Official Review: Where the Wings Grow by Irv Broughton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Official Review: Where the Wings Grow by Irv Broughton

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where the Wings Grow" by Irv Broughton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can you imagine that feeling of freedom when floating above the clouds watching the marvelous sunshine reflecting from the white puffy clouds that look like cotton candy? Or the strength of g-powers pushing you to the back of your seat while performing loops in the air? Or feeling the agony when facing a mighty thunderstorm and having no choice but to land on a bumpy cornfield? The truth is, I have never done anything other than attended flights in big passenger planes, and I seriously doubt that I was ever up for more. Where the Wings Grow by Irv Broughton tells the stories of different kinds of women. Regardless of my cautious personality, this book allowed me to skydive headfirst into the aviation world together with this fabulous bunch of ladies.

Where the Wings Grow is a collection of interviews about pioneering women in aviation. The life stories of these strong-willed, courageous, kind women are nothing less than inspiring. Over the decades, the author has interviewed 29 women, such as pioneering barnstormer Dorothy Hester Stenzel or air racer Fran Bera. Not to forget Emily Howell Warner, who was the first female airline pilot in the U.S. The author places the questions and lets the women do the talking. We get to hear how they first got into flying and how they became professionals. These stories are stories of determination, astonishing survival, hilarious coincidences and, much more. Several of these women have also been the earlier members of The Ninety-Nines, which today operates as an international organization for women pilots.

This book’s value in documenting aviation history is undoubtedly priceless. However, my favorite feature of Where the Wings Grow lies elsewhere. I was utterly amazed by the interviewing skills of the author. Somehow he managed to be encouraging and witty at once. He would place his questions, step back and let the personalities of these adorable women shine. Many of these ladies had a fabulous sense of humor, which made the stories fun to read. Every woman had their own intriguing story to tell. One of my favorites was Ellen Paneok, who had some incredible experiences of bush piloting in Alaska. One time she had to perform a forced landing, and as a result, she found herself sitting knee-deep in swamp water surrounded by clouds of bloodthirsty mosquitos. Her storytelling was so smooth that I couldn’t help but laugh!

I have only one complaint referring to Where the Wings Grow. Since I was not familiar with aviation history, I had to build the whole picture by picking bits and pieces of information from here and there while reading the interviews. I would have hoped for a summary of the main facts of aviation history. With its 576 pages, this book was as thick as a brick. I realize a summary would have added even more to its length. However, I did not once feel that there were too many pages. Quite the opposite, I enjoyed every bit of it and was slightly disappointed to reach the end.

I am happy to reward this book with a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would have really wanted to grant a full score. However, I was obliged to deduct one star due to the vast amount of unfortunate small typos. Even so, these mistakes did not affect my enjoyment of reading in any way. Irv Broughton did a splendid job in putting these stories together. This book honors the life work of the pioneering women in aviation history. It also proves that any dream can come true with a certain amount of willpower and a pioneering spirit.

If you are interested in aviation history, this book is for you! Also, everyone who enjoys biographies might find this book likable. Do jump into the plane and accompany these amazing flying women in making loops and enjoy the feeling of freedom while flying towards the sunset!

Where the Wings Grow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a marvelous book! I would love to check out these stories. I went to college with a few women who became pilots, and I’ve often wondered what their experiences were like. Thank you for your recommendation. Great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I admire these women so much as I prefer to have my feet on the ground or on a passenger plane with someone with lots of experience piloting it. Thanks for your excellent review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It sounds like the interviewer was very skilled in eliciting the true personality of each of these pioneers of aviation. Personally, I've never had the desire to become a pilot (I don't even like rollercoasters), but I admire the women who are brave enough to pursue the career. I enjoyed reading your review; thanks!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This seems to be an intriguing book. I must applaud these strong women because personally, I'm afraid of heights. Thanks for a detailed review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

MsH2k wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 02:10 This sounds like a marvelous book! I would love to check out these stories. I went to college with a few women who became pilots, and I’ve often wondered what their experiences were like. Thank you for your recommendation. Great review!
These women and their stories really were amazing! Thank you for reading and thanks also for your kind words :tiphat:
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 11:16 I admire these women so much as I prefer to have my feet on the ground or on a passenger plane with someone with lots of experience piloting it. Thanks for your excellent review!
They really are a brave bunch of women :) thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Kelyn wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 14:06 It sounds like the interviewer was very skilled in eliciting the true personality of each of these pioneers of aviation. Personally, I've never had the desire to become a pilot (I don't even like rollercoasters), but I admire the women who are brave enough to pursue the career. I enjoyed reading your review; thanks!
To be honest, I did not know what to expect when I started reading this book. I found out very fast that the author knew what he was doing, and reading was a delightful experience. I can’t imagine myself becoming a pilot either :lol:

Thanks for your kind words!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 23:49 This seems to be an intriguing book. I must applaud these strong women because personally, I'm afraid of heights. Thanks for a detailed review.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Kirsi
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This book about pioneering women in aviation sounds like such an inspiring and interesting read. Your review was very beautiful and vivid. Thank you for such amazing work!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm with you in that I'd never be able to do those things. These do sound like very inspirational women though, and I enjoyed your review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

SamaylaM wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 08:12 This book about pioneering women in aviation sounds like such an inspiring and interesting read. Your review was very beautiful and vivid. Thank you for such amazing work!
Thank you for your encouraging words! :tiphat:
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 10:25 I'm with you in that I'd never be able to do those things. These do sound like very inspirational women though, and I enjoyed your review.
These women truly were inspirational! They prove that anything is possible, down on the earth or up in the sky, if you just have enough passion to go for your dreams. That is something all of us could learn! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Kirsi
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am a bit interested in aviation, so I'd probably want to give this book a try. I like how captivating your review is! It's a shame that what an otherwise incredible biography is only rated 3 out of 4 stars just because of the many small typos that it contains.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

These women definitely made history! The topic interests me, but over 500 pages might be a bit too much for me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”