Official Review: Memories of a brain doctor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Official Review: Memories of a brain doctor

Post by Tayejim1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memories of a brain doctor" by Abraham Lieberman MD. NYU Bellevue 196.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you love to receive first-hand information about historical figures from a credible source? If yes, please pick up a copy of Memories of a Brain Doctor by Dr. Abraham Lieberman. I would describe this book as an eye-opener.

Dr. Lieberman is a neurologist who was a professor at the University of New York and later at the University of Miami. He has treated notable persons and is also an expert on Adolf Hitler's Parkinson's disease. I learned some useful bit of valuable information about polio. This book opens with some background information on Dr. Lieberman's ancestry. This is immediately followed by accounts of major events in history that are concerned with governance in Russia and Germany. These events cascaded into world war one. I loved the detailed information on Parkinson's disease in Muhammad Ali, Adolf Hitler, and Harry Helmsey.

Dr. Lieberman also gets to examine sociopaths, psychopaths, and murderers in an effort to uncover why killers kill. Have you ever wondered why Adolf Hitler is as inflexible and psychotic as he was? Would you love to know what happened when the Queen of Means met with the Queen of Saudi Arabia? Dr. Lieberman provides some valuable information on these subjects.

At first, I thought this was going to be another medical textbook with difficult words. I was wrong. Dr. Lieberman was able to explain complex ideas in simple sentences. Its unique blend of history with medicine is tasteful. Therefore, I was not bored while reading. This book references credible books and researches. The facts in this book are gathered from years of study and experience.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It lost a star due to the presence of typographical and grammatical errors. These errors are in the form of missing punctuation marks and inappropriate use of spaces and capital letters. Not surprisingly, this is the only thing I dislike about this book.

Dr. Lieberman's book is a fountain of knowledge. There were numerous things I learned for the first time. One of these is about a progressive disease that leads to a gait disorder characterized by suddenly being unable to move, becoming frozen like a statue. I had seen this in a movie titled Rango, but I had no idea that this condition existed in the real world. Dr. Lieberman discussed it at length. Lovers of history and medicine would find this book to be appealing.

Memories of a brain doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I bet this a good read. Too bad the errors distracted you. At least, one gets to learn something new and exciting. Thanks for the review!
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:

Post by Tayejim1 »

RHD wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 09:48 I bet this a good read. Too bad the errors distracted you. At least, one gets to learn something new and exciting. Thanks for the review!
Yes it is. There is no shortage of valuable information in the book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m excited about the nature and diction of this entire book. It holds so much wealth of history and dynamic memories and at the same time is very easy to break into.

Thank you for an insightful review.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:

Post by Tayejim1 »

You're so right Pearl Akpan. There's so much to gain from this book.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for the helpful review! Bravo!

Today's BOTD is one that fans of history and medicine will thoroughly enjoy. Based on extensive research and the author's personal findings, readers will learn about the past while soaking up valuable information about specific human conditions and behaviors. Sounds like a great read! Thanks, again!
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow&rsquo;s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

WOW! This sounds like a very knowledgeable author who has written an informative book about medical conditions and some historical facts about famous and infamous people! Your great review eludes that it is also written in layman's terms so as not to overwhelm the average reader with no medical background! Thanks for the recommendation!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting nonfiction educational book highlighting brain chemistry, Parkinson`s, paralysis, Psychosis, and others in relation to historical figures. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Well, the book by Dr. Lieberman, M.D. in neurology who treated famous personalities and well-known personalities, narrated historical medical cases in regards to Parkinson's disease, the significant medical details of this disease in Muhammad Ali, Adolf Hitler, and Harry Helmsey. Looks like a good medical information reference book of the historical facts. Your review is great, Tayejim1. Thanks.
megan25006
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan25006.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by megan25006 »

This sounds like a very interesting and educational book about a doctor with extensive knowledge of brain chemistry psychology, world history and life itself. The first chapter is a bit heavy on the history for my taste, but very well written. I am excited to dig deeper into this book and get to the medicine.
TerTa
Favorite Author: Sally Forbes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terta.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly
fav_author_id: 211260

Post by TerTa »

Memories of a brain doctor is a book that gives a lot of informative medical content but manages to make it an interesting read for people who may not like the inflexibility or stiffness of learning from a textbook. I love the ability of the book to explain Parkinson's disease in a very detailed manner and how it relates to many historical figures, thereby giving a possible reason for some things they may have done in the past.
This BOTD has a very well detailed and beautifully written review on OnlinebookClub.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It sounds like an interesting book; it's always intriguing learning about the way the human mind works, and I am delighted to read that the author did not use difficult-to-understand medical terminology. I'd be interested in the author's take on what makes a person evil. Thanks for the enthralling review.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This really is an eye-opener. It will expand your knowledge on various neurological diseases with insights on historical data and important figures. Thanks for your review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm not really interested in reading about historical figures and their aliments, so I am going to pass on this one.
saddrainboww
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by saddrainboww »

This was a great review and shows that you have definitely read the book! Too bad that it had grammatical errors but good if that was the only thing you disliked about it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”