Official Review: The Drowning Pool by Gerald Wixey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: The Drowning Pool by Gerald Wixey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Drowning Pool" by gerald wixey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born into a Cornish fishing community, Jago had never really been able to find his place. He’d prefer to be drinking at the pub than on the water with his abrasive old man who blamed him for his brother’s death. After the fishing accident that took David’s life, his dad’s anger drove a sharp knife into their relationship; Jago could never shake the feeling that his dad wished it had been Jago who died on the water that day.

Grief-stricken and wracked with guilt, Jago had the propensity for self-destructive behavior such as drinking too much and chasing a soon-to-be-married woman. Beautiful and affluent Diane was happy to carry on an affair with Jago. Sometimes she’d even claim that she loved him. Still, Jago wasn’t sure that Diane ever had the intention of fully giving him her heart. Could she give up her comfortable life for a lowly fisherman, or was she content with stringing him along and capitalizing on his guilt?

Would Jago be able to mend the shattered relationship with his father and live happily ever after with the love of his life?

The Drowning Pool by Gerald Wixey is a heart-wrenching novel spanning over a decade. It uncovers the far-reaching consequences of family tragedy and the plight of loving someone who cannot fully reciprocate. The story is told from the first-person perspective following Jago. He must come to terms with the loss of his brother and navigate the perils of love. The novel is not for the faint of heart—it’s not a conventional love story that is packaged neatly and delivered with a bow on top. It’s messy and weathered and might not be what readers expect, but, in my opinion, that’s what makes it raw, relatable, and intoxicatingly beautiful.

What I loved most about The Drowning Pool were the multidimensional characters that the author created. These were complex people that were broken and looking for someone or something to put them back together. Jago’s guilt was all-encompassing and transformed him into a man who settled for far less than he deserved. Jago’s dad, Marcus, allowed grief to consume him, which adversely affected his relationships. Diane tortured herself—always torn between the life that she thought she wanted and the one that her heart craved.

The one minor dislike I had towards the book was in regards to the timeline. There was nothing to alert readers when there was a change from past to present. Occasionally, I would begin reading a paragraph only to find myself confused about when the event took place. It was likely a matter of personal preference, and I eventually adapted to the changes. Beyond that, the book had no other shortcomings to report.

The novel was professionally edited, and I was impressed by how quickly it reeled me in. The decision to award The Drowning Pool a high rating was an easy one; I have chosen to give the book a rating of four out of four stars. Its worthiness was attributed to solid character development and the author’s knack for descriptive writing. I could easily envision myself out on the water with Jago—imagining the melodic sounds of the water splashing against the boat.

Adult readers drawn to stories involving family drama and the sting of unrequited love would enjoy this book. If you are seeking a comprehensive novel that delves deep into the realities of life—the beauty, the horror, and the raw feelings that go hand in hand with being human—this book is for you! Readers who are sensitive to language and sexual content should be discouraged from picking this book up as the author uses profanity liberally throughout the text.

The Drowning Pool
View: on Bookshelves
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

The Drowning Pool seems to be the right story for anybody who loves Cornwall. The mix of family drama and love story in a georgeous countryside setting speak for themselves.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

This sounds like a good enjoyable read. I tend to avoid reading family drama, but if it's written well I don't mind reading it. Thank you for your review :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Wow. This sounds great. Thanks so much for your great review.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Dago seems like a really distraught man. Family drama and unconventional romance is a recipe for captivation and intrigue. Thank you for your in-depth review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Petruschka1 wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 09:07 The Drowning Pool seems to be the right story for anybody who loves Cornwall. The mix of family drama and love story in a georgeous countryside setting speak for themselves.
Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

RHD wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 06:10 Dago seems like a really distraught man. Family drama and unconventional romance is a recipe for captivation and intrigue. Thank you for your in-depth review.
He is definitely an intriguing main character; thanks for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 00:03 Wow. This sounds great. Thanks so much for your great review.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

RayRuff wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 09:58 This sounds like a good enjoyable read. I tend to avoid reading family drama, but if it's written well I don't mind reading it. Thank you for your review :)
Thanks for your thoughtful comment :)
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

This is what I call a review. Good job.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

What should I say? I know some novels of this theme but none as exciting as this, at least as exciting as the review made it. Anyways, I might end up reading it.
abdools
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by abdools »

interesting story, it draws you in, am curious to find out more. good review
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

What a beautiful review! I am not usually drawn to books with family issues but you made it sound so enticing. I might just have to read this one. Thank you for sharing it with us. :D
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

That's a great review! I tend to be drawn quite a bit to family drama and unedited personalities...definitely sounds like a book I'll enjoy reading
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

This story seems realistic, filled with raw human emotions. Thank you for the informative review! I am sure I'm gonna be liking this one!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”