Official Review: A Contemplative Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: A Contemplative Life

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Contemplative Life" by Charles F Harrington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Contemplative Life by Charles F. Harrington is an entertaining memoir about the author’s reflections on pivotal moments in his life. He shares what it was like to grow up with four older brothers and four younger sisters in the suburbs of Massachusetts. He got married in his early thirties, raised three children, and divorced after twenty-five years. Harrington is a talented story-teller and writes about his childhood, romances, addiction, and losses to inspire readers to learn from his experiences.

Now in his sixties, Harrington writes about the different qualities of his family and friends that he admires. His mother taught him that difficulties in life are stepping stones to greater fulfillment. He explains that our greatest achievements have come when we allow ourselves to get through those uncomfortable times. “When you think life is getting the better of you, remember,…remember how much you’ve faced and overcome in the past.”

It was interesting to read about his comparison of our current education system, government, and media outlets to what he grew up with. Through personal stories, he shares how important his Catholic faith is, but does not force his beliefs. He has strong opinions, and also respects that readers will have their own perspectives on similar issues. His friendly tone is similar to having a conversation with a good friend over disagreements and learning from each other’s points of view.

Harrington shares many stories where he nearly faces death to emphasize that every day is not guaranteed. It is important to live with peace no matter what challenges you may face. As a baby-boomer, he empathizes with readers who are growing up in the current conditions of our society, “What we do have is selfishness, greed, violence, anger, rampant materialism, incredibly exaggerated sense of entitlement, envy and jealousy of success.” Throughout the book, he explains how to have a positive perspective so that readers can obtain this knowledge earlier than he did.

What I liked most about this book is that for every stage in his life, he includes personal letters, photographs, and poems that make his stories come alive. Readers can relate to his experiences and reflect on what he learned from them. I also appreciate his parenting tips to raise successful, bright, and compassionate young adults. There was nothing that I disliked about this book. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 because there are a few grammar errors and typos. I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading about lessons learned through personal experiences. I will rate this book a 4 out of 4 if those few errors are corrected. I do not recommend this book to readers who are not interested in learning from coming of age stories. This book leaves you feeling inspired to find happiness in everything you experience.

A Contemplative Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I appreciate the author's effort to teach the life lessons he learned along the way. However, I am not a huge fan of memoirs, so I will probably skip this one.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The comparison between the current systems and what he grew up with is interesting. Sharing his letters, photos, and poetry is a nice way to back this up. Thanks for the insights.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I am not one to often read memoirs but this one does sound promising once it has corrected all the errors.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”