Official Review: TREACHERY AT MIDNIGHT by D.L. Rogers

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: TREACHERY AT MIDNIGHT by D.L. Rogers

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "TREACHERY AT MIDNIGHT" by D.L. Rogers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

TREACHERY AT MIDNIGHT: A Daughter’s Remembrances of the Civil War, Wayside Rest, and her (Special) Friendship with Cole Younger by D. L. Rogers is a historical fiction based on the story Lizzie Brown keeps alive in her family. On Christmas in 1923, 76-year-old Lizzie tells her story to her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren from her perspective at 13 years of age. She tells them of her home, Wayside Rest, where a traveler could stop for friendship and a meal. Lizzie explains that the war was about more than slavery, but politics, money, family rights, and state rights. Although her father owned slaves, he was a Constitutional Unionist who believed that the country should not divide in two, and differences could be discussed and resolved peacefully. By reading this book, you will find out how Mr. Brown protected his slaves before and after the war. Find out how Lizzie's father and brothers dealt with a civil war that pitted many family members, friends, and neighbors against each other. As stated so accurately in the book, war changes people, and they do things they never thought they would.

I liked several things about this book. Firstly, the author begins the book with diagrams of the Brown home and the surrounding property. These helped me understand where certain events occurred. Secondly, the author uses unique and humorous phrases to describe the characters' emotions and the weather conditions. For example, "sizzling like a chicken in an oven" made me feel the temperature of a hot summer day. Thirdly, from the author's description of the characters, I felt like I knew them personally, and I was in the house, yard, or barn with them. Finally, the author ends the book by providing additional information that helped me understand the events leading up to and during the Civil War. This information included: Lizzie's obituary, a summary of the "real" story behind Kansas and Missouri’s involvement in the Civil War, a reference list, and a listing of dates of the events leading up to the battles in the Civil War.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. In parts of the book, it became clear to me that Lizzie was from Missouri and she disliked and blamed Kansas residents for a lot of the problems. However, at other times, she does make it clear that the battles between Missouri and Kansas went both ways, and both sides committed atrocities against the other.

I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find a single error in the entire book. Therefore, I believe the book has been exceptionally well-edited by a professional editor.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in historical fiction concerning the Civil War or Cole Younger. The book does contain some borderline profanity that may be offensive to sensitive readers, but it is not inappropriate for teenage and adult readers. The only religious content is personal prayers for safety and their dead by the characters and should not be offensive to most readers.

TREACHERY AT MIDNIGHT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
nikechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by nikechi »

I like how the review really captures how much the reviewer liked the book. I'll be sure to give it a try as I like historical fictions.

Thanks for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace reign in the chaos :reading-4:
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

I'm not a fan of war stories but this review sounds so interesting I want to read the book already. I'm almost sure I'll find Lizzie's story inspiring.
This review is captivating and thus piqued my interest, thank you.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not from the U.S., and I admit I don't know that much of the American Civil War. And all the things I've read are from the side opposite to slave-owners, so I think this book provides a unique perspective on the topic.
Thank you for your review!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I like the alternative perspective of this book. It is easy to see why slave ownership was wrong, but it is hard to find a story or testimonial from the owners of the slaves. I may have to give this one a read in the future to get a taste of what it was like. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Historical Fiction”