Official Review: The Night Jesus Met Santa Claus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Official Review: The Night Jesus Met Santa Claus

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Night Jesus Met Santa Claus" by Rob Saranpa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Night Jesus Met Santa Claus is a delightfully unique take on the Christmas story for young children. When Santa arrives at one house on Christmas eve, he unexpectedly meets a stranger who introduces Himself as Jesus Christ. Santa checks his list once, he checks it twice, but he has to admit he has never met Jesus Christ before. People are always so busy asking Santa for favors, no one has ever bothered to tell him about the savior before.

Jesus is very understanding as the same thing happens to Him all the time. Jesus shares with Santa all about His love and grace. After Santa gratefully accepts the gift of salvation, he finds that Jesus has filled his sack with an unexpected, extra-special gift to take to children around the world.

The author, Rob Saranpa, is a professional musician. The book actually started as a song he wrote, which explains the lyrical quality of the words in the story. The book has been edited exceptionally well. I did not find a single typo or grammatical error. The story was clearly written for a Christian audience. Those who speak of wanting to put the “Christ back into Christmas” will find this book a delightful parable that does precisely that.

The vocabulary used is clear, simple, and, as previously mentioned, quite lyrical with a musical cadence. Some of the lines also rhyme. The language was my favorite part of the book. While some conservative Christians might be concerned that mixing Santa Claus with Jesus Christ will cause confusion in the minds of their children, The Night Jesus Met Santa Claus is actually an effective way to bring Christ into Christmas. By using figures familiar to young children, the basic concepts of divine grace and Jesus’ love for sinners are presented in a story sure to charm young children who have been taught to believe in Santa Claus.

The book also has original artwork. These are not your typical computer-generated images so commonly seen in most children’s books nowadays. These are lovely, colorful, and extremely detailed watercolors by John Hicks. The result is a beautifully illustrated picture book that will charm toddlers and beginning readers alike. There was honestly nothing I disliked about the book. The Night Jesus Met Santa Claus deserves every one of four out of four stars for its original storyline, its lyrical word choice, its superior editing, and its charming, original artwork.

The Night Jesus Met Santa Claus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Theresa Ammons Pinkston
Favorite Book: Pay It Forward
Currently Reading: The Day I Had a Bulldozer
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-ammons-pinkston.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Theresa Ammons Pinkston »

Sounds wonderful. I hope to read The Night Jesus Met Santa Clause very soon!
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

Seems to be enjoyable! I will this story. Nice review
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The book sounds like an interesting read. I might just add it as a Christmas gift this year. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Sunflower_Mom wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 20:07 Sounds wonderful. I hope to read The Night Jesus Met Santa Clause very soon!
Thanks for your comment! It's a charming little story I hope you enjoy. :) It's also a song you can watch on YouTube!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Tonze wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 06:57 Seems to be enjoyable! I will this story. Nice review
Thanks for your comment, Tonze. It's certainly a unique way to put "Christ" back into "Christmas." :)
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Nqobile771 wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 07:50 The book sounds like an interesting read. I might just add it as a Christmas gift this year. Great review.
Thanks for your comment. For those wanting to put "Christ back into Christmas," it can be a help. :)
Laura Lee

Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I already love this book. I wonder how Santa forgot to include Santa in his list.
MarvMike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by MarvMike »

A nice one, will recommend for all Christians. We need to put "Christ back into Christmas". Nice review.
Elise_shuford
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elise_shuford »

Sounds very nice and very fun to read I can’t wait to read about it.
Kellinewton42
Currently Reading: The Pine Hill Inn
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellinewton42.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by Kellinewton42 »

This looks like a wonderful story! What a great way to have both Jesus and Santa in Christmas. I enjoyed your review and look forward to reading this story and sharing with my own children!
Priscam_83
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Priscam_83 »

It sounds like a book I would love to read to my kids
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I don’t know why, but given the title, this story was nothing like I expected. What a clever book! As always, your review was thoughtful and thorough, Laura Lee. Thanks for your take.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Children's Books”