Official Review: The Deadly Five by Raymond Maher

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Official Review: The Deadly Five by Raymond Maher

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Deadly Five" by Raymond Maher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mean Mike, the eldest among many siblings, a bully in nature and he is Blacksmith in trade. Nothing Brown, a small built fellow (it was the reason for his nick name), is a Quaker. Old Man Magee is an old drunkard who is clever in playing instruments and singing. Seph is a former bartender. Jacque is a fellow of a mixed breed, who is an experienced trader. Though these fellows had many differences, they had one thing in common; the desire to seek for gold. So they join the gold hunt in the Fraser Canyon. Despite that gold is limited, the number of the gold seekers and their greed is unlimited. Along with all the other greedy gold seekers, will this group have a journey like eating a pie or like a journey through the hell?

The Deadly Five by Raymond Maher is a historical fiction woven around the famous event of the Fraser Canyon gold rush, which occurred in the late 1850s. Since my copy came as a Kindle version, I could not get an exact page count. But it is not a very lengthy read and it is divided into 36 short chapters. The story is told in the first person narrative, mostly by Nothing Brown and at some places by the rest of the group. The author has been kind enough to give the reader an insight regarding the historical content by including an introduction at the very beginning of the book. There are noteworthy points that I liked as well as disliked about this book. I will list them down, starting with the good ones.

The entire book is written in spoken language. This is reasonable since the story is being told by one of the group members. This makes the book simpler as well as an easy read. The author has adopted to this narrative style very well, and he has kept the descriptions in a very plain manner. It would have been unrealistic if a narration included abundant background details as in a written description. But the author has included enough details to keep the adventurous quality of the book. Most of the points in the story are rationalized, for an example like how the group met each other in their journey in various occasions and situations. And also he has not attempted to push action into the story by force, but has allowed action to be a part of the flow. All the abusive words, fights and killings felt like that they were necessary in those occasions. The book was professionally edited, and I found only two errors through the whole read.

There are few aspects that I did not like about the book. The details felt like lacking when it came to action. The fights, hunts and the killings were too quick and too plain. The author could have added more salt to those scenes. Maybe he might have tried to show the nature of the narrator through that as well, since the main speaker was a Quaker who was not very fond of harming others. But the reader could feel the action more if it was more descriptive. The book lost its pace towards the end of the book. On the latter parts the author has given more attention to the religious matters of Nothing Brown, which was enough for me to lose interest by a bit. But I won’t say that I struggled to finish the book.

Having said all the above. I would like to rate this with 3 out of 4 stars. The reduction of a star is for the points that I disliked about the book. I would like to recommend this book to the lovers of historical fiction and the adventure lovers. But for the ones who prefer extreme action, as well as who despise blood and gore, it is better to avoid this book since it is not in either of the extremities of having extreme action or having no action at all. There is no sexually explicit content though there is some mentioning related to prostitution and sexually related content. Anyway, it is best suited for a mature audience.

The Deadly Five
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Great job! It reminds me of a western movie, and I would like to discover what the Deadly Five are up to. Thank you for your recommendation!
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

raluca_mihaila wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 03:08 Great job! It reminds me of a western movie, and I would like to discover what the Deadly Five are up to. Thank you for your recommendation!
Yes, ofcourse. It will remind you of a classic western movie. Thanks for reading and commenting 👍👍
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I like books based on the wild west and gold rush. Looks like one I need to check out. Thanks for the great review.
Sushan Ekanayake

Slater678 wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 05:15 I like books based on the wild west and gold rush. Looks like one I need to check out. Thanks for the great review.
Go on an try it. i guarantee that you may not regret. Thanks for the kind appreciation
nikechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by nikechi »

I like how the names of the characters are related to their personalities
Thank you for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace reign in the chaos :reading-4:
Sushan Ekanayake

nikechi wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 11:44 I like how the names of the characters are related to their personalities
Thank you for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Yes, they have got matching nicknames. Thanks for the encouraging words
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I love the storyline. It sounds like it'd be a fun read, and your review was great. Thanks for it.
Sushan Ekanayake

Nmesoma wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 02:38 I love the storyline. It sounds like it'd be a fun read, and your review was great. Thanks for it.
Yes, it is a sort of an interesting read. Thanks for the kind admiration
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The plot of this book doesn't really capture my interest. Great review, though!
Sushan Ekanayake

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 14:21 The plot of this book doesn't really capture my interest. Great review, though!
This is not a book for all. I am glad that my review was useful for you. Thanks for the kind comment
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I am beginning to love historical fiction books because of the lessons that come through them. Thanks for this amazing review and recommendation.
Sushan Ekanayake

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 01:33 I am beginning to love historical fiction books because of the lessons that come through them. Thanks for this amazing review and recommendation.
Yes, many of them give a good knowledge regarding historical events. Thanks for stopping by
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

This one sounds like an interesting read with historical as well as adventurous details. Thanks for the nice review
Sushan Ekanayake

OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 09:14 This one sounds like an interesting read with historical as well as adventurous details. Thanks for the nice review
Yes it is an interesting read. Thanks for the kind admiration

Return to “Historical Fiction”