Official Review: The Whirl Wind Man by John Pavon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Whirl Wind Man by John Pavon

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Whirl Wind Man" by John Pavon.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Whirl Wind Man by John Pavon is a historical and science-fiction book that centers on the lives of two brothers, Jimmy and Tim.

Jimmy and his younger brother, Tim, are eager to explore new things in their environment like most kids their age do. They made an aerodynamic vessel from some scrap metal they collected around their neighborhood and agreed never to tell anyone of their construction. One sunny day in the summer of 1963, the brothers spotted a funnel-shaped whirlwind near their house. Jimmy ran into the whirlwind and followed the rotating motion of the wind until he got dizzy. After his younger brother also did the same thing, as always was the case, they both decided to try out their vessel in the next whirlwind that came. The brothers saw a small, strange-looking man each time they were in the whirlwind. They nicknamed the mystery alien Willie and believed their craft could be a time-traveling vessel. Who is Willie? And what could be his motive for befriending the boys?

I might have piqued your interest to read this 65-page novella with my synopsis of the book's plot. In fact, I felt the same way after reading the book's description. However, I must report that the contents of the book left me so disappointed. As for the questions I asked above, I am sorry to inform you that reading the book wouldn't provide the answers for them. The author uses the first-person point of view (Jimmy's perspective) to tell the story. What I disliked most about the book was its undeveloped plot. As a result, I could neither understand what the book was about nor get any rewarding feeling of being entertained or educated by it. There wasn't a rising action or climax in the story, as the narrations never seemed to tie the different events in the book together. For example, I couldn't understand how the pictures of Bonnie and Clyde's car in the book contributed anything to the plot. And when the author tried to explain the science behind the boys' vessel, I ended up getting more confused than I was before the explanations.

Furthermore, there are myriads of errors throughout the book, and they are also very distracting. More so, the author's writing style seemed choppy in some instances. I had to reread some of the sentences to understand the author's narration. One such example is, "I remember as a young boy looking every trip to make sure the car was still there. Much later the road-way was moved not visible." Maybe the book I read is a manuscript interpreted from another language. That's the only explanation that would make sense to me.

Nevertheless, I like the author's portrayal of Jimmy's family as one that gets some fun despite being poor. Jimmy's father is a funny man, and I like how he entertains his family during meals. But are these aspects enough reason for me to recommend this book to anyone? The answer is a big no! Therefore, considering that the cons outweigh the pros by far, I am rating The Whirl Wind Man one out of four stars.

I believe the author has a lot of work to do to make this book acceptable and enjoyable. At its current state, I am sadly not recommending the book to any reader.

The Whirl Wind Man
View: on Bookshelves
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

It’s sad to know that the book did not meet the expectations. But the storyline seems interesting. Thanks for your honest review.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This book sounds so promising. Perhaps if the author works on it again, it would be better.

Thank you for a honest and detailed review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It's sad because your book summary did pique my interest as you mentioned. Alas, the book needs much better and thorough proofreading! Thank you very much for your honest and detailed review!
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

Sad for this book to get a one-star rating. Thanks for the honest review.
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

What a shame! Well, at least it was short. Thanks for the honest review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Caro Banks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caro-banks.html
Latest Review: Aaron's Story - One Wrong Turn by Carol Engler

Post by Caro Banks »

I hope adjustments are made. The plot is quite unique and potentially interesting. Thanks for an honest review.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I would love to see how Jimmy's family manage to catch some fun despite being poor. Thanks for a well-written review.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

It's a shame that such an interesting plot was underdeveloped. It had so much potential! I hope the author makes improvements on this book. Thank you for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

I like the idea of ​​mixing historical and science-fiction together.
Your summary sounded promising, and I like the basic idea of ​​the book.
It is a shame that the author did not implement the idea as expected.
Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading your review. Great work!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It certainly is a shame that the book was disappointing. I could possibly forgive errors being in the book, but if the plot wasn't developed? I am not sure I could. I guess it's a good thing the book was quite short. Thank you for the review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Rajpatil1729
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rajpatil1729 »

I like the idea of ​​mixing historical and science-fiction together.Thanks for a well-written review.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

The summary does sound compelling! It is too bad that the book itself does not carry that on.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

The concept of this book sounds great, but unfortunately, it looks like it needs a lot of revision. It's difficult to read a story with so much potential and then to be disappointed. Thank you for your honest review.
:techie-studyinggray:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The plot sounds really interesting, so hopefully the author puts in the work to fix the many issues. thanks for the thorough and honest review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”