Official Review: The Bark of the Cony by George Nash Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Bark of the Cony by George Nash Smith

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bark of the Cony" by George Nash Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bark of the Cony by George Nash Smith is an inspiring tale of the Smiths, who challenged all expectations as they explored the beautiful sights of wild America. The story followed the Smiths as they scaled the mountains, reached for the peaks, and discovered that the mountains are never too high or the journey too weary. A determined spirit was all that was needed for the journey, and the rewards of courage were endless if only we dared to take a bold step.

This book is a beautiful tale of the strength that comes from a place of determination. Despite George's early childhood accident, he gets to explore life to the fullest, shining the light for his sons to follow in his footsteps. Mountaineering is one of those sports that you have to be an intimate part of to enjoy. However, George brings it home to us with his colorful narrative and inspiring pictures. His tale is an eye-opener; it leaves the reader with the desire to climb the nearest mountain and explore the wonders of nature.

I enjoyed reading this book, especially with the visual aid. I couldn't help but gasp in awe at the snow-capped mountains and beautiful rock formations. This book presented mountain climbing to be a lot of fun. Of course, there would be challenges along the way, just like the Smiths encountered. However, as George said on page 88, "keep going. Some of the best memories come from adverse conditions."

This book was professionally edited, with very few clear-cut errors. The font style was easy on the eyes, and the author's conversational style made me a part of the narrative. The book's colorful pictures were also a great help, and there were detailed explanations of mountain features and various climbing techniques. At the end of each chapter, there were inspiring quotes from the author and, sometimes, beautifully written poems.

On the negative, I think the number of pictures this book contains is a tad too much. Some chapters have more pages containing photographs than text. As much as I appreciate the images, they are overdone. This is a minor issue, though. Hence, I won't reduce the rating of this book because of it. However, if there's going to be an updated version, I recommend the author reduce the number of images.

I would recommend this book to those who appreciate the aesthetics of nature and love mountain climbing. Finally, I would give this book a 4 out of 4, as there was nothing I intensely disliked about the book.

The Bark of the Cony
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I'm not into mountain climbing, but the author sure makes it sound like a fun adventure, despite the many challenges you are sure to encounter along the way. These will surely help you grow as a person. I also love that we get to see pictures, even though they're a tad too much. Thanks for the excellent review!
Muri_Kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Muri_Kay »

The author taught us how to approach life in a positive way not letting what happened to us affect our entire life negatively. The most important thing in life is how we react to the traumatic accidents that happen to us. Our determination, perseverance, attitude and the way we see life from different perspectives, make us grow as a person as well as people around us too, enabling us living a life to the fullest and finally, help us overcome our limitations. I surely recommend this book.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I love the mountains. There is both a challenge and peacefulness in climbing. I think this book sounds like one I would enjoy reading, not only for the message, but for the pictures as well. It is inspirational to see people move beyond the trauma they might have in life and grow and persevere. Thanks for the review.
Abdizoh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdizoh »

I have never gone to mountain climbing but the author makes it and interesting
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Sounds like a good book to read. Although you didn't like the pictures I can't help but love a book full of them. Well done on a great review.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I've never gone mountain climbing before but it's something I'm interested in. This book seems like it will paint the perfect picture of what life is like for mountaineers. Thanks for this review! I cannot wait to read this book.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

Mountains teach us alot about life, how to handle challenges and oveecome them. Sounds like an interesting book though.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I read a book about mountain climbing a couple of years ago and enjoyed it immensely. From the excellent review, this book sounds very appealing. I am going to check it out.
Abdizoh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdizoh »

I have never gone to mountain climbing but this book makes it fun and unteresting
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I love that this book could help guide one through tough times. I'm sure alot of people will find it uplifting. Thank you for an amazing review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

You love adventures and the challenges that come with it, then you should check out this book. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”