Official Review: Healer: Reducing Crises by Elizabeth Power

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Healer: Reducing Crises by Elizabeth Power

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healer: Reducing Crises" by Elizabeth Power.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trauma: what is your definition of this word? Have you had any traumatic experiences before? What impact did such an experience have on you? In Healer: Reducing Crises, the first book in a series, Elizabeth Power, the founder of the Trauma-Informed Academy, who has suffered and continues to heal from her fair share of PTSD, not only offers detailed answers to these questions, but she also provides in-depth knowledge on the vital tools that we can employ to handle and heal from the trauma that we have suffered.

She takes us through the definitions of trauma, placing impact-based trauma over event-name trauma, gauging the overlooked effect of the media on causing trauma, the connection between emotional intelligence (EQ) and overcoming trauma, and even the methods of monitoring the progress we have made on the road to recovery.

I have to say that this was an informative read. One thing that settled me on commencing the journey to read this book while confronting my traumatic experiences was the author's use of common real-life examples revolving around how trauma is subjective and should not be compared. She also shows how different words that normally mean the same thing can be used to classify different feelings by different people, and I think that an understanding of this is the first and important step in recognizing and dealing with trauma. Learning this was also my favorite aspect of the book.

Elizabeth Power's message here is quite easy to understand since she maintains her use of simple language throughout the book and employs a conversational tone while including a lot of questions about her lessons that will help readers. Accompanying these questions are practical solutions in a stepwise manner to improve accessibility. Some of the information in the book is also dished out in a tabular form, including how to release stored up chemicals from trauma through muscle movements, employing the "victory cycle" in developing elastic emotions, and understanding our inner connections. The book is comprehensive overall.

With respect to what I did not like about the book, I can only think of the errors I found while reading. Another round of editing will help to eliminate the errors and make this book a perfect read.

Healer: Reducing Crises deserves a rating of 3 out of 4 stars from me. I did not give the maximum rating on account of the errors I found. If you have ever gone through any traumatic experience, you should read this book. It will help you to efficiently deal with your trauma while developing self-awareness, self-regulation, social awareness, and empathy skills.

Healer: Reducing Crises
View: on Bookshelves
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for your review. As someone who falls into the category of having gone through trauma, I think this book could be useful for me. I definitely need to develop more self-awareness in this area.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's sad that a good and motivating story can be ruined by the grammatical errors identified. I hope that the author gets to proofread the book and re-launch it. Either way, a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”