Official Review: But Guess What I Can Think for Myself

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Official Review: But Guess What I Can Think for Myself

Post by Joy Phill »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "But Guess What I Can Think for Myself" by Judy Campbell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Often, we wish we had the opportunity to go back in time and do things differently. However, most decisions in life cannot be undone. How different things might have been if we had the needed guidance in our early years. But Guess What! I Can Think for Myself by Judy Campbell provides the needed help for the social-emotional health of children. It trains them to think for themselves.

Nine years old Tory lives with his grandmother, mother, two older brothers, and a baby brother. After the loss of his father, his mother turned to drugs and booze and so did his older brothers. He faced much pressure to do the same. Will he give in? Where will he find the needed guidance? How will Tory's life turn out? These questions are answered in this captivating book.

Judy's book is unique and purposeful. It is written to appeal to kids in the 3rd to 5th grade. Tory's choice of activities and manner of speaking is commensurate with his age. Children within his age group can identify with him and learn from him. Also, the narrative was neither too simple nor too complex. It was appropriate for the target audience.

My most favorite aspect of this book is Tory's poem. Tory wrote his poem in bits as he faced challenges in life. The complete poem was presented towards the conclusion of the book. I would describe the poem as motivating. I also love the framed, colorful pictures of Tory and his family. They brought life to the story.

I have no dislikes about this book. It was splendid. It can help children make the right decisions when confronted with using unethical drugs, engaging in premarital sex, and so on. However, religiously sensitive readers should note that it leans towards the Christian faith.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was awesomely edited. Teachers and parents can find it instrumental in guiding their wards. Children aged 9 years and below would find it appealing.

But Guess What I Can Think for Myself
View: on Bookshelves
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This review is very helpful. I can think of a friend i would want to recommend this book to. Being Christian myself, i would also like to read the book and see what it is about
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This was a great review and I think I will love this book! Appealing to get the minds of children thinking.
NerdyVicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdyvicky.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by NerdyVicky »

Your review surely made this book interesting. Even though it's for young children, I'm interested in checking it out. I particularly like where you mentioned that Tory speaks like an actual child of his age does. This means the writer knows a thing or two about developing relatable characters. Well done with the review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This sounds like a perfect kids book. Great review, thanks.
samps1910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samps1910.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by samps1910 »

This review is written very well! I honestly wish I had a book like this in my childhood. This seems like a great book to guide young ones.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This seems like a beautiful and informative read. Im quite interested in reading this book although it is a Children’s book.
olum anyango
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olum anyango »

what a great book to read would love to read this book it can be used as a way of instilling good morals to our children lovely.
bk_2210
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bk_2210 »

Well, if you are looking for a book that helps a great deal with ways of parenting and also Christianity, then this your book.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Since most of the adults drown themselves in drugs and alcohol, it looks like it's up to Tory to take care of himself. Even nowadays, families like that are not rare, so this children's book is relatable and helpful for kids who are in Tory's shoes.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Sounds great and quite unique for a children's book, though I could live without the religious parts of it. Thanks for the insightful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This book indeed sounds unique and purposeful. Readers would love to explore more about Tory's life. Thanks for a great review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I love that difficult topics are incorporated in this children's book.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Sounds like a great book. The premise is a heavy but realistic one, and I like that the plot is not too simple or complex.
Lois_B
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lois-b.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Lois_B »

I think this book will be just suitable for my ten-year-old nephew. I cannot wait to read this book with him in the evenings. Thank you so much for this review. I’m very much interested in this book.

Return to “Children's Books”