Official Review: Supreme Realization by Anthony Nayagan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Supreme Realization by Anthony Nayagan

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Supreme Realization" by Anthony Nayagan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Supreme Realization, written by Anthony Nayagan, is a book about spiritual mysticism, which the author tells readers is as old as Christianity itself. Nayagan uses several resources to explain that acquiring “self-knowledge” is the foundation of spiritual mysticism, and he explores how mystical faith involves realizing the likeness of God within us. The author cites numerous passages in the Bible to explore how names such as Adam, Moses, Elijah, Joseph, Christ, His disciples, and Mother Mary were mystics who executed “the Will of God.” He also posits that Jesus trained all of His apostles to be mystics. Moreover, he believes that “Mother Mary was the most incredible mystic who ever walked on this planet.”

Nayagan was born in Sri Lanka in the 1950s, and he recalls that his father was strict. The author left Sri Lanka in 1977, when he was twenty-four, and moved to the UK to continue his studies. In 1979, he went to the US, and he believes that “American culture allows for individuals to thrive.”

What I liked the most about the book was the author’s insightful reexamination of several biblical narratives. Above all, I enjoyed how Nayagan intertwines his challenges and ventures with a mystic perspective on religious texts, notably the Bible. As the book progresses, the author achieves a smooth and lovely blend of recollections, personal stories, biblical interpretations, and spiritual insights. I particularly enjoyed how the author examines the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel and how it delves deeply into the mystery of the seven layers of consciousness: physical, vital, mental, intellectual, beatitudes, self-awareness, and divine existence. The author posits that a non-dual state of consciousness (the seventh level or layer) is the essence of Christian mysticism.

Additionally, I found the book to be well-written and well-researched. Besides the Bible, the author cites several other religious sources, which I appreciated. For instance, he refers to the Upanishads, which explains that consciousness is the make-up of seven governing principles of the soul, and he also mentions how one can find a similar reference in the seven chakras. Similarly, we learn that the Quran stated that Allah created seven heavens in layers. I also liked how he uses scientific concepts, such as quantum physics, to substantiate his reflections.

With that said, I gladly give this book the highest rating: 4 out of 4 stars. There’s nothing I disliked about it, and it seemed professionally edited. I recommend it to open-minded readers who are interested in spiritual growth. If you have a markedly orthodox view of Christianity, though, some of the mystical concepts may not sit well with you.

Supreme Realization
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Anthony looking into the mystery of the seven layers of consciousness in the book of Ezekiel must leave the reader learning a new thing.
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

The detailed look at Christianity through the mysticism perspective sounds very interesting. I'll be adding this one to my shelves to read soon. Good job on the review!
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The impartial and objective approach of the author is remarkable. I appreciate your comprehensive review.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

I could say the book tends towards voodoo with the review. Would rather skip reading this though
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Although today's BOTD isn't the one for me, those interested in spiritual growth and mysticism will enjoy this thought-provoking read. In addition to being well-written, it''s also professionally edited, which makes for an overall pleasant experience. Thank you for your thorough review. It was really helpful! :-)
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Looks like a great spiritual resource book on the religion front. The emphasis on spiritual mysticism, through “self-knowledge” taking to mystical faith as the likeness of God is really amazing approach to narrate in. Nice review, mmm17. Thanks.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

An author’s journey to know God through spiritual mysticism sounds interesting. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with the Bible nor I understand quantum physics, but this book seems great for those seeking unorthodox spiritual growth.
Great review!
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a book that explains several narratives of the bible from a new point of view. Congratulations BOTD!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This book isn't for me as I believe that true Christianity has no ties with mysticism. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's surprising that the Bible keeps getting explained from different perspectives, trying to find hidden meanings. I suppose I prefer to stick to the old fashioned way of reading and interpreting the Bible.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspirational and honest account that highlights the mysticism and Christianity of an ordinary sinful Catholic man who searched for Truth in all religions. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review.Congrats on the BOTD.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds like it's way out of my realm of understanding, but for those heavily influenced by religion, particularly the Bible, this would be a great read. I like that the author cites several resources as opossed to just the Bible. Thanks for the informative review.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Supreme Realization by Anthony Nayagan seems like an informative book especially to those who would want to view Christianity through the mysticism perspective. I don't mind giving it a shot. Congratulations on the BOTD. Great review!
Books are beautiful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”