Official Review: A Mother's Journey by Lisa Brodeur

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: A Mother's Journey by Lisa Brodeur

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mother's Journey" by Lisa Brodeur.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is frustrating to have your life altered negatively through no fault of yours. It is even more frustrating when the person in question shows no remorse for their actions. A Mother’s Journey: Through Faith, Hope, And Courage by Lisa Brodeur is a true-life story that tells the story of the struggles of the author and her family, following a tragedy that suddenly changed the course of their lives. This book not only shows readers how important faith, hope, and courage can be in difficult situations but also shows how far a mother is willing to go to ensure that all her children live a comfortable life.

The writer started by taking readers through several events that demonstrated how happy and full of love she and her family were before the tragedy. We then get to read how the unfortunate incident that changed their lives occurred. After that, we read through the series of medical treatments, surgeries, court cases, and sleepless nights she and her children had to endure up until more than seven years later. The author also gives us a peek into their lives, as of 2013, explaining how proud a mother she is towards her children and their accomplishments. The author ends by giving readers some facts and tips about traumatic brain injuries and comas.

I rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars; there is nothing to dislike about it. The first thing I appreciated about this read was the way the author was able to make me feel her pain, employing the first-person point of view in telling her story. I was almost in tears when I read through the series of spasms and surgeries the author's son, Kyle, had to endure. I think the fact that I was able to understand the gravity of the situation is a testament to the author's ability to narrate events effectively. I also liked that there were a lot of lessons to take home from this book. One thing I learned through the book is that it pays to be good. I say this because the author and her children received a lot of support, both morally and otherwise, after the tragedy, and it was a result of how well her husband, Mike, treated others. I also learned the importance of faith and hope, especially in difficult situations.

It was pleasing to see that the author included pictures of her family at various points in the book. The pictures not only made me refreshed but also made me have a clear idea of what the Brodeur family looked like, which, in turn, made me more attached to them. My favorite part of this book was where I read that the author and her children were speakers in a “don’t drink and drive” seminar. After what had happened to them, it was admirable that they engaged in that seminar to educate people on the dangers of drinking and driving to ensure that others don’t get to experience what they did.

Moreover, I commend the author for being as truthful as she could in telling the story. I know that she gave an honest account because she didn’t try to paint her son, Kyle, as a saint. Instead, she tells readers about Kyle’s mischiefs in school. Additionally, it was enlightening to read the tips the author provided about traumatic brain injuries, which she learned from experience. I read an audio copy of the book, and I didn’t notice any errors. As a result, I can say that the book is exceptionally edited. I recommend A Mother’s Journey: Through Faith, Hope, And Courage to readers that are interested in inspirational true-life stories.

A Mother's Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Very nice review, a must read for me. Thank you
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

This is a well-written and insightful review! Well done! I cannot begin to imagine what it must have been like for this family to experience all these obstacles and hardships. I hope readers will take away valuable lessons from their experience. Thanks for the recommendation!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I'm glad that they seem to have recovered from the tragedy and are doing better. Thanks for the wonderful review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I really enjoyed reading your review, as it was very interesting. Might have to give this book a look.
Lennymila
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lennymila »

I hope to read this book, sounds very inspirational.
Jimbojr

Post by Jimbojr »

Thanks for the review!
Sounds like a hard-hitting true life story about a family dealing with a terrible tragedy.
Widrigo
Currently Reading:

Post by Widrigo »

Very moving book. A tear jerker for sure. Kyle paints now & I have bought some of his lovely paintings. His sisters are busy having kids. This book is a true life tragedy & the pain Kyle went through is incredible!
Authentic Voice
Favorite Book: Selling with Presence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authentic-voice.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Authentic Voice »

It sounds like a great inspiring and emotional too. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”