Official Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Official Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Your Smart Home Voyage" by Gary Rockis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This full-size book (8.5 x 11 inches) by Gary J. Rockis takes the reader on a guided tour of all the benefits that smart devices can provide for the home. It begins with a room-by-room overview of potential improvements that could enhance comfort, convenience, and safety. Each of the following chapters explains in detail how specific mechanisms and systems operate and how they can be used to best effect.

A final chapter shows how to plan for smart home improvements, including budget considerations, installation options, and decisions to be made when buying or selling a home with smart features. In addition to an index at the end of the book, each chapter concludes with a brief summary and a checklist of the equipment highlighted in that chapter.

Your Smart Home Voyage contains an outstanding collection of illustrations. It supplies photographs, drawings, diagrams, and tables, many of which are in color and/or full-page size. I found this plenitude of graphics to be tremendously helpful in understanding the concepts presented, especially in regard to renewable energy systems. I learned about the variety of approaches to renewable energy, the technology used, and the advantages and disadvantages of each method.

The writing is equally impressive. Mr. Rockis begins each topic with a general description and then gradually provides increasing amounts of data, right down to extremely technical facts (complete with illustrations, of course). This approach allows readers to acquire information at whatever level they prefer. Some might want more of an overview; others might prefer to explore all the engineering details.

Yet another positive feature is the coverage of products. The descriptions cover the full range of possibilities, from small appliances to extensive networks, making this book useful for owners of tiny condominiums, huge mansions, or anything in between. One entire chapter is devoted to wireless technology, explaining how it developed and how it became a key component of every smart home. The chapter also includes a very helpful chart that lists the advantages and disadvantages of wired versus wireless systems

Your Smart Home Voyage is not the sort of book one simply reads and then puts away. Rather, its best value can be experienced by reading through it once to get acquainted, penciling in notes during a second reading, and then coming back to it whenever there is a home-related issue to be solved or simply a desire to improve some feature of the home.

I was delighted with my voyage through these exciting smart home opportunities; there was much to enjoy and nothing at all to dislike. Your Smart Home Voyage clearly deserves 4 out of 4 stars for its excellent writing, wonderful illustrations, superb organization, and vast quantities of useful information.

Your Smart Home Voyage
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Love the idea of this! I’ve been wanting to add smart technology to my home and legitimately don’t know where to start. Thanks for such a clear review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Mr.Rockis writings are quite detailed and helpful.The use of graphics amplified the importance of the book.Thanks for the great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's a smart world and this guide will be great to read. Wireless technology and new approach to renewable energy is the way forward. Thank you for an informative review!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This book sounds great for techie readers.
I would like to read something like this and recommend it to my family members who are addicted to using gadgets.
Thanks for the descriptive review!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I have always considered myself an analogue person, but this book might be interesting for getting some updates on technology. I appreciate that illustrations are present. Thank you for the review! :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”