exploring this new place. Here Galen is given a new opportunity to live a better life.

Eldus, being the new lord of Hillport, is assigned the responsibilities of protecting the town from a notorious group of rebels called Riva Rohavi and finding the truth behind the monstrous crimes of the former lord, Meldorath. The story goes that Meldorath died by committing suicide.

I liked several aspects of the novel. Firstly, the concept is original and magnificent. I have never read something like this before. Secondly, the story takes its time to build up, concentrating on character and world development at first. I like this characteristic of the slow-build kind of approach by the author. It hooks readers from the start as it slowly builds to an exciting ending. Thirdly, the writing style of the author is quite impressive and unique. Finally, in this short novel of 173 pages (PDF format), the author somehow manages to give the readers in-depth details of this alternate universe. All the important fantasy elements are nicely woven in a very balanced and efficient manner.

I thoroughly enjoyed the author's unique concept for the series. However, I wish that there weren't as many POVs and subplots, particularly in the first book of the series. This made me struggle to connect with or care for the main characters. Also, adopting the idea of modern and medieval languages can be slightly challenging for non-native readers of English. Nevertheless, this does not affect the average reader.

The book involves mild child abuse and some occasional profanity. Nevertheless, there are no explicit scenes that may be considered unsuitable for young adult readers. The book is professionally edited. I could not find even a single error.

I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the above-mentioned reasons. It is suitable for young adults and adults as well. I will recommend this book to all fantasy readers of advanced level. Beginners can also improve their levels of comprehension.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The book seems a little overwhelming at first, but once you keep reading through the series you will become more acquainted to the characters. The author has an unique way to build characters, for sure. Nice review!
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

This is a great review. I also read and reviewed it and I don't regret beginning We are Voulhire series. It is also filled with so many surprises. However, the multi perspective was nice to me as it spiced the story up.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Everyone loves good characters. I'm glad the author takes the time to build them up. Seems like you really enjoyed this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This book is quite a hot topic these days. Thank you for the nice and descriptive review
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

One of the best books I have seen online, I would like to read it.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It is an original story which is exciting and at times long but leaves you wanting to read on. Thanks for your review!
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I loved this book, and every book I've read from the series. Thanks for the wonderful review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like more realistic fantasy, but this sounds like a good book.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I've read a couple of books in the "We Are Voulhire" series and must commend the author for his creativity and captivating writing style. I enjoyed reading this book and your review. Great job!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

This is a really intriguing fantasy book. The mix of realism and supernaturalism is something noteworthy. I enjoyed reading your review, thank you.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Boonepre2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boonepre2.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Boonepre2 »

It is an original story which is exciting and at times long but leaves you wanting to read on. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”