Official Review: Angels Watching Over Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Official Review: Angels Watching Over Me

Post by Adanna Inya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Angels Watching Over Me" by Pam Ware & Linda Dipman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Angels Watching Over Me by Pam Ware & Linda Dipman is a memoir that details unique times in the lives of both women. Pam Ware was born to a couple that didn’t know the first thing about parenting. They rather cared about how much money they made, how much entertainment they enjoyed, and how good they looked. She also had a schizophrenic sister who made her life a living hell. Pam practically raised herself with only her grandfather as a support system. She moved out of her parents’ home, discovered that she was a lesbian, walked out of her marriage, found God, her life took a crazy turn, and Linda showed up.

Linda Dipman was born to great Christian parents and lived a sheltered life. She got married as a Christian to a man who shared the same faith. Later in her life, she realized that she loved women romantically and embraced her truth. This resulted in persecution, such as losing her kids, going to jail, and even getting run out of town. Linda studied to know God for herself, and this opened her eyes to the truth of His words. Will she keep the faith and not be weary? Will she ever see her children again? How did Pam and Linda’s love story start? What does God say about homosexuals? Find the answers to these questions in the book, Angels Watching Over Me.

I’ll start by saying that this memoir is both controversial and thought-provoking. It challenged almost everything that I thought about the bible; I had to make some research while reading this book. I also unlearned and re-learned a lot of things because this memoir approached homosexuality from a personal perspective. I loved that the authors were remarkably honest in telling their stories, making me feel the rawness of it all. This work touched on topics like adultery, heartbreak, betrayal, end-of-life care, grace, fanaticism, and the onset of HIV/AIDS. Their journey through life, until this point, is worth documenting.

I have a profound respect for Pam and Linda because of their thoughtfulness, boldness, resilience, godly ideals, and outlook towards life. Pam, for instance, had so much going on in her life, from being the CEO of one of the best hospices in Colorado to flipping houses, floating other businesses, loving Linda, and having a relationship with God. Through these compartments of her life, Pam could show integrity, selflessness, empathy, patience, sound business acumen, and the same goes for Linda. Their unique qualities helped them stand out even in the worst situations.

This book has nine parts and thirty-four chapters, but it was an interesting read. I loved the simple writing style of the authors, even though Linda Dipman narrated most of the story. I loved that references backed the statements made, which offered me more reading materials. I may not agree with everything that I read in this book, but the absence of judgment or aggression gave me some room for reflection. Is homosexuality not a sin as stated by the authors? What was the true reason for destroying Sodom and Gomorrah? What differentiates the law of Moses from that of Jesus Christ? I had tons of questions on my mind and got different answers from many sources.

Angels Watching Over Me was professionally edited, and there was nothing that I disliked, so I rate it four out of four stars. I recommend this book to Christians who are open-minded enough to take a second look at homosexuality from a unique perspective.

Angels Watching Over Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clancy193
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy193.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Clancy193 »

I'd really want to read more on this book, when you said your unlearned and relearned some things it sort of captured my interest. Nice review!
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Great review! Both of these women have gone through a lot in their lives. I'm definitely interested in reading their story.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a well written novel, with a lot of lessons. Great review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The lives of these two women sound quite eventfull. Wow, thanks for this honest review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I'm already feeling for Linda Dipman. This seems to be a motivational read, with emotions, that whigh will help to build ones faith in God. I love your review, kudos!
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Sounds like a great book with valuable lessons for life. Thanks for the fantastic and eye-opening review! :)
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Ah. I think some Christians will find some things in this book somewhat conflicting. So I think your recommendation is spot on. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Saint Bruno wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 12:49 Ah. I think some Christians will find some things in this book somewhat conflicting. So I think your recommendation is spot on. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 20:38 Sounds like a great book with valuable lessons for life. Thanks for the fantastic and eye-opening review! :)
Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 16:20 I'm already feeling for Linda Dipman. This seems to be a motivational read, with emotions, that whigh will help to build ones faith in God. I love your review, kudos!
Elvis Best wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 10:33 The lives of these two women sound quite eventfull. Wow, thanks for this honest review.
raluca_mihaila wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 04:04 It seems like a well written novel, with a lot of lessons. Great review!
AtienoMagero wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:59 Great review! Both of these women have gone through a lot in their lives. I'm definitely interested in reading their story.
Clancy193 wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 18:35 I'd really want to read more on this book, when you said your unlearned and relearned some things it sort of captured my interest. Nice review!
Yes guys, this is indeed an interesting book. Thank you for commenting.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow, this book sounds like a very unorthodox read that even can shock some readers! :) I would definitely give it a try. Thanks for a great and a very intriguing review!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Such a controversial topic the author has put up there; the views of Christianity on homosexuality. I'd be like to see through this from the author's point of view. Thanks for the review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

This is definitely a must read for me. I’m very conflicted whenever it comes to homosexuality and Christianity. The one thing I know for sure is that no one should be judged for their choices whether or not considered sinful.

I’m very open to reading this book and i’m super grateful for such a detailed and insightful review!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

It sounds like this book is a real eye-opener when it comes to understanding and conflict of values. With difficult topics like adultery, heartbreak, betrayal, end-of-life care, grace, fanaticism, and the onset of HIV/AIDS, this one is sure to be both controversial and informative.
CJJENA
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by CJJENA »

The authors provide heartbreaking backstories that shaped their lives and career paths.This story is a great reminder to have hope and faith. I will be so happy and motivated to read this book, thank you for bringing this book to my looks. Congrats for BOTD
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting non-fiction memoir highlighting religion, poor judgement, finding one`s own truth, closeted Christianity, and finding love. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @LDipman on the BOTD selection.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”