Review by sharon titus -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Review by sharon titus -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by sharon titus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Turn by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the dark mythological series The Turn. The series ultimately consist of five novels with a post-apocalypse theme.

As being the first novel of the series, it acts as an introduction. The story begins after the maddening destruction of the world, popularly known as the turn. No one knows the cause of this devastating tragedy which left only ten percent of the total population alive, scavenging and struggling to survive. The world is not the same as it used to be inhumanity like slavery is now practiced commonly.

The plot revolves around three main characters: The protagonist duo of the scholar and Ashley, and the antagonist Cattleprod an ex-teacher who is now a wanted human trafficker with an insatiable lust for power. Each one of them has their twisted motives and goals in this new world. The novel portrays a tale of two contrasting strangers facing together a newfangled and wild adventure in this dark but rapidly changing world.

Author Matthew tysz has done an absolute job producing an outstanding and intriguing novel with the most charismatic and vivid characters. The scholar is an introverted mercenary who wants to take control of the world. Ashley is a narcissistic metrosexual who was a successful wall street playboy in his pre-turn life. The contrasting personalities of the lead make their arguments and conversations very entertaining.

However, the thing I least liked about the book was that it was a little hard to comprehend at first. The massacre known as the turn was not unveiled in this book. I would recommend reading the full series for better comprehension and entertainment.

The book contains profanity but no erotic scenes.

The book depicts all kinds of abuse. Hence, I would not recommend it for young and sensitive readers. The book might be depressing and bizarre for some readers as it has a gloomy aura to it. Its mature and frightening content also makes the book unsuitable for children under sixteen.

I would give this book a 3 out of 4 stars for its intriguing plot and uniqueness. The charismatic and cunning persona of the flawed characters earned the stars in the ratings. The book is well-edited. I did not come across any grammatical errors and typos.

I would recommend this book to those who are interested in science fiction with a chaotic apocalypse theme. The book would be suitable for fans of bizarre mysteries.

The Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Sounds like a great book for sci-fi lovers. Great review!
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I love Matthew Tysz's style, but this is definitely too dark for me. Thank you for the insightful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
sharon titus

Post by sharon titus »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 03:15 Sounds like a great book for sci-fi lovers. Great review!
Thank you for stopping by. It really is a great read.
sharon titus

Post by sharon titus »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 15:19 I love Matthew Tysz's style, but this is definitely too dark for me. Thank you for the insightful review.
I agree Matthew tysz's books have a dark theme. thank you for stopping by.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

It's great to note that Mathew has another series after I read the Voulhire series. Great review.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

I liked this book, even if it was a bit too dark for me. But I think the characters were very well portrayed. I think Matthew Tysz is a writer with a great imagination, the worlds he creates are impressive. I am an even bigger fan of his We are Voulhire series. Nice review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds interesting, I like the dystopian type stories. It can take a little bit to get into them thought. I feel like many books like this can have trouble creating a clear begining.
sharon titus

Post by sharon titus »

Slater678 wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 07:28 It's great to note that Mathew has another series after I read the Voulhire series. Great review.
Yes I agree, I am a fan of the Voulhire series. Thank you for stopping by.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

This book is on my to-read list, I love Tysz's writing style. It is interesting to see how different this series seems from his other one. Thanks for your detailed review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I love dystopian genres. I already want to know what caused the turn, on top of having lots of other questions. I hope I get to read it. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”