Review by teacherjh -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Review by teacherjh -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I enjoy reading stories about people who rose above tough circumstances and rough childhoods to create a successful life. The Mindset, but Ace Bowers is just such a book.

Ace begins life in an abusive/alcoholic family. His mother suffers from mental health issues that affect everyone around her. Though his father is working, there is not enough money for bills and necessities. One brother turns to illegal activities and ends up in jail. Ace just tries to survive and gets out on his own eventually. He piles up debt and has a hard time getting a job because of it. Eventually, he gets a job working as a janitor. This could have become his permanent station in life. However, everything changed when he fell in love and when he found out he was going to have a child. Ace decided he wanted a different life for his child. He worked overtime, took classes to learn new skills, found new jobs, and built up income with side jobs as well. He changed his attitude of resignation and defeat. Instead, he refused to be a victim. He adopted an attitude of positive goal setting and determination. Eventually, these mind shifts and action steps turned him into a millionaire.

I admire Ace for all he survived and especially for how he chose to redirect his life and aim at success. Too many people believe they are stuck in financial ruin due to circumstances they have no control over. He shows that a person can rise out of this situation and choose to change. I especially liked how he explained his work ethic. He always did more than the boss asked. He took extra shifts and read books at night to learn new skills. Advancement does not just happen, you have to put in the effort.

Some readers might be confused about Ace’s family. He calls them poor, yet the father had a job, and the family even went on a vacation to Disneyland. To me, this is a picture of the working poor. The kids are shunned by peers for not having fashionable clothes. The family rents instead of owning a home. They are often late on their bills. By the end of the month, they are scrimping on food. But, they do have food and clothes, and maybe once in a lifetime they can save enough and pull out enough credit cards for a family vacation. For this family, there is no government assistance and no safety net. College is an unreachable dream. They are not dirt poor, but they are living in poverty.

Anyone who wants to be inspired by a man who not only changed his future but reconciled with his past will enjoy reading this book. However, this is not a book for someone looking for a get-rich-quick method or a step-by-step program for getting out of poverty. I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The writing is smooth, and I love his metaphors. The only thing keeping it away from the four were a few comma errors in the editing, and I wish he had spent more time explaining the details of how he got out of poverty. Still, it is an inspirational book.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

This is a self-help book. Thank you for the informative review, I enjoyed it.
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Jackie Holycross

Noriel DM wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 10:51 This is a self-help book. Thank you for the informative review, I enjoyed it.
It’s more of a memoir, but there are some great ideas.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I've read a few "rags to riches" memoirs and possibly might give this one a read. Hopefully, I will enjoy it as I can see you did too from your review. Thanks for the great work!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I totally agree with your comments; they are honest and to the point. I found also the book stimulating but I miss the details on how he got out of poverty; this would be a good feedback for people in the same situation. Great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very inspiring read, and I'd love to check it out :) I would agree with the author that our mindset is everything. Thanks for a great review!
Jackie Holycross

SamaylaM wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 22:04 I've read a few "rags to riches" memoirs and possibly might give this one a read. Hopefully, I will enjoy it as I can see you did too from your review. Thanks for the great work!
I found this one unique because his family was working-poor. You don't hear their stories as often.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

The author's story sure is interesting, I enjoyed this novel too. Thanks for the insightful review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad the author made so much of himself. I'm not sure this is a book I would enjoy, though. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross

MarianaFigueira wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 14:15 The author's story sure is interesting, I enjoyed this novel too. Thanks for the insightful review!
I love your quote!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book really carries a strong message. Otherwise I love Per aspera ad astra themes.
Jackie Holycross

Dimi1 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 13:52 I totally agree with your comments; they are honest and to the point. I found also the book stimulating but I miss the details on how he got out of poverty; this would be a good feedback for people in the same situation. Great review!
I liked how he emphasized hard work and a positive attitude.
Jackie Holycross

Ellylion wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 08:59 Sounds like a very inspiring read, and I'd love to check it out :) I would agree with the author that our mindset is everything. Thanks for a great review!
I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”