Official Review: My Father's Daughter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: My Father's Daughter

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Father's Daughter" by Katherine Goertz Thompson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Saskia Hommes now lives in Canada, her dream country, where she moved in 1982 from her homeland, the Netherlands. In the book, she recalled the highlights of her life from her birth in 1961 in Hollandia, New Guinea. Her story unfolded like an exciting movie, including intriguing tidbits about World War II, the unrest in Dutch New Guinea when she was very young, and the secrets that she unearthed about her family. From 18 months old, she was raised in a palatial home in The Hague, but their material wealth did not make up for the love that she longed for.

The book cinematically begins in 1993 with Saskia fumbling with a letter from her mother, Francie. She is about to discover the answer to the nagging question of her childhood. The answer will come with “the six words” that will rock her world.

Katherine Goertz Thompson was given the privilege to write Saskia’s story in My Father’s Daughter: The Surprising Identity of Saskia Hommes. I was moved by the many hardships that Saskia endured in her life, which the author skillfully narrated using Saskia’s voice. “Though wealthy, I felt utterly impoverished” was particularly poignant for me. “Money cannot buy happiness” may be a cliché, but it is undoubtedly true.

This is a Christian book, but non-believers need not shun it. The author is careful to avoid preachy statements. While the book has very little graphic content and almost no profanity, there are scenes that are better suited for a mature audience. Parents are especially invited to read this family drama.

The history of the island of New Guinea fascinated me. Thompson’s discussion of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands and the Dutch resistance movement was likewise enlightening. I would love to watch the acclaimed war film that hugely changed Saskia’s life: Soldier of Orange. I also found Saskia’s prayers to Sinterklaas charming; she was then a child of eight who did not yet know Jesus. (This just shows how popular Ole Santa is!) Saskia’s loving relationship with her horse was heartwarming. I wish the horse was named, though.

Although merely 88 pages, the book would have been more rewarding if the author used chapters to break up Saskia’s story. While the chronology of events was mostly clear throughout, I would have wanted to appreciate her life episodes more. Chapter breaks would have been useful for parsing the events and the attendant lessons. I likewise noted a number of errors that disrupted my reading. I enjoyed the pictures of Saskia and her family (plus her horse!) at the end of the book, but they were tiny. The captions were hardly readable.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars for its inspiring story of triumph. A Christian myself, I believe that allowing Jesus into one’s life will make it more bearable. Unfortunately, I have to consider the negatives I enumerated above, and they take away one star from my rating. The author can definitely claim that star with ease because the flaws are not irreparable.

I cannot let this review end without saying that the cover is perfect. Like Saskia, I will always be a child and my Father’s daughter.

My Father's Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

How interesting to view WWII from the perspective of a wealthy girl in the middle of it. I usually prefer chapters myself, but it sounds like at 88 pages, it wouldn't be difficult to navigate. Thank you for your review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! Great review, I enjoyed reading it
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

LeighBee wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 08:14 How interesting to view WWII from the perspective of a wealthy girl in the middle of it. I usually prefer chapters myself, but it sounds like at 88 pages, it wouldn't be difficult to navigate. Thank you for your review.
Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Mtibza eM wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 13:43 Wow! Great review, I enjoyed reading it
And I love your avatar! Thanks for the kind words.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to find out more about New Guinea. Thank you for this riveting review!
Caro Banks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caro-banks.html
Latest Review: Aaron's Story - One Wrong Turn by Carol Engler

Post by Caro Banks »

I agree that this book is built on an interesting premise. I would love to read more about Saskia. Thanks for a detailed review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 17:11 I would love to find out more about New Guinea. Thank you for this riveting review!
That island is the second-largest in the world, next only to Greenland. The world is a fascinating place.

Thanks for the sweet words.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Caro Banks wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 17:55 I agree that this book is built on an interesting premise. I would love to read more about Saskia. Thanks for a detailed review.
I hope you get to meet Saskia soon.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the realistic way the author has portrayed Saskia's life. Thanks for the great review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Slater678 wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 05:17 I like the realistic way the author has portrayed Saskia's life. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for visiting and leaving a kind comment.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

This sounds like a must read for me! As I'm writing a memoir myself, I find the review very helpful. It is direct and honest without sounding detached. Amazing job!!! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I already feel encouraged to read this book. Needing to know the answer to her question is my motivation. I hope that the chapter issue can be quickly and easily resolved. Thanks for such a well-written review.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

Sounds like a great book. I love a motivational book that helps me to keep going. Thanks for an engaging review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

FEislandqueen13 wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 07:53 This sounds like a must read for me! As I'm writing a memoir myself, I find the review very helpful. It is direct and honest without sounding detached. Amazing job!!! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
Please remember me when you're famous! Happy writing! 😊

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”