Official Review: War of the Sparrows by Matt Strempel

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Official Review: War of the Sparrows by Matt Strempel

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "War of the Sparrows" by Matt Strempel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War of the Sparrows by Matt Strempel brings readers to Australia ten years after the Second World War. Frank Miller was one of the Australian soldiers who fought the German enemies during the siege of Tobruk. Frank's traumatic past still haunts him in the present while he tries to live an ordinary life. As Frank wrestles with his invisible wounds, Francesca, his thirteen-year-old daughter, attempts to rebuild their relationship. When curiosity takes Francesca to the attic and into her father’s war relics, she discovers the horrors of the past and a mysterious connection between her and her father.

What I enjoyed the most about this book was its emotional resonance. It exposed me to war atrocities by touching on my emotions and sentimentality with so much nuance. War tears families apart and turns men into killing machines. Soldiers either die on the battlefield or survive with scars beyond physical relief. The families back home live in fear as they pray for their soldiers to come home alive.

I also liked how the characters gave life to these sentiments. Frank, the protagonist, is a very complex and unpredictable character. The author does not tell more than necessary, giving readers the liberty to interpret Frank’s actions and motivations. Also, Strempel wrote the teenagers in this book so well. Despite being described as an intelligent kid, Francesca was still as clumsy and childish as all the other girls her age. She does the opposite of her parents’ orders by embarking on clandestine endeavors. Jimmy, her sixteen-year-old friend, is realistically awkward and is most likely to embarrass himself. Amid the bleak atmosphere, these teenagers provided comic relief to the story.

Interestingly, the author incorporates paranormal elements in the book. The author blended these elements so seamlessly into the story that they almost appeared realistic. I liked how this aspect of the book challenged my perception of reality. I was also impressed by the writing. The prose has a wealth of metaphors and similes, making the reading experience extra delightful. With the writing so exquisite and professionally edited, I truly felt like I was in a bygone era. Further, the pacing is relatively slow, but the author is adept at building suspense and tension when the scene demands it.

I can’t think of anything to dislike. I would recommend this to anyone who might be into historical fiction that is more on drama and mystery. Although the novel is about war, the action scenes aren't excessive. It might not be suitable for readers who are looking for such works. Overall, I find this book ingenious. The characters are realistic, and the narrative style is remarkable. I couldn’t rate this book any less than 4 out of 4 stars.

War of the Sparrows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I find your review very detailed and well-written, and now I am curious about this book! Nice job :)
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

War stories are not really my cup of tea, but I deeply enjoyed your insightful review, well done!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This would be a great way to learn about how way effects those that have been through it. It sounds interesting and yet emotional. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Your summary of this book makes it sound very interesting. I enjoyed reading your review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your intriguing review. PTSD is never easy to endure, especially for soldiers and their families. I wonder what could be there in the attic to connect Frank and his daughter.

Return to “Historical Fiction”