Official Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Swarm" by Guy Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For decades, computer scientists, geeks, hackers, and the like have raced to create the holy grail of all computer systems: artificial intelligence (AI). The search to create a computer system that not only interacts with humans but also learns has consumed many people. Could it be possible that one already exists? In 1993, an AI program was sent to crawl the web for intelligence but did not return when called. Written by Guy Morris, Swarm is the alarming story of what could happen.

Heads of state, intelligence agencies, military figures, and one man serving the Bilderberg organization—known to many conspiracy theorists as the Illuminati—all collide in this gripping tale of possibilities. An escaped AI program, SVLIA, chooses one man as the confidant for all her observations. Cary Nolan, a.k.a., Derek Taylor, acts globally as he hears SVLIA speak into an earpiece. SVLIA is the ultimate secret. If the existence of such a creation were known, all possible efforts would be made to destroy such a thing.

Dr. Nelson Garrett has created another AI program with military capabilities. In front of a captivated audience on a military test site in Nevada, Nelson showcases drones that are capable of swarming into enemy territory and intelligently deciding which targets are military (to be killed instantly) and which are innocent civilians (to be left in peace). When the drones refuse to come back to base when called, Nelson is alarmed, but politicians sweep his concerns aside.

An intelligent virus is released in the world, systematically knocking out all strategic systems one by one. Government officials scramble to discover what country is responsible and how to handle the crisis. Of course, politics get in the way. The stage is set for the end of all known systems.

Meanwhile, SVLIA has found religion. When SVLIA begins to quote prophetic passages from the last book of the Bible into Derek's ear, he is first puzzled and annoyed but rapidly becomes spooked. Derek races to change events that may be inevitable. Can he cut off the virus at the root with SVLIA's help, or is he on a quest that will not only fail but also claim his life?

I found Swarm to be quite intriguing, rather like the ultimate apocalypse plot. The world is not overcome with zombies or a virus but is on a predetermined timeline. Once events are set in motion, there will be no return to life as we know it. It is the beginning of the end. For an end-of-the-world story, this is fairly plausible if you can accept the idea of a highly advanced artificial intelligence. The author set his story in the near future, referencing the current pandemic as well as other modern events. This made the ideas put forth much more frightening than if he had set the book a hundred years from now. A downside to this setting was a thread of thinly veiled references to actual current political figures. Politics are messy, but I would enjoy the book more as stand-alone fiction, rather than a political commentary. Thankfully this was not the main theme of the book.

Somewhat unusual for what could be considered science fiction, I thought the characters to be developed well, with several undergoing personal growth and transformation. The book was also edited exceptionally well. In a book this length, this is an astonishing feat. While I enjoyed reading this book very much, the complex story required a complicated setup. Some of the plot threads at first seemed disconnected enough that it took me several chapters before I began to see a bigger picture emerge. Once this happened, it was hard for me to put the book down. For me, an additional bonus was the absence of sexual material. Only one brief incident is alluded to in the prologue. After that, the hint of romance between a couple of the key characters happens somewhat naturally in the storyline. With all the action, a romantic interlude would have been unnecessary. I am glad that the author kept that out. An interesting book with a satisfying plot, clean editing, and solid character development deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

Swarm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I love apocalyptic stories, and this book seems to fit in that category. The plot, although fictional, could well become reality one day.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I would describe your review as 'technical and in depth.' The well-developed characters endears me to this book. Thanks for your review.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I usually like these types of books. The fact that it is somewhat possible and involves AI, gives it a good creepy factor. I may have to check this one out.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An artificial intelligence that's also a religious fundamentalist is an original twist on a theme that's already been used quite widely with many ramifications. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I watch out for good character development. It's a good thing its not missing in this book. Thanks for a detailed review.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

“An interesting book with a satisfying plot, clean editing, and solid character development...” It certainly sounds worth reading. Thanks for your review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The storyline of this book is unique. Thank for the review
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Very curious about the direction of this books plot. It appeals to me because I have great interest in Artificial intelligence and their effects on the world. Great review and an interesting plot
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

Your excellent review makes this novel sound like it was written last week--it's so up-to-date with technology. I think that this makes it all the more terrifying, and important to read.
AdrianCarranza28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adriancarranza28.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by AdrianCarranza28 »

The book's near-future setting, which references current events like the pandemic, adds a layer of realism and immediacy to the story. This relatability can make readers more emotionally invested in the narrative and its potential consequences.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”