Review by amrinzaeda -- One If by Carol B Allen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by amrinzaeda -- One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One If" by Carol B Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On track to become a young scientist, Parker is the first senior in her high school to get accepted into Johns Hopkins. However, her plans stop short when a small hummingbird starts visiting her window every day like clockwork. When curiosity gets the best of her, Parker becomes determined to unveil its message or purpose. Following the bird out onto her terrace and reaching over the rail of her 18-story high apartment, Parker loses balance and plunges straight down.

Fortunately, instead of meeting her end, Parker awakens untouched and intact in a different world called Spyridon. On this planet inhabited by evolved birds and sea monsters, the ill-effects of climate change and war continue to intensify. Three teenagers are tasked with solving these problems: introverted Parker, irritable Henley, and level-headed Edison. This is One If by Carol B Allen, a fantasy adventure book.

I admire the author's efforts to teach young readers about the extreme and destructive effects that climate change can have when ignored. Putting a spotlight on the hardships inflicted on the vulnerable, a parallel to how climate change impacts underdeveloped nations on our planet, is an important lesson. This knowledge may broaden the perspective of young minds, making them more motivated to tackle this issue. She also emphasized the significance of a single individual in combating its effects, inspiring readers to do their part.

I also liked how whimsical and imaginative the book was. The flying sessions, talking birds, and jelly-portals will certainly keep young readers entertained. The author's writing felt very detailed and rich. I often felt like she was painting a vibrant picture right in my mind. I appreciate that she put a lot of thought into building this world and its culture and traditions. There are were little nuggets of science sprinkled through the book as well, but it was well-written and accessible for anyone to read.

One thing I didn't like about the book was that the exposition seemed long and drawn-out. It felt like the details about the world were all dumped at the beginning, which prevented us from jumping into the action. I think it would be a more enjoyable read if these same details were woven throughout the book instead. Additionally, I hoped for more character development between the three teenagers. By the end of the book, I didn't feel like I knew the characters, nor did it feel like they knew each other. Since Parker seemed to tour around the planet most of the time, there was little interaction between her and the other two to allow them to form a bond.

Although I hoped for more in terms of the plot and characters, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. It still has a lot of fantasy elements that can entertain a young audience, and its root messages have the power to inspire and kindle passion. The book seems professionally edited as I did not detect any serious errors. I recommend this book to imaginative young readers and fantasy lovers. I sincerely hope its messages are spread far and engrained in young minds to shape a better tomorrow.

One If
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

The negative effects of climate change cannot be overemphasized. I'm enthusiastic since this was explored here.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for the great review. I will be on the lookout for this book.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like an interesting read, and I like the message about the climate change. And I definitely love the hummingbirds :). Thank you for this interesting review!
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I think I would enjoy the fantasy part of this book. I usually prefer books to have strong character development, so I may have a hard time with that, since it seems to be lacking in this book.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a detailed review. This issue with the characters isn't a good one for me because that's what I enjoy in a book.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

At a glance I thought that this is a book of poetry. But I read your lovely review and understood that it is a nice fantasy adventure. Thank you
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I wonder if she went back to John Hopkins. Great storyline and I must say iy could be more interesting if there were more to see and read
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if this works well as an exploration of the impact of climate change through fiction. Thank you for a very insightful review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like an interesting book even if it takes a little while to get where it is going. Great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author uses an interesting premise of fantasy to promote the effects of climate change. I wonder, too, if the author closes the circle on what happened to Parker? Did she ever come back to finish her studies? Thanks for your analysis of this book!
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Your summary of the book makes me want to read it. It captured my attention.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”