Official Review: Systematic by Antonio D Sherrell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Systematic by Antonio D Sherrell

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Systematic" by Antonio D Sherrell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people are taught from birth to follow the system that has existed for years. Because of this, humans live monotonous daily lives that are devoid of any happiness or creativity. Is it possible for someone to free themselves from this never-ending cycle? Antonio D. Sherrell believes that it is, which is the reason why the book Systematic came to be. The author explains how some of the systems that exist, such as college, religion, and work schedules, are broken. With this information, Mr. Sherrell advises readers on how they can break away from these systems and live their lives without the constraints that come with them.

My favorite aspect of the book was the author’s explanation of the 9-5 workday. Personally, I do not believe that this work schedule is for everyone. Because of this, I naturally absorbed the advice this chapter provided. The section regarding employee treatment was insightful; the author clearly used his experiences to write this section. I recommend this chapter to readers that are questioning their value to their employers.

Sadly, the book did not provide a lot of the advice that I was expecting. When I picked up this book for review, I was excited because I wanted to get advice on becoming my own person from a Christian’s viewpoint. The writing style read like a journal consisting of the author’s thoughts and opinions. Occasionally, he would provide pieces of advice, but it was not often. The author seems to be having a one-sided conversation with his readers because of it. I would have liked to have had a chance to form my own opinion about the content.

When the author provided advice in one of the chapters, he made the following statement: "You can completely break free from the negative statistics propounded against you and your kind…" I found the use of the word "kind" in this context offensive, and I am sure that other readers will feel the same way. Systematic is supposed to be an inspirational and uplifting Christian-based book, which is why this statement’s inclusion was shocking. The author should revise or remove this sentence due to the negative connotation surrounding it.

I found over ten grammatical errors in the first fifteen pages of this book, which indicates that it was not professionally edited. Due to the grammatical errors and the negatives discussed, I am giving this book a final rating of two out of four stars. I contemplated giving it a one-star rating, but I think readers with open minds may find some advice in this book helpful. There are some Bible verses mentioned, so this book may be best suited for readers who do not mind this and like self-help books. This book was okay, but I will not be re-reading it in the future.

Systematic
View: on Bookshelves
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

That was a very good review! I was interested in the book at first from the title and the first part of your review but knowing that it's a Christian-based book is a slight turn-off because religion in itself is very systematic and morality/rule-driven. It seems like this book would contradict the very premise it seeks to portray if it is approaching it from a religious standpoint.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

This seems like an interesting book. Hopefully the author can go back and fix the errors you pointed out. Thank you for your review.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

zulfiyya wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 16:48 That was a very good review! I was interested in the book at first from the title and the first part of your review but knowing that it's a Christian-based book is a slight turn-off because religion in itself is very systematic and morality/rule-driven. It seems like this book would contradict the very premise it seeks to portray if it is approaching it from a religious standpoint.
That is a very good point! I was wondering about this when writing the review as well, but I thought that I was the only one that was thinking about this. Thanks for the comment! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for your review. This sounds like it has a good premise, so I think I would be likewise disappointed that it doesn't provide practical advice.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

I dislike books with too many typos and errors; so I'm gonna skip this one. Thank you for your review.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I find it a pretty honest review and I was a bit shocked with the statement on "kind". It seems to me that there might be some obvious bias by the author, which justifies your rating. Great review!
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

Based on the title and book cover, it looked interesting. As a Christian, it seems like I would agree with you in your understanding of this. The amount of errors makes me cringe too haha. Good review none the less!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”