Official Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of ...

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a considerable amount of research to find the location best for them, Jim Santos and his wife moved from the United States to Salinas, Ecuador. Using the knowledge gained after living there for several years, he has written Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life. This is an informative and entertaining book that examines misinformation about moving abroad that is commonly accepted as truth. It should be read by anyone thinking about moving to another country.

Are you the type of person who would enjoy and flourish from a move or would you regret it and be miserable the whole time? The knowledge Mr. Santos has presented can help make that decision easier. The information would be most relevant for people who want to relocate to Ecuador but could be easily applied to additional countries. The pros and cons of a move are candidly given. Among other things, the author describes what one needs to do to live cheaply, information about the healthcare system (including options for health insurance), relying on other expatriates, and whether one needs to learn the local language. He discusses how news in the United States seems to reinforce the belief that it is hazardous to live anywhere but in the United States and tells us if there is truth to the belief. Advice on how to stay safe and not be victimized is also given.

Although loving to travel, due to personal reasons, I won’t be able to do much of that for some time. Therefore, I looked forward to reading Mr. Santos’s book and wasn’t disappointed. His writing is easy to follow and very descriptive. He has authored many articles about his life in Ecuador that have been published in several international retirement and travel publications. Subsequently, he has acquired a lot of experience in professional writing, and it shows. In this 151-page book, Mr. Santos frequently cites examples of situations he encountered while living in Salinas to illustrate his point. These stories are frequently filled with humor and compelled me to chuckle from time to time.

One of the dominant themes that I love in the book is to treat others with respect and kindness. This was mentioned on numerous occasions. One can’t expect others to respect them and treat them right if they, themselves, are condescending and unkind. This is true no matter where one lives. I also appreciate the fact that the author encourages the expats to go out of their comfort zone, make an effort to meet the locals, and appreciate the culture of their adopted country. This would increase the chances of having a more enjoyable experience.

I encountered a few minor errors in the book. However, they didn’t affect my enjoyment and were not enough to cause me to lower the grade. Because I found nothing else about the book to dislike, Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life achieves a rating of four out of four stars. Being well written and informative, it is enthusiastically recommended to readers interested in moving abroad. People who enjoy stories about travel may also appreciate it. A few profanities were encountered, so readers who prefer to avoid anything with expletives might want to look elsewhere.

I would like to finish with a quote from the author that struck a chord with me: “We have learned something that everyone approaching retirement needs to take to heart: retirement is no longer just a goal. It is a journey to be enjoyed and cherished.”

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This book seems to be written for a specific target audience. Having emigrated myself, I can probably relate to the book's content. Your review has been very informative, thank you.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I was born and raised in the United States, but in my early 20’s, I lived in Japan for a couple of years, so I'm very interested in reading this book about his experiences. Thank you for your informative review!
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I'm definitely interested in reading this book as I'm an expat myself. I would find it fascinating to compare the author's experiences with my own, having lived abroad for over 20 years now. I also really enjoy reading about new places and travel so this looks right up my alley. Thank you for the excellent review!
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

People will love to read this book those who keep migrating , I've shifted in many states of my country and I can relate to this book and I'll love to read it.
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

People will love to read this book those who keep migrating , I've shifted in many states of my country and I can relate to this book and I'll love to read it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 16:15 This book seems to be written for a specific target audience. Having emigrated myself, I can probably relate to the book's content. Your review has been very informative, thank you.
Yes, I have to agree that only a targeted audience would enjoy reading it. However, I think those people would really appreciate it. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Smmwallace wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 18:17 I was born and raised in the United States, but in my early 20’s, I lived in Japan for a couple of years, so I'm very interested in reading this book about his experiences. Thank you for your informative review!
That sounds amazing! Maybe you should write a book about your experiences; I would love to read it. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Suekihleng wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 20:21 I'm definitely interested in reading this book as I'm an expat myself. I would find it fascinating to compare the author's experiences with my own, having lived abroad for over 20 years now. I also really enjoy reading about new places and travel so this looks right up my alley. Thank you for the excellent review!
[/

I've always admired people who have the nerve to move somewhere else. I love to travel, but I don't think I could talk my husband into staying anywhere for very long. :lol: Thanks for reading my review. I hope you get a chance to read the book!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I know many people who live abroad and I cannot wait for that opportunity. I think reading a book like this would be good to prepare myself! Thank you for the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vkaur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vkaur.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Vkaur »

I was born and raised in the UK, then moved to Germany a few years ago. I found myself nodding to some of his points you raised in your review. I would be able to resonate with him, I think. Thank you for your review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Arpita Choudhari wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 22:32 People will love to read this book those who keep migrating , I've shifted in many states of my country and I can relate to this book and I'll love to read it.
I hope you get to read it as I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

RayRuff wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 08:29 I know many people who live abroad and I cannot wait for that opportunity. I think reading a book like this would be good to prepare myself! Thank you for the review.
It would be an excellent way to prepare yourself! Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Vkaur wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 09:03 I was born and raised in the UK, then moved to Germany a few years ago. I found myself nodding to some of his points you raised in your review. I would be able to resonate with him, I think. Thank you for your review!
I have traveled to several countries but have never lived outside the U.S. However, I would love to live in different countries for a month at a time just to see what it is like. I think you would enjoy the book.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love to travel, so it seems like the book approaches an interesting perspective. Thank you for your recommendation and great job!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”