Official Review: The Eternal Conductor

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Official Review: The Eternal Conductor

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Eternal Conductor" by Debbie Garneau Griffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How would you feel if you discovered that the place you've called home for a long time has a deep history of which you've never heard? What will you do when you realize that the things you dismissed as junks are historical monuments? Well, this is Deedee's story.

Deedee Van Dyne decides to clean out her house after sending her mother to a nursing home. She discovers a book that shows her the house's history and the reason behind the ghost who haunts her house. What follows is a series of astonishing events, unraveling a string of history that goes as far back as 1830. I bet you are curious to know what she discovered. Well, join the ride and read this fantastic book.

I have a whole lot of praise for The Eternal Conductor. The book is fascinating, intriguing, captivating, and entertaining. It is a fine work of literature. Debbie Garneau Griffin sure put a lot of effort and research into writing this book.

Even though it is a fictional book, it was historically detailed. I noticed that some places and people mentioned in the book were real. For instance, the canal that transported slaves to Canada and the inclusion of John Kennedy and Harriet Tubman are all actual historical details woven into this fictional narrative. Reading about these people and places added a feel of realism to the book.

The story was told in different parts. Each part ushered me into a different timeline. However, the story didn't flow in chronological order. At first, this arrangement confused me. I would be reading about a scene in 1850, and then in the next chapter, I'd be transported to 1999, then back to 1850. But the author found a way to connect these seemingly contrasting time frames at the ending parts of the novel. This was brilliant, in my opinion. I was glad that they all came together and made sense to me.

Another thing I admired when reading was the author's unique approach to the story. I've read a good number of books about haunted houses, but I've never read one with a storyline like this. Not only was it unique, but it was also fascinating and engaging. I enjoyed following the author's narrative through history, discovering the reason for Gabe's continued presence in the house. All in all, it was a book I enjoyed in its entirety.

I must also commend the editors for doing a thorough and professional editing job on the book. Reading a book of this size and discovering very few errors is commendable. It shows the level of dedication they put into the editing.

I had a minor issue with the book. There were so many characters that, at a point, I lost track of their names and had to backtrack to find my footing and better understand the book. However, this was a minor issue, so I'd give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, as it was a thoroughly enjoyable book. I would recommend it to people who have an inclination towards historical fiction that projects family history.

The Eternal Conductor
View: on Bookshelves
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

From the review this sounds like a very interesting story. I like historical fiction and fictional stories that have a little history within the story. It is good to know that although the story is about a haunted house, the author has used a unique approach with this novel. Thanks for the concise review, it certainly encourages me to add this to my list.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

It is good to know that the author used a unique approach to tell a story about haunted houses. It pricked my curiosity and I will add the book to my to-read list. Thanks for this great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Finding about the history of a haunted house, cool. If this book had less history that would have been perfect for me. I loved your review, beautifully written.
Last edited by Kavita Shah on 12 Apr 2021, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Historical Fiction”