Review by Koyna -- The Narrow Gate by John Servant

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Koyna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koyna.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Koyna -- The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by Koyna »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Narrow Gate" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Senator Joe Jay went through a big scandal and had to resign. Joe Jay is hospitalized and near death. John Kelly, an award-winning reporter was given the task to write about Joe Jay. In his mind, Joe was a "has-been", and his story didn’t have much to offer. However, upon entering the hospital room he saw an old nun in a black habit, kneeling on the floor, and praying to the rosary. His Irish intuition told him that there was more merit in the story than he anticipated.

“Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.” The Narrow Gates by John Servant expresses this message in the most impactful and emotionally engaging way. For most of the story, my feelings fluctuated from sadness to complete hopelessness. Towards the end, the cold, dark clouds of my feelings parted and brought in warm sunshine and satisfaction.

Sister Francis' character is almost angel-like. She questions herself if she had somehow failed Joe as a teacher? This dilemma is quite valid. If a person does wrong, who is to blame? Is it only that person or do parents and teachers also share the blame? Additionally, she is the only one standing beside Joe during the scandal. She was also the one who guided Joe through the narrow gates. So who is the real saint – Joe who transforms and helps people, or Sister Francis who taught him how to be a better person.

There were some conversations between Sister Francis and John – which at times appeared preachy. These learnings were, however, amply demonstrated and reinforced through the life story of Joe.

I will rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It is a beautifully weaved story. It is short, only 124 pages, yet brought out a powerful message of atonement. Moreover, it was a clean read. The book did not feature any explicit sexual or offensive language. There were a few mentions of romantic interest and death, and these enriched the story.

I would encourage young adults to read this book. Using the medium of the story, the author has discussed the consequences of being too ambitious, and yet how every mistake can be forgiven if we start walking on the right path. It is an inspirational Christian and catholic contemporary literary fiction. I feel people inclined towards religion, especially Christianity, would deeply connect with the book.

The Narrow Gate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Facing death makes one reflect on their life. I loved the quote you included in your review. This is a short book with powerful emotional writing. I enjoyed your compelling review!! Great writing.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I enjoyed reading your review. Good job!
Koyna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koyna.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Koyna »

Vivdija wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 11:24 I enjoyed reading your review. Good job!
I'm glad you liked it. :D
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review. So insightful and honest.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”