Official Review: Modern Dreamwork by Linda Yael Schiller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: Modern Dreamwork by Linda Yael Schiller

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Modern Dreamwork" by Linda Yael Schiller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the late 1990s, I attended a workshop on dream interpretation. The facilitator noted that dream dictionaries aren't worth the paper they're printed on. While working in a small group, I mentioned my recurring dreams about rushing to catch a train but encountering multiple obstacles. One group member said that meant I was preoccupied with control, but I wasn't content with that analysis.

This came back to me as I read Modern Dreamwork by Linda Yael Schiller. I welcomed her emphasis that "the dream belongs to the dreamer". (Modern Dreamwork by Linda Yael Schiller, p.76). In other words, to be of worth, an interpretation must resonate strongly with the person who had the dream. The dreamer should know this intuitively by dint of a tingle or "Aha!" moment. However, this insight should be selected from the widest possible range of associations with the dream symbols in question, and other people can certainly be helpful in suggesting these. Even dream dictionaries could have their uses here because although dreams are created in an individual's mind, they may contain images from shared mythology.

Universal myths and the anthropological history of dream interpretation are some of the many subjects Schiller explores in this comprehensive guide to working with dreams. The book explains how to use dreams to promote self-knowledge and personal development, also demonstrating how to tap into subconscious wisdom when struggling to make a decision. Schiller provides tips on how to remember and record dreams as well as supplying frameworks for interpretation. Each chapter ends with an exercise and a link back to the contents page, which is a welcome aid to navigating the chapters as needed. One of my favourite aspects was Schiller's originality in devising her own analytical methods. Her Guided Active Imagination Approach (GAIA) is particularly helpful in dealing with nightmares. There is even a section on how to soothe children suffering from nightmares.

Therefore, one group of people I'd recommend this book to is parents. Otherwise, anyone plagued by nightmares or recurring dreams will find tools in it that will help them move forward. I'd also recommend this to anyone who is fascinated by the alternate universe offered by dreams and would like to learn more about their roles in waking life. Written in a clear and lively style, this could also appeal to mental health professionals who use their clients' dreams for therapeutic purposes. Schiller has experience with this, and her book is a scholarly one that draws on the work of many experts. However, this book is not for sceptics who think that sleeping minds simply generate random thoughts.

I sometimes came across that attitude when I recounted my dreams in the 1980s and 1990s. Yet I can reveal that I am still having the same recurring dreams as I did in my youth. I believe my vivid and recurring dreams are trying to get my attention. I look forward to employing the techniques in this book and will know I'm on the right track, so to speak, when the train dreams stop. An overarching theme of the book is that of a journey home. In that connection, Schiller frequently illustrates her points with examples from The Wizard of Oz.

One very minor criticism I have is that she constantly refers to the movie version. I came to know and love the books by L. Frank Baum well before I saw the movie, and there are some differences. In a stunning example of how nightmares can be transformed, however, Schiller does reveal that Scarecrow had his origins in L. Frank Baum's nightmares!

This is just one example showing that this book is as informative as it is practical. It has clearly been carefully put together; however, unfortunately, a few typos slipped through the cracks. As I found more than ten of these, I have to rate this book three out of four stars. I deducted a star only because of the errors; this is a fascinating, multifaceted book and a marvellous resource.

Modern Dreamwork
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Interesting. It sounds like this book could give me, as a mother, a better answer than, "It was just a dream. It's not real. Go back to sleep." I have always looked at dreams as my subconscious' way of working on some real-life problem, but that is an interesting idea to relate it to children that way. Thank you for your review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Nice! This is a helpful guide to sort out and make sense of dreams. Thanks for the comprehensive review and recommendation.
Alice Heritage
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily

Post by Alice Heritage »

LeighBee wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 12:28 Interesting. It sounds like this book could give me, as a mother, a better answer than, "It was just a dream. It's not real. Go back to sleep." I have always looked at dreams as my subconscious' way of working on some real-life problem, but that is an interesting idea to relate it to children that way. Thank you for your review!
There's some really good step-by-step advice on helping children deal with nightmares. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

sssns wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 19:42 Nice! This is a helpful guide to sort out and make sense of dreams. Thanks for the comprehensive review and recommendation.
There was a lot in the book - it was really great. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I've always believed that some dreams (especially recurring ones) must have some meaning, but I could never find satisfying answers online or in things like dream dictionaries. This sounds like a helpful resources, especially with the section on dealing with nightmares. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

maggi3 wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 20:45 I've always believed that some dreams (especially recurring ones) must have some meaning, but I could never find satisfying answers online or in things like dream dictionaries. This sounds like a helpful resources, especially with the section on dealing with nightmares. Thanks for the review!
I agree - it can be so helpful to decode their messages, so I found this book quite life changing. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am just studying to became a sleeping coach, so this book is perfect for me! Thank you so much for your recommendation, and I loved your thorough review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 08:58 I am just studying to became a sleeping coach, so this book is perfect for me! Thank you so much for your recommendation, and I loved your thorough review!
A sleeping coach - wow, that sounds like a great job! I learned from this book that when people used to go to bed and rise with the sun, it was normal to wake up for a while around 3 a.m., and creative people sometimes did their work then.

Many thanks to you for stopping by!
Mod
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 12:08
raluca_mihaila wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 08:58 I am just studying to became a sleeping coach, so this book is perfect for me! Thank you so much for your recommendation, and I loved your thorough review!
A sleeping coach - wow, that sounds like a great job! I learned from this book that when people used to go to bed and rise with the sun, it was normal to wake up for a while around 3 a.m., and creative people sometimes did their work then.

Many thanks to you for stopping by!
Well, there are a lot of people struggling with sleep, so this is an important part of wellness. Interesting information! :)
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

You had me at "methods to help in remembering your dreams." I almost always forget my dreams even though I can get a sense of whether they were pleasant or not so pleasant. I would LOVE to be able to remember my dreams!! This one is definitely going on my TBR shelf!! Thanks for the recommendation!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Kelyn wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 22:03 You had me at "methods to help in remembering your dreams." I almost always forget my dreams even though I can get a sense of whether they were pleasant or not so pleasant. I would LOVE to be able to remember my dreams!! This one is definitely going on my TBR shelf!! Thanks for the recommendation!
I hope you find it helpful! Interestingly, the author notes that it's sufficient to write a sentence or maybe even a word, or even the feeling you have when you wake up.

I'm a "strong dreamer", and it would take hours to write down everything I remember from every night. She has a tip about how to apply a filter to that kind of thing too!
Mod
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

I love informative books. I would like to read this. Thanks for the review. :)
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Noriel DM wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 11:31 I love informative books. I would like to read this. Thanks for the review. :)
It's a good one - not a run-of-the-mill topic either. Thanks for commenting!
Mod
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Interesting book, I don't have reoccurring dreams but my mom does, so this could be a good book for her. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”