Official Review: Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Official Review: Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey" by Robert Fulton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the beginning, there was a little boy who dreamed of flying. The boy grew up, and his dream grew with him. Despite the varying circumstances, he wasn’t willing to give up on his dream. It guided the young man he had become to attend the Army’s helicopter pilot training. He qualified to fly the army helicopters and was soon on his way to the war zone. The life-threatening airspace of Vietnam taught him to fly under any circumstances. Shortly after his time in the military, he found himself flying above the Alaskan wilderness. That was only the beginning of his career as a pilot. To advance in his career, he took over tasks that others were not willing to take. Along the way, he became familiar with different types of helicopters and small aircraft before entering the world of passenger airplanes. He faced many challenges and had to sacrifice a lot, but he was never willing to give up on his dream. This man is Robert Fulton. Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey is a memoir of his 50-year career as a pilot.

Robert Fulton is nothing less than an exceptional storyteller. Joining him in his numerous adventures was extremely exciting. I could almost feel the controls of the aircraft in my own hands, sometimes shaking violently and sometimes responding smoothly as a feather. I also valued the numerous lessons one could learn from Robert Fulton’s long experience in working life or his respectful attitude towards life in general. His skills to deal with difficult conditions were remarkable. As he faced many situations where survival was not self-evident, everyone could learn something from his ability to stay calm and navigate out of the troublesome positions. Besides, learning about all different aviation tasks was mind-blowing for such a greenhorn as me. For example, it never before occurred to me they use helicopters in wood logging.

Albeit the author’s extraordinary storytelling abilities, the chain of events in this book was at times miscellaneous. Narrating the events in mixed order felt confusing. It forced me to interrupt my reading multiple times as I tried to figure out in which part of the timeline we’d just landed. Another confusing detail was the vague mentions of his family life. The author stated clearly that this book was not a memoir of his family life but a memoir of his aviation career. Unfortunately, this statement seemed contradictory as he still included the family in his stories occasionally. It was just enough to make the reader curious about the topic. How did the family deal with constant moving because of their father’s ever-changing jobs? How did they deal with long periods of his absence? These were the questions I pondered while reading. I would have liked to see them answered.

From most parts, I found this aviation memoir quite an entertaining and educational read. I am pleased to rate this well-written and well-edited book with 3 out of 4 stars. Following the actual timeline of the events would undoubtedly have earned this book a four-star rating. I respected the general educational value of this book, along with the author’s storytelling abilities. It is worth noticing that the content can easily be equated to other professions, as it shows the value of being constantly able to reinvent one’s professional abilities. As the author included a short glossary of aviation words and abbreviations, Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey is an understandable read to every average person.

I would warmly recommend this book to everyone interested in aviation. As mentioned above, the level of knowledge about the topic is insignificant. I’d imagine this book could also serve as an inspiration to anyone with big dreams concerning their professional life. At last, also readers interested in memoirs would presumably find this book an enjoyable read.

Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This definitely sounds like a must read for aviation lovers. Just a pity that the author does not follow a straight timeline.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I doubt many kids grow up thinking their dreams of aviation will take them into Vietnamese airspace or into the skies above a remote Alaskan wilderness, but life is surprising that way! Thank you for sharing such an insightful review and analysis here.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

This memoir is really an inspiration for ages. Thanks for a concise review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

As this book proves, it’s hard to exclude our families from stories about our professional lives. This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your thorough review! (Nice pun about landing :helicopter:in different parts of the timeline.)
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like the author had quite the adventure-filled life. Great review!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 15:59 This definitely sounds like a must read for aviation lovers. Just a pity that the author does not follow a straight timeline.
Aviation lovers will definitely enjoy reading the adventures of this author! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 17:16 I doubt many kids grow up thinking their dreams of aviation will take them into Vietnamese airspace or into the skies above a remote Alaskan wilderness, but life is surprising that way! Thank you for sharing such an insightful review and analysis here.
That is quite true. Somehow I have a feeling that looking back, the author wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

lumenchristi wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 19:27 This memoir is really an inspiration for ages. Thanks for a concise review.
Thank you for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

MsH2k wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 00:42 As this book proves, it’s hard to exclude our families from stories about our professional lives. This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your thorough review! (Nice pun about landing :helicopter:in different parts of the timeline.)
Yes, you are right about that. I would really have liked to know how the author's family dealt with the issues brought upon them by his career choice. Family plays such an important role in our lives. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 09:33 Sounds like the author had quite the adventure-filled life. Great review!
That he did! :) Thank you for your kind words!
Kirsi
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

You do a great job summarizing the story and making it sound compelling! I really enjoyed your review. Great work!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:10 You do a great job summarizing the story and making it sound compelling! I really enjoyed your review. Great work!
Thank you for your kind words 😊
Kirsi
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems an interesting memoir about the author's experience as a pilot and more. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I find it best to follow a linear timeline in a book like this as well, or at least give a heads-up when switching to a different time period by stating when it occurred. Otherwise, this sounds like a fascinating book. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”